FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Quadra Smartium (Business Lie Flat) and Routes (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1164955-quadra-smartium-business-lie-flat-routes-consolidated.html)

unicon Sep 7, 11 12:54 am

I'm flying ICN-SFO on Sep 26th and just called the reservation center to ensure my flight is still the QS one and the agent did confirm that it is. Is this downgrade to old Biz a common occurrence on the ICN-SFO route? I was under the impression that this route was guaranteed to have to the QS as it is advertised that way.

Will be quite frustrating if our flight does end up getting downgraded as I had booked OZ over UA F because of the QS.

mjgodden Sep 7, 11 4:23 am

Originally Posted by unicon (Post 17067604)
I'm flying ICN-SFO on Sep 26th and just called the reservation center to ensure my flight is still the QS one and the agent did confirm that it is. Is this downgrade to old Biz a common occurrence on the ICN-SFO route? I was under the impression that this route was guaranteed to have to the QS as it is advertised that way.

Will be quite frustrating if our flight does end up getting downgraded as I had booked OZ over UA F because of the QS.

Fingers crossed that you get the QS, but I would pick the new UA F over OZ C class any day. Whilst soft products are closer, the UA F suite is much larger and provides more personal space over the albeit very good OZ Quadra Smartium.

Mark

DownUnderFlyer Sep 7, 11 4:52 am

Originally Posted by MrTed (Post 16856909)
QS is on OZ601 ICN-SYD 9th September, therefore anyone flying out on Saturday 10th September on OZ602 will be flying in comfort!

Originally Posted by glutenhab (Post 16868781)
Does this mean I am in luck for my ICN-SYD flight on Nov 22/11?
How about the ORD-ICN leg on Nov 21/11?

And the HKG-ICN & ICN-ORD in Jan/12?

Originally Posted by steviebas (Post 16871717)
Excellent!!!
Any insight as to whether it will fly OZ601 on Thursday 15th? We are coming through ICN en-route to SYD.

Originally Posted by pogonation (Post 16921068)
Thinking of a booking LHR-SYD on the 2nd wednesday of October and hoping to get the QS. The problem is the website timetable only shows where QS aircraft are allocated up until 01/09 so is there a chance that they change the timetable after this so that LHR won't get QS on Wednesdays?

I flew ICN-SYD a few times lately and never had QS. In fact, none of the flights had AVOD. So personally I would prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if you get something better.

ande777emt Sep 11, 11 11:54 am

Originally Posted by unicon (Post 17067604)

Talking to people I know who fly the route alot (my former employer has large offices in ICN and SFO) I know one who's done 12 RT's from ICN-SFO since they launched QS on the route and he's never had a down grade. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but LAX and SFO are two of the higher yielding routes for C, so I think OZ does their best to ensure there's a QS plane on those routes.

Originally Posted by mjgodden (Post 17068058)
Fingers crossed that you get the QS, but I would pick the new UA F over OZ C class any day. Whilst soft products are closer, the UA F suite is much larger and provides more personal space over the albeit very good OZ Quadra Smartium.

Mark

UA F has a slightly better seat with a little more space, but that's their only advantage. OZ's C soft product is definitely better than UA's F soft product. Better food and way better FA's.

1kBill Sep 11, 11 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 17091190)
UA F has a slightly better seat with a little more space, but that's their only advantage. OZ's C soft product is definitely better than UA's F soft product. Better food and way better FA's.

I disagree about the seat comparison. The UA F seat has way more space than OZ C seat. In fact, I find that the seats next to the windows feel very cramped.

OZ food is better, no contest. Now if they could just do something about the warm champagnes and hot cabins.

mjgodden Sep 11, 11 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 17091190)

UA's F suite is wider at the shoulder and seat, and more noticeably the nearer the "foot end" you go. On the 777, you have 4 abreast vs OZ's "4 plus 4 halves" where the footspace of the seat row on either side reduces the seat width.

I'm not knocking OZ. They're a great airline and I really like the QS seat. But on the route mentioned (SFO-ICN), I still would pick UA F. Sure, OZ's service will 99% likely be better, and food (at least the Korean food) would be better for sure on OZ. However, UA operate the 747 on that route, so I would have a 100% chance of their new suite vs a who knows what chance of the QS. You mention that OZ try to keep new product going to SFO and LAX which is great, but as we can see from this thread, subs can and do happen, not even keeping to the schedule that they had anticipated to be able to run. The chance of getting the old seat would be a major factor for me in going with another airline.

