Reload this Page >

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by tsastor
Just passed through Jakarta. The airport is really nice and clean once you pass security! ^ (Only criticism is the non-smoking signs are overlooked by some people.) While I spent an hour or so in terminal F waiting for a domestic Garuda flight I saw a sign that Citibank MC Gold customers can get into the Garuda lounge (for free?). Just started wondering if that applies to Diners Card holders as well, since Citi owns the Diners brand? Or can you buy a day pass to the Garuda lounge? So sorry I did not think of asking these questions while I was there!
Oops, I was waiting for StarG to answer...his secretary obviously did not show him your post .

Ok, most Indonesian issued credit cards at the gold level or higher grants you access to various lounges in CGK (and other cities). Usually one gets in for free plus another and/or they charge for that additional person.

I suppose you could (no idea though) buy a day pass but there would be no reason to. The lounges are ok but not worth it. Better if you just grab a cab to the Cengkareng golf course (driving range, bar and resto, massage, etc) or Sheraton 5 minutes away to kill time. Actually, the Starbucks in the Duty Free store has sofas and wireless and is about just as comfortable. I usually am in no rush to use the lounges in CGK.

As for Diners, check the Diners website for lounge access, if its not on there, you'd be hard pressed to convince them to let you in. Some lounges in Asia only lets Asian-issued Diners cardmembers in. You should call.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oontiveros
Oops, I was waiting for StarG to answer...his secretary obviously did not show him your post .
StarG has a secretary? Though he does almost all his work by himself. Or are you referring to his bodyguard.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Oops, I was waiting for StarG to answer...
It seems like you are more local than me now anyway

I suppose you could (no idea though) buy a day pass but there would be no reason to. The lounges are ok but not worth it. Better if you just grab a cab to the Cengkareng golf course (driving range, bar and resto, massage, etc) or Sheraton 5 minutes away to kill time. Actually, the Starbucks in the Duty Free store has sofas and wireless and is about just as comfortable. I usually am in no rush to use the lounges in CGK.
What oontiveros said. The best lounge in International terminal is the one used by SQ (The Esplanade Lounge) but even that is not worth buying a pass for IMO. I second the Starbucks suggestion.

So oontiveros, will you be in town for the Jakarta Mini Do?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
StarG has a secretary? Though he does almost all his work by himself. Or are you referring to his bodyguard.
"A" secretary??? StarG has a legion of pretty young ladies and no-necked flat-topped "security" men to service his requirements.

SBY has nothing on this guy.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"A" secretary??? StarG has a legion of pretty young ladies and no-necked flat-topped "security" men to service his requirements.
Alright....so much company on behalf of StarG's hangout.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:38 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by StarG
It seems like you are more local than me now anyway

What oontiveros said. The best lounge in International terminal is the one used by SQ (The Esplanade Lounge) but even that is not worth buying a pass for IMO. I second the Starbucks suggestion.
Should always trust you senior FT:ers! Was sitting at the Starbucks yesterday, great Jazz. Of course I tried to get into the Citibank lounge waving my Diners card, but failed miserably. A 60k rupias would have gotten me in at the domestic one, but then I would have missed the mocha and the groove. (+ some great babes as well...)
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SW, JB, Spirit; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Marquis790, glad you liked Jakarta and the experience was good. Were the "palaces" in Pondok Indah? Those houses are huge...

One thing though, as to your point 7, the FX fluctuations are just that, FX fluctuations...not inflation, which is about 7% or so per annum.
Yes, Jalan Pondok Indah. As to the 2nd point, guess that's why I'm not in finance! Seriously though, last time I was in Indonesia before this trip was October 2000, and during the 10 days there, nearly 10% "inflation" shift up in the conversion rate. Hard for me to tell the difference sometimes!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Hi,

I am visiting Jakarta very briefly in a couple of weeks, and am just seeking a bit of clarification on transport to and from the airport. I will be arriving at about 09:30 on Sunday, and having just flown all the way from the UK, might not be entirely awake! I have read a bit about Silverbird taxis, how much is this likely to cost, can I arrange a transfer in advance, and if not, where do I go at CGK?

