Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: This thread has been superseded by the thread entitled LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0. Please follow the discussion there.

Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: buying the max (60%) isn't always the best deal (unless you're purchasing all miles right there). Check here for the best CPM.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:26 pm

I'm just wondering if any of you have booked j on a certain airline to the gummy bear with a super tight 45 min connection in an asian airport. Has anyone flown this yet? flightaware shows around half those flights are delayed which might cause me to misconnect:

any thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by scibuff
It can't get really any easier starting in HKG. Just do the HKG to gummybear origin for 15k/27.5k in Y/J and take it from there
Thanks for the advise. It all depends how we define "easy". For me, to shell out 27.5k for a convoluted route, I would rather shell out another 10k for a direct (or one connection) flight back home using regular redemption. Hence my quest for other possible trick.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:46 pm

Early yesterday morning, I can find LH J from LM while UA show zero availability (in Nov no less). Now LH J availability are significant less from LM compare to UA (UA phantom?).

Looking at couple samples, individual flights are available (connection < 8 hrs) but the whole trip won't work for gummy bear or chainsaw...Hopefully this is temporary glitch...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Early yesterday morning, I can find LH J from LM while UA show zero availability (in Nov no less). Now LH J availability are significant less from LM compare to UA (UA phantom?).

Looking at couple samples, individual flights are available (connection < 8 hrs) but the whole trip won't work for gummy bear or chainsaw...Hopefully this is temporary glitch...
Well elsewhere people are reporting that LH J availability now disappears at 6 months out.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA,AA,AS,AV
C1-C2 trick it for any month, any cabin
Anyone else not seeing anything given usual throwaways?
I don't think it's an availability problem because if you search for local segments, they are there...

Was hoping for a J to C2 this summer
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if all *A members limit their seats by the majority to their own program.
Have you ever tried to book NZ C or SQ F on any other program? Good luck.

I'm really surprised that *A is not giving clear instructions to all their member of how much % of their seats they need to release to the other members, its a typical prisoner dilemma and they are just shooting at each other.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum
c1-c2

I've also seen less availability recently but it looks like a mere availability issue, not a fix.

in a side note: while searching out of C2, I saw this C2-C3-C1 for 30k without any tricks involved! just pure LM attitude
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by superpointsLXflyer
I had the same experience- payment failed and the seats were lost in the Lifemiles Nirvana for 72hrs. Bad people could even try to abuse this feature
If this involves a regular booking, you could call them, give your FF # or PNR and pay on the phone. But don't do that for anything "tricky".

Originally Posted by creditor
in a side note: while searching out of C2, I saw this C2-C3-C1 for 30k without any tricks involved!
Flying to Hawaii?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I´ll give an indication of how this might work because I recently had a changed UA ticket. I booked two legs and casually checking I noticed that UA had cancelled the flight for the first leg and the second connection was leaving an hour before the first.

I called UA and they were very nice, offered me some options and I picked one. Then had to wait about another 30 mins on the phone whilst they "authorised" it. Then they let me choose seats but told me I have to call Avianca to re-ticket it.

Avianca was initially clueless and said "Sorry no award seats on the other flights you want" I had to explain to them that I was happy with the original itinerary but UA changed it which made it unfeasible, and they have now worked through options with me and authorised one of those options. AV just needs to reissue the ticket.

I got put through to a very useful guy that knew exactly what to do, took 5 minutes, UA online itinerary married back up to my ticket number again and had no alerts.

Just mentioned this as an example. UA in this instance could and did change my itinerary, first presumably automatically and then voluntarily when I called them. But that had to be reissued by AV with a phone call to them.
If you follow the Aussie site, they've had issues with this as TG has apparently made some changes to their schedules to various airports in Australia and messed up a few tickets people have purchased with AV. For some people, it has been extremely difficult dealing with AV and TG to get more space on other connecting flights etc. Others have some good tips on how to deal with AV.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: SEN
Originally Posted by tiger302
If this involves a regular booking, you could call them, give your FF # or PNR and pay on the phone.
It was a regular booking but I really had no nerves to call them. I preferred just to wait and checked again after 48hrs (nothing) and after 72hrs when the seats reappeared.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:55 am

C2-C1 Dead ?

Trying ex-c2-c1 with different dates routes, browsers and while availabilty shows, still it errors out when attempting to book... is it dead ?

ETA: the more i check the more that seems dead. hope its just a temporary glitch

Last edited by creditor; Apr 6, 2014 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by tiger302
If this involves a regular booking, you could call them, give your FF # or PNR and pay on the phone. But don't do that for anything "tricky".

Flying to Hawaii?
No
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:17 am

I dunno what's happening with chainsaw...

There's one date I've been watching where LM brought up two particular segments and today, it no longer shows that combo. Yet, both of the exact same segments are still available individually on NH/AC search engines. There used to be decent chainsaw availability from this particular city through the year, but I can't find a single date in whY or J this year anymore.

And no, it isn't because of availability on the airline where you can have frankfurters as a snack.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:27 am

The TATL availability in Y/J is atrocious right now ... no way of knowing whether they're fixing something or it has something to do with the business class war between *A and ST right now or something else ...
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by scibuff:22658331
The TATL availability in Y/J is atrocious right now ... no way of knowing whether they're fixing something or it has something to do with the business class war between *A and ST right now or something else ...
not cool at all. getting around availability issue is one thing. getting around a booking issue is another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.