Of course YMMV, but all things being equal, in that situation, I'd still stick with UA F over OZ C. And hey, on the 747, it would even be a slightly quicker flight. :D

Mark

iker Sep 21, 11 4:37 pm

Would anyone know whether business class on today's (September 22nd) flight 214 from Seoul to San Francisco has the new Qudra Smartium seats?

iker Sep 22, 11 3:15 pm

My partner just returned from Seoul on today's flight 214 into San Francisco. Asiana flew the old business class. No AVOD, which didn't matter because his monitor only flickered. He originally had seat 4G but he ended up with a middle seat. He wasn't happy. The website indicates that the service to San Francisco has the new business class seats 7 days a week but that there's a caveat that last-minute subtitutions might be made. I learned about the equipment swap a couple weeks ago after I read in this thread that someone else's flight had been swapped. I contacted Asiana's tollfree number in the US. Though we were told to check back with Asiana as the plane could get swapped back to the new cabin. Two days ago in Guangzhou and yesterday upon check-in he explained that if the plane wasn't equipped with the new seats, he'd cancel the reservation and rebook on either Singapore or United. He was assured both times that he'd have a new seat. He got into the cabin to find old seats.

He feels that Asiana had been less than forthcoming and so won't be using Asiana for his travel needs, despite the better soft product. Partner typically tries to sleep immediately and so is more interested in hard product. Incidentally, he typically splits his flying 50/50 with Singapore and United from SFO-HKG and SFO-ICN, with an occasional flight to Tokyo on United or ANA.

ande777emt Oct 2, 11 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by iker (Post 17156377)
My partner just returned from Seoul on today's flight 214 into San Francisco. Asiana flew the old business class. No AVOD, which didn't matter because his monitor only flickered. He originally had seat 4G but he ended up with a middle seat. He wasn't happy. The website indicates that the service to San Francisco has the new business class seats 7 days a week but that there's a caveat that last-minute subtitutions might be made. I learned about the equipment swap a couple weeks ago after I read in this thread that someone else's flight had been swapped. I contacted Asiana's tollfree number in the US. Though we were told to check back with Asiana as the plane could get swapped back to the new cabin. Two days ago in Guangzhou and yesterday upon check-in he explained that if the plane wasn't equipped with the new seats, he'd cancel the reservation and rebook on either Singapore or United. He was assured both times that he'd have a new seat. He got into the cabin to find old seats.

He feels that Asiana had been less than forthcoming and so won't be using Asiana for his travel needs, despite the better soft product. Partner typically tries to sleep immediately and so is more interested in hard product. Incidentally, he typically splits his flying 50/50 with Singapore and United from SFO-HKG and SFO-ICN, with an occasional flight to Tokyo on United or ANA.

Although with any airline there's the possibility of equipment swaps; with UA he could fally victim to a 772 downgrade to ICN and get an even worse seat. As fare as SQ going, they only run 77W's on said route so the equipment will always be the same. I'd say give OZ another chance, mistakes/equipment swaps do happen and I'm sure the likelihood of it occurring is much greater on UA.

gzmourg Oct 5, 11 4:49 am

ICN - JFK QS Seats in C

Does anyone know why most of the flights to the US have QS seats in C except for JFK?

thekidisback Oct 5, 11 5:41 am

Originally Posted by gzmourg (Post 17223120)
Does anyone know why most of the flights to the US have QS seats in C except for JFK?

I dont know, but if I had to guess it could be that they're waiting for their two remaining 777's they have on order that will be 3 class equipped with QS???

A little off topic...why isn't Asiana fitting their planes with new seats fast enough?? And it's kind of inconsistent especially with Y. They should have started a while ago and just retrofit all the 777's with new C and Y (bigger ptv) with AVOD so there's no 50/50.

Shanye2233 Oct 5, 11 8:26 am

hi im looking at flight with OZ in late may next year im booking 4 seats in J. i dont want to risk not getting the QS seats if i dont get them i wil probably go with TG.
Im flying SYD-ICN-CDG are these seats available on this route and if so how can i confirm i will be getting these seats. I hear the old J doesnt even have AVOD :td:

ethelman Oct 7, 11 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 17223831)
hi im looking at flight with OZ in late may next year im booking 4 seats in J. i dont want to risk not getting the QS seats if i dont get them i wil probably go with TG.
Im flying SYD-ICN-CDG are these seats available on this route and if so how can i confirm i will be getting these seats. I hear the old J doesnt even have AVOD :td:

As nothing is certain in this world, I'd not try OZ but go with TG if I were you. TG has 2-2-2 in J.

What you hear is wrong, by the way. Some OZ J has AVOD in 777, some doesn't.

All OZ J is streets ahead of TG for service.

unavaca Oct 22, 11 9:06 am

SFO-ICN in C on 772 - Full Lie Flat?

I saw some news in early 2010 about OZ converting over their 772 to full lie-flat. Are they all done? If I book ICN-SFO in C on a 772, will I be guaranteed lie-flat?

lee_apromise Oct 22, 11 3:50 pm

Check the FAQ on OZ Forum. Everything is there.