Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Golf is great in Jakarta. Yes, the city is not pedestrian friendly and traffic is chaotic, alas, there is a lot more to Jakarta than meets the eye (at least in a first glance).
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:37 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Golf is great in Jakarta. Yes, the city is not pedestrian friendly and traffic is chaotic, alas, there is a lot more to Jakarta than meets the eye (at least in a first glance).
I'd recommend you go to Puncak about 45 mts out of Jakarta for golfing activity.
Try Gunung Putri golf course in Bogor.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:40 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
hello,

could anyone please recommend travel agencies in Jakarta, specifically near Jalan Thamrin or Mangga Dua? In addition, how would one go about trekking to East Timor? Is it still via Bali?

Terima kasih
A bit late for your post but I'm sure others can benefit from this

Use Smailing Tour for all your travel needs. They're a large travel company and have branches in different parts of Jakarta. I used them in February when I took my dad on a trip to Bali and Jogjakarta. It costs me $300 for both of our air tix and hotels for 6 days.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:53 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ive played many times in Bogor, in different courses and many are very good. However, these is no need to go that far, there are many excellent courses well inside the greater Jakarta area. Jagorawi, for example.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
I will be Jakarta for a few days arriving 19 Aug - anyone around for a drink and bite to eat?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:16 am

Jagorawi

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Ive played many times in Bogor, in different courses and many are very good. However, these is no need to go that far, there are many excellent courses well inside the greater Jakarta area. Jagorawi, for example.
If I'm not mistaken, the old course requires being with member. The new course - well, not up to par (sorry pun not intended).

Listing of golf courses:

http://indogolf.com/
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: SQ TPP
Hihi. Can anyone recommend a reliable travel agent for a CRTWSTAR ticket?
Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Oh, another resource for finding out what's on in Jakarta social events-wise is www.whatsnewjakarta.com.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:42 am
UMD

To me,

Best Japanese in Jakarta (wonder if it is still open):
Ebeya Japanese Steak House (A Fusion Japanese French Teppanyaki) restaurant is the best in Jakarta. It is located on the ground floor of the apartment side of the IC Mid Plaza. Run by a Japanese, it has a cocktail bar upon entering. All seatings are in the room (with one of those made believe Tataki style seating). Food to me, at least until 2005 when I left the city was just simply marvelous.

Best Chinese:
Cantonese style: Ming at Setia Budi (Singapore based TungLok group which is actually owned and run by Chinese Indonesian).

Home cooking style: Pick any hawker and food stalls along Mangga Besar, Pluit and Muara Karang....The Char Kway Tiaw, Bakmi Keriting, Duck Rice Noodle Soup, and Emi (Prawn Hokkien Noodles) Medan style are to die for.

Best Hainamese Chicken: a certain establishment on Mangga Besar that is popular for its Chicken Porridge - usually opens till 1 - 2 am.

Best Indonