Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:50 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
OK there appears to be a stack of J inventory missing. You cannot even book straight up IAD FRA in J and connections via BRU for example are rare as chicken lips.

I am seeing chains whores for 25K in J but via C2.5 in Nov so it still has a pulse
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:55 pm

They must be cleaning house. I wish I wouldn't have waisted a cc app on this thinking the old tricks would still work
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:09 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DarrellDoesDallas
They must be cleaning house. I wish I wouldn't have waisted a cc app on this thinking the old tricks would still work
But it's nothing to do with "old tricks" if you cannot get straightforward J inventory between two Star hubs.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Mods to the LM programming

There definitely seems to be some level of fixing going on. Can see individual segments on the same flights that I have previously booked, but the whole itinerary does not show up.

They haven't fixed the zone for Chain, because Chain to C2 prices at the C1 C2 level.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
dead. cant find anything. individual segment show up, search as a city pair. no more.
no Y, no J. nah nah nah.

i am stuck with 60K miles. oh well. this is fun while it lasts.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
We're talking about 2 tricks here, right? Gummy and chainsaw?

or more?

Last edited by zagy; Apr 11, 2014 at 1:09 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
We're talking about everything here, zagy.

There seems to be a massive reduction in availability, even for very simple untricked routes.

It seems to be a combination of factors, but it can be safely said that flights via the hubs in C1 are most affected.

There have been changes at the capacity *A partners make available to LM, and for sure it didn't help that lots of people tried to use up their US miles before the alliance change. (they've been right if you look at the program changes AA immediately introduced)

But there's another element at work: The infamous Avianca route replacer we've already written about.
It seems to try to take over more routes than before, and if Avianca doesn't offer availability, so does the whole system.
You can see this by searching for LHR-EWR availability in economy class on April 15: if you go with Smart Search, you will see the unmistakable sign that Avianca tries to serve that route - the different layout. No availability.

If you search the same date with UA as prefered airline, you will only see availability in first class (because Avianca doesn't offer that).
However if you search the same date with "Star Alliance", you will see lots of UA flights available in all three classes!!!

This shows that the Avianca replacer algorithm targets direct flights where a prefered airline is specified.
This kills some of the routes from/to C1/C2 hubs where Avianca/Taca operate, when UA or AC has to be set.
It also seems to target flight segments of connection flights, even when StarAlliance is specified (see chainsaw).

Hence if neither origin nor destination is served by Avianca, but a segment in the middle of the route is, and if the whole route can't be played in first, we're in trouble. In more trouble than before, with the anyway already scarce availabilty...

I don't think this deliberately went against our friendly Chainy Bears. But the effect is just the same.

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Apr 11, 2014 at 2:03 am Reason: found some evidence
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Starbucks Gold
I can still get F availability on a lot of HC flights.
I don't quite get why CS is not working any more.
Not even in Y.

edit: see below.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by zagy
We're talking about 2 tricks here, right? Gummy and chainsaw?

or more?
CS has not been fixed. 100%.
I have got a working route. Target is also outzoned, but got availability.
edit: Same with Gummybear. Can get the above target to gummy. Not a lot of availability, but still possible.

Last edited by FlyingLasse; Apr 11, 2014 at 5:20 am
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by FlyingLasse
CS has not been fixed. 100%.
I have got a working route. Target is also outzoned, but got availability.
edit: Same with Gummybear. Can get the above target to gummy. Not a lot of availability, but still possible.
Have you read my post, the one above yours? It explains why you see F but have difficulty with Y and C. And why some very different destinations will work.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Have you read my post, the one above yours? It explains why you see F but have difficulty with Y and C. And why some very different destinations will work.
Sorry, didnt understand that you ment the same
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:03 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
If it were dead in J then why would it not also be dead in Y?

Whilst I am not finding anything in J, I am finding a lot of AV where you wouldn't expect it. For example, it was pretty easy to find BOG FRA in J on LH before, now it is BOG LHR AV followed by LHR FRA LH.

Also MIA to TYO via LIM on AV then back up to IAH on UA That's just plain daft

I think it is just LM being crap at IT and fiddling with inventory
Perhaps AV adding their new EU services in has disrupted inventory management. So too has US leaving Star - look what's happened for straightforward UA MP award availability, exactly as we had feared.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:14 pm

Routing Question

I have a routing question and would appreciate the help of one of the LM gurus here, but I can't think of a good way to code it to not give away a trick. Anyone care to PM me and assist?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
^^^^^
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
We're talking about everything here, zagy.

There seems to be a massive reduction in availability, even for very simple untricked routes.

It seems to be a combination of factors, but it can be safely said that flights via the hubs in C1 are most affected.

There have been changes at the capacity *A partners make available to LM, and for sure it didn't help that lots of people tried to use up their US miles before the alliance change. (they've been right if you look at the program changes AA immediately introduced)

But there's another element at work: The infamous Avianca route replacer we've already written about.
It seems to try to take over more routes than before, and if Avianca doesn't offer availability, so does the whole system.
You can see this by searching for LHR-EWR availability in economy class on April 15: if you go with Smart Search, you will see the unmistakable sign that Avianca tries to serve that route - the different layout. No availability.

If you search the same date with UA as prefered airline, you will only see availability in first class (because Avianca doesn't offer that).
However if you search the same date with "Star Alliance", you will see lots of UA flights available in all three classes!!!

This shows that the Avianca replacer algorithm targets direct flights where a prefered airline is specified.
This kills some of the routes from/to C1/C2 hubs where Avianca/Taca operate, when UA or AC has to be set.
It also seems to target flight segments of connection flights, even when StarAlliance is specified (see chainsaw).

Hence if neither origin nor destination is served by Avianca, but a segment in the middle of the route is, and if the whole route can't be played in first, we're in trouble. In more trouble than before, with the anyway already scarce availabilty...

I don't think this deliberately went against our friendly Chainy Bears. But the effect is just the same.
^^^^^
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Hi All,

I'm looking for C6 - C3 in J for late May. Could you please PM me if anyone knows of any tricks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.