FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:11 pm
filean

Programs: Avianca Liifemiles Gold, SPG Gold, LanPass Premium Silver, IHG Gold, Amex Platinum
Smile Avianca/Lifemiles will not refund Ecuador's "International Toursim Fee" of USD 50

Hi,

First post, so please be kind.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience getting all taxes refunded from a cancelled flight out of Ecuador. Recently Ecuador started charging a USD 50 tax for international tickets originating out of Ecuador.

I had booked a GYE-SAL-IAH-YEG award booking on Lifemiles on June 23 which I had to cancel due to a family emergency. Total taxes were USD 109.83 (including that ludicrous USD 50 tax).

Avianca cancelled the ticket and refunded taxes totalling USD 59.83. I emailed them and was instructed to wait for a month for the remaining USD 50 credit. After a month, I write again, and now they state that the USD 50 tax is actually non-refundable, so that's why I got the partial refund.

I have contacted the Dirección General de Aviación Civil in Ecuador for confirmation of this policy, but as always, responses are taking forever and misinformation abounds. I have not heard of a non-refundable tax on air tickets before...

So... Has anyone been in a similar situation here? Did you get all taxes refunded?

Lifemiles was my primary program, but I am quickly moving away from them--terrible customer service plagued with misinformation.

Thanks!