FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1164955-quadra-smartium-business-lie-flat-routes-consolidated.html)

ORDnHKG Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by CLTF (Post 18238706)
Kind of confused
booked LHR-ICN in april
says quadra but ppl keep reporting old business on the route?

Guess you miss this link several posts above ?

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=1893

Mon, Fri only, and it is not 100% guranteed.

ethelman Mar 26, 2012 6:24 am

amenity etc

Despite my finding upgraded blankets, pillows etc on one QS flight, the second had the standard economy-type pillow and thin blanket.
The crew made up for this by ensuring the cabin temperature was just below Fahrenheit 451 throughout the flight.

bxs Mar 28, 2012 3:39 am

Just read in another thread that the Friday ICN -SYD is a QS service? Does anyone know if this is a (very remote) possibility or it is likely to happen quite regularly??

Thanks.

mjgodden Mar 28, 2012 3:56 am

Would be fairly unlikely according to the schedule posted a few replies prior to this. QS aircraft have been here a few times, but I don't believe there's any pattern.

As far as I can tell, it's a slim chance that you'll get the QS.

Mark

Superguy Apr 3, 2012 9:47 am

If you had the choice, would you take QS or 747 F? I'm taking a look at some fares and I can either take the QS out of SFO (or LAX late night) or take the 747 out of LAX on a D fare, then use miles to get into F on a *A award. Given the choice, which would you take?

Thanks!

azepine00 Apr 3, 2012 11:01 am

last sat 3/31 it waz old config on lax-icn even though the posted schedule claims qs daily starting 3/25
Quite a disappointment :td:

ORDnHKG Apr 3, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 18326828)
last sat 3/31 it waz old config on lax-icn even though the posted schedule claims qs daily starting 3/25
Quite a disappointment :td:

It was daily long before 3/25, that is only posted for the summer schedule. However, under the schedule for QS routes, it had already noted for both SFO-ICN-SFO and LAX-ICN-LAX, * Schedules may change anytime without prior notice.

http://us.flyasiana.com/Global/US/en...SVIEW&seq=1893

1kBill Apr 4, 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18326308)
If you had the choice, would you take QS or 747 F? I'm taking a look at some fares and I can either take the QS out of SFO (or LAX late night) or take the 747 out of LAX on a D fare, then use miles to get into F on a *A award. Given the choice, which would you take?

Thanks!

F for sure! But if you don't get the upgrade, you are stuck in those horrid slanted C seats in OZ 747. FWIW, I was lucky twice to get u/g's into OZ F. Very, very nice.

Superguy Apr 4, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 18332684)
F for sure! But if you don't get the upgrade, you are stuck in those horrid slanted C seats in OZ 747. FWIW, I was lucky twice to get u/g's into OZ F. Very, very nice.

Are they the ones similar to NH's C? I didn't find them terrible, though I definitely prefer the lie flat. The only gripe I had on NH is that the foot rests were too short, so my feet ended up hanging off the edge. Or I had to scrunch my feet. Seemed more geared to the Asian population (understandable), and given OZ is from the same area, I'm guessing they'd be similar.

How hard is it to upgrade on OZ?

OZ 201 seems to be priced a lot better than either QS flight out of SFO or LAX so boss may put me on that.

1kBill Apr 4, 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 18335963)
Are they the ones similar to NH's C?

Yes.

I didn't find them terrible, though I definitely prefer the lie flat. The only gripe I had on NH is that the foot rests were too short, so my feet ended up hanging off the edge. Or I had to scrunch my feet. Seemed more geared to the Asian population (understandable), and given OZ is from the same area, I'm guessing they'd be similar.

For me, once you go flat, you can't go back. I hate them. I am not particularly tall, so I don't have the foot rest problem. But I don't sleep nearly as well on them as I do on true lie-flat seats.

How hard is it to upgrade on OZ?

I did it twice and both times, there were empty seats. The problem would be in getting the upgrade space made available ahead of time, at least if using *A mileage upgrades. The second time, I guess I got an op-up, since the miles were never taken. However, OZ swapped a 747 combi in for the regular 744, so I am guessing that they were short by a good number of seats. It seemed to me that quite a few people were moved into F.

(I could be way off, but in OZ F, it seems that they put the paid F folks in the front and the upgraders in the back of F.

Just say'in based on a data set of 2.)

OZ 201 seems to be priced a lot better than either QS flight out of SFO or LAX so boss may put me on that.

I have seen this several times when looking at flight options, so I think they price the QS seats higher.

Superguy Apr 4, 2012 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill (Post 18336973)
For me, once you go flat, you can't go back. I hate them. I am not particularly tall, so I don't have the foot rest problem. But I don't sleep nearly as well on them as I do on true lie-flat seats.

I've been on UA's new C and also AC's C and I agree. I'm not particularly tall - only 5'9 with a 30" inseam. Maybe I just had a bad seat.

At any rate if the angled seats are the least desirable (though it's a toss up with the recliner style), it's still significantly better than Y.

I did it twice and both times, there were empty seats. The problem would be in getting the upgrade space made available ahead of time, at least if using *A mileage upgrades. The second time, I guess I got an op-up, since the miles were never taken. However, OZ swapped a 747 combi in for the regular 744, so I am guessing that they were short by a good number of seats. It seemed to me that quite a few people were moved into F.
Good to know.

I have seen this several times when looking at flight options, so I think they price the QS seats higher.
I've noticed in researching fare rules (looking for refundable C fares) that OZ's fare rules tack on a $300 surcharge each way for QS. Understandable as it's a better product than the older C. On some fares, I've seen SFO-ICN price out $600 more than LAX-ICN for the non-QS plane, so it seems valid. Looks like it can be avoided with an upgrade from a Y/B - IF it's available. I don't know how stingy OZ is with the QS product.

kuwakku Apr 17, 2012 10:21 pm

I flew ICN-NRT (OZ 102) last Friday and was surprised to see that the aircraft was substituted to the 777. It was Quadra Smartium seating and I was the only one in business. It was a nice way to end up trip.

Shimon Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

How rare is it for ICN-LHR to get the new seat on days other than Monday and Friday?

monahos Apr 18, 2012 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Shimon (Post 18416083)
How rare is it for ICN-LHR to get the new seat on days other than Monday and Friday?

The ICN-LHR-ICN rotation takes 26+ hours. Asiana has only 4 QS planes, most of which are tied up in a ICN-LAX-ICN-KIX-ICN-SFO-ICN loop.
Thus the one spare QS 772 is most likely to show up in a regional route on a day it is not scheduled for OZ 334/5 (W Th Sun), that is, not in LHR.
I assume the reported SYD sightings were on days either LAX or SFO got downgraded to the older cabin due to maintenance/ tech problems etc.

YorkieFlyer Apr 18, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by monahos (Post 18416361)
The ICN-LHR-ICN rotation takes 26+ hours. Asiana has only 4 QS planes, most of which are tied up in a ICN-LAX-ICN-KIX-ICN-SFO-ICN loop.
Thus the one spare QS 772 is most likely to show up in a regional route on a day it is not scheduled for OZ 334/5 (W Th Sun), that is, not in LHR.
I assume the reported SYD sightings were on days either LAX or SFO got downgraded to the older cabin due to maintenance/ tech problems etc.

we got a QS plane in January from ICN- LHR on a Saturday..Nice....