Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, AV
Originally Posted by mlqsko
+1. The taxes refund time is entirely up to the card issuer, mine always under 2 weeks.
Mine have still not been processed. I cancelled two itineraries on Sept. 9, 2015. So, we're at 4 months now. I just sent another email. I've scoured my credit card statements [It's a Delta Ame card] ... they're not much (maybe $60?), but I would like to know that this actually works.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gashwingomes
Mine have still not been processed. I cancelled two itineraries on Sept. 9, 2015. So, we're at 4 months now. I just sent another email. I've scoured my credit card statements [It's a Delta Ame card] ... they're not much (maybe $60?), but I would like to know that this actually works.
Doesn't help your situation, but in my situation below, my refund was back into my card provider in about a week.

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just successfully cancelled for the first time, a LM award. Process took 10m 25 seconds So am extremely happy with that and the points are back into my account. Whether they refund the taxes in the next three months I don't really care and won't chase them - its only US$32.xx anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Doesn't help your situation, but in my situation below, my refund was back into my card provider in about a week.
Yeah. I think I'm just having bad luck. So, the last email to support@lifemiles got a fairly prompt response, with some information!

We have verified your tickets (202-xxx and 202-yyy)and confirmed that the tax refund stills pending to authorize. In this case, due to the delay on this process, we recommend you to contact our billing department at the email [email protected], you must send the following information:

Email subject: Refund request
You ticket number
Your phone number
LifeMiles account from which the booking was redeemed

For a prompt response, we recommend you to contact our refund department via Call Center at the following hours:

Monday to Saturday: 8:00 to 17:00 (Colombia Time)

Thank you for your valuable time.

Kind regards,
Just sent off an email to the billing department (in English & Spanish -- hey why not?). It's about 12 more hours before the call center opens in Bogota. Can't hurt sending the email now ...

Ball -- head back over to them!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:36 am

Just sent off an email to the billing department (in English & Spanish -- hey why not?). It's about 12 more hours before the call center opens in Bogota. Can't hurt sending the email now ...

Ball -- head back over to them!
The Saga Continues ...

So, after a few days of no response to the email I sent, I called the Call Center, and explained the situation to the agent. She put me on hold for a long time (and did come back a couple of times to apologize for the time it was taking), and eventually came back saying that the ticket numbers (the original ones, presumably) with which the tickets were booked would no longer work, because the tickets had been changed (? I didn't understand this part). I needed to write down two new ticket numbers, and then send an email to a different email address ([email protected]) and it should be processed.

I speak Spanish (fairly fluently, but it's a fourth language), so I got everything clarified, and am now sending off the email.

Total call time: 35+ min. [... that too a call late at night in my current location -- South Asia -- via the internet, to an 800 number in the US, going thence to Colombia. Ha!]

This is almost amusing in its complexity!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, PC Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The Saga Continues ...

So, after a few days of no response to the email I sent, I called the Call Center, and explained the situation to the agent. She put me on hold for a long time (and did come back a couple of times to apologize for the time it was taking), and eventually came back saying that the ticket numbers (the original ones, presumably) with which the tickets were booked would no longer work, because the tickets had been changed (? I didn't understand this part). I needed to write down two new ticket numbers, and then send an email to a different email address ([email protected]) and it should be processed.

I speak Spanish (fairly fluently, but it's a fourth language), so I got everything clarified, and am now sending off the email.

Total call time: 35+ min. [... that too a call late at night in my current location -- South Asia -- via the internet, to an 800 number in the US, going thence to Colombia. Ha!]

This is almost amusing in its complexity!
I have had a similar experience. Cancelled a ticket in August 15 and didn't receive the refund within 3 weeks as I have with previous cancellations. The issue which has caused the refund delay in my situation is that the ticket was reissued due to a flight change by the carrier. The refund was requested against the 'new' ticket number which did not have taxes attached to it, so the refund was rejected. (Of course they don't tell you this - I only found out accidentally when I was given the cancellation code and looked up the status online).

The refund needed to be requested against the original ticket number. It also took me about 4 months of emailing and calling Life miles to no avail - extremely frustrating as no one was able to assist me.