Many thanks for any help
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by bhunwicks
Hi,

I am visiting Jakarta very briefly in a couple of weeks, and am just seeking a bit of clarification on transport to and from the airport. I will be arriving at about 09:30 on Sunday, and having just flown all the way from the UK, might not be entirely awake! I have read a bit about Silverbird taxis, how much is this likely to cost, can I arrange a transfer in advance, and if not, where do I go at CGK?

Many thanks for any help
Hiya, welcome to Jak! Um, can't help you with costs if you don't tell us where you are going. Jak is a huge city.

Yes so there are two things you can do, if you would like to prebook a car or Silverbird, you can go to http://www.bluebirdgroup.com and give them a ring.

The company has a car service i am prone to taking nowadays, called Goldenbird, which has a Volvo I can get for IDR150,000 (USD15) (ish ) from the airport to Kemang. You have to prebook this though, otherwise the volvo would be gone and they'd sell you a Camry (nice actually) for IDR225,000 or something to Kemang. The benefit of taking the car service is usually when traffic is bad. The last time I booked the Volvo was because I was landing at 5pm. Took me 2+ hours to get home. The Silverbird would have cost the same if not more.

You though, are landing at 0930 on a Sunday so you will not have any traffic issues. I don't think you need to prebook, but you can if you'd like. Just exit Customs and turn right, IGNORE ALL touts and go directly to the Silverbird stand. And you're done. Should be an easy ride.

If the plane if full (hence long queues at immigration, etc) and you feel you need a greeter, just PM me. There's a service for IDR150,000 that provides for a person to meet you doorside, prepays your Visa on Arrival (you will have to pay him back), walks you through/past Immigration and to your car. Good guy.

Have a good trip and maybe see you around.

Last edited by oontiveros; Oct 20, 2005 at 8:53 pm
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by tsastor
Should always trust you senior FT:ers! Was sitting at the Starbucks yesterday, great Jazz. Of course I tried to get into the Citibank lounge waving my Diners card, but failed miserably. A 60k rupias would have gotten me in at the domestic one, but then I would have missed the mocha and the groove. (+ some great babes as well...)
...glad it worked out for you.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:12 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

hello,

I will be traveling to Jakarta in roughly a month's time and would like to know where I can have an Indonesian meal replete with waitstaff and a nice ambience, a more upscale venue...thanks
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
hello,

I will be traveling to Jakarta in roughly a month's time and would like to know where I can have an Indonesian meal replete with waitstaff and a nice ambience, a more upscale venue...thanks
I think Oasis in the Menteng area should suffice.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Jakarta Car Rental?

Was just checking on whether there's anywhere to get reasonable rental prices on a car in Jakarta? Was looking to head off with a few people for a few days over Christmas down Pelabuhan Ratu and Sukabumi way.

Checking the various international rental chains, it looks like I'll be set back a fair bit just for a Kijang (between US$60 a day at Avis and US$90 from Europcar, with Hertz in between). Golden Bird offers packages with driver for Rp.750,000 a day too, which is OK, but then have to find somewhere for the driver at night as well.

Are there any local rental places that offer better rates, or are rentals just somewhat more expensive in Indonesia than Australia or the US?
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:29 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

from Jakarta to Bandung?

hello,

thank you for the response. how would you all recommend getting from Jakarta (specifically, near stesen Kota, if that matters) to Bandung for either a day trip or a one-night visit? are there a couple of historical sites to see? I was thinking either a flight or the train...thanks
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
hello,

thank you for the response. how would you all recommend getting from Jakarta (specifically, near stesen Kota, if that matters) to Bandung for either a day trip or a one-night visit? are there a couple of historical sites to see? I was thinking either a flight or the train...thanks
Driving would be ok. Road is nice and fast. There's also a Sheraton there if you would like to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.