Wiki Posts
Search

Can not buy miles on LM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Can not buy miles on LM

I was trying to buy some LM today as it opened the 2x1 bonus again. However, after I typed all my credit card info and submitted, it showed that "Dear member, we could not process the credit card transaction. Please call our call center to check your transaction status where we will assist you in solving this issue. Please have at hand your frequent flyer number ready". I tried twice with two different credit cards and got the same results. My credit cards have a 1 dollar pending charge for AVIANCA LIFEMILES VI. Did any one have the same issue? Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: BA BD SA
It looks as though your bank has declined the purchase. AV seems to have put through a "test" amount of $1 to check that the card is valid. But then when putting through the entire amount the bank declines it. I'd call the bank first to make sure.

This could be because they don't trust an unusual purchasing pattern - i.e. suddenly a charge from Colombia or Salvador. Or it could also be that the bank mistrusts the pattern of a $1 charge followed by a large amount. (My bank flagged a fraudulent transaction when BA locally did the same thing. I was really annoyed to get a call in the middle of the night to alert me to this suspected "fraud". I was told that fraudsters also put through a small initial amount to see if a card is working before hitting it with a large purchase.)

It could also be a mismatch of address data. For example, LifeMiles transactions seem to work better for me if I put in a province in the address (even though that is not something we really use here).

Either way you bank should be your first port of call to clarify what has come through on their end.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
It looks as though your bank has declined the purchase. AV seems to have put through a "test" amount of $1 to check that the card is valid. But then when putting through the entire amount the bank declines it. I'd call the bank first to make sure.

This could be because they don't trust an unusual purchasing pattern - i.e. suddenly a charge from Colombia or Salvador. Or it could also be that the bank mistrusts the pattern of a $1 charge followed by a large amount. (My bank flagged a fraudulent transaction when BA locally did the same thing. I was really annoyed to get a call in the middle of the night to alert me to this suspected "fraud". I was told that fraudsters also put through a small initial amount to see if a card is working before hitting it with a large purchase.)

It could also be a mismatch of address data. For example, LifeMiles transactions seem to work better for me if I put in a province in the address (even though that is not something we really use here).

Either way you bank should be your first port of call to clarify what has come through on their end.
thanks a lot! this is very helpful
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I suggest trying a different card. Could be the country the card is from is flagged for fraud.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
There are many posts on this topic in the thread Lifemiles serious booking problems beware.

I have had the very same problem many times. I now use only my Chase United Club card, as it always works. Funny, but my US Bank Lifemiles card is rejected every time!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:44 am

tried today but failed to buy, obviously not a credit card issue
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:52 am

Dear customer,

We could not process the credit card transaction. Please call our call center TACA ó Avianca to check your transaction status where we will assist you in solving this issue. Please have at hand your frequent flyer number 134xxxxxxxxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.