I ended up sending a private message on Facebook to Avianca. It has taken a few months, (I kept sending a message to them weekly requesting an update) but was finally advised today that the refund was processed on the 13th Jan, so I should have the funds in my account shortly.

I feel your pain - it has been the most frustrating experience however as the taxes paid ($400) were quite high, I wasn't willing to give up. Hang in there, you will receive you taxes eventually
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
just cancelled a lifemiles award. straight forward call, as per wiki instructions, including all automated recordings for credit card details. miles in account at end of call 9 minutes. will now await the taxes... $36.

PS Attempted to send email to support to ask them to call me... nope... reply below. Also tried to all out of hours, and was informed to call back when lifemiles desk was open.

A pleasure to greet you,

In order to request refund for these reservations xxxxxx, you have to pay $50.00 USD plus applicable taxes, per each ticket and this procedure can only be processed by contacting our Call Center. You may access the phone numbers by clicking here.

It is important to mention that the refund must be requested by the owner of the LifeMiles account used to redeem the ticket. Remember that your Pin Call Center will be required for this process.

As a note, according to our refund policy, you may only process the cancellation fee at least 48 hours before the departing flight or 24 hours after the first scheduled flight and until the valid period of your ticket.

Also, if you used the flexible payment (miles plus money) option to purchase the ticket, the refund will be received fully in miles, only the applicable taxes will be added back to the same credit card used to purchase the ticket and consider the Star Alliance redemption fee is not refundable.

Additionally, the estimated timeframe to complete the refund process is the following:

For miles: from 1 to 72 hours.
For the applicable taxes: from 2 to 3 month.
Below, we describe the conditions of the tickets:

Your tickets do not accrue miles.
The tickets are not transferable to another person.
Your tickets have a validity of one year commencing on their date of issue; which was September 15th, 2015 (this is the timeframe to make any change of date in the ticket, complete the travel and request refund).
Thank you for using our services; if you have any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best Regards,
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:29 am

My Mastercard transaction was declined twice. The same agent, who was based in El Salvador, suggested that I use Amex and she reported that Amex never declines transactions with Avianca. I was successful in canceling 3 award reservations using Amex.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
I've got a Lifemiles award for a UA flight that's about 3 months out. I found a better flight on AA, so I'll definitely be cancelling this, but was wondering if it's worth waiting a month or two in the hopes that UA makes any schedule changes to my flights. If they did, would LifeMiles let me cancel the ticket without paying the cancellation fee?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:52 pm

I think it would have to be a significant schedule change. I had a similar situation. They were able to offer accommodation on another flight, so they insisted that if I wanted to cancel anyway I'd have to pay the cancellation fee and forfeit the booking fee. You can call and try your luck: if they can't find alternative accommodation on the same day and at around the same time (within reason), they might let you out with a full refund?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shutter41
I've got a Lifemiles award for a UA flight that's about 3 months out. I found a better flight on AA, so I'll definitely be cancelling this, but was wondering if it's worth waiting a month or two in the hopes that UA makes any schedule changes to my flights. If they did, would LifeMiles let me cancel the ticket without paying the cancellation fee?
Difficult one. I had one which they insisted on changing to another flight.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
It's an international route with not that many flights a day on UA, so I guess it's possible that I would be able to argue there isn't a suitable alternative, but based on what you guys have said, it's probably not worth trying. I'll go ahead and cancel it. Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shutter41
It's an international route with not that many flights a day on UA, so I guess it's possible that I would be able to argue there isn't a suitable alternative, but based on what you guys have said, it's probably not worth trying. I'll go ahead and cancel it. Thanks!
If you got nothing to loose by waiting it out then why not? If they can't get you alternative flights closer to the date then they might just have to cancel it.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond
How do I set up a phone PIN thru my online account? I don't see this anywhere in my account. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by jeffers
How do I set up a phone PIN thru my online account? I don't see this anywhere in my account. Thanks.
Your LifeMiles --> Information & Preferences --> Manage the basics --> PIN for Call Center
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Your LifeMiles --> Information & Preferences --> Manage the basics --> PIN for Call Center
Don't forget you need to log out and then log back in for the PIN to actually be saved on your account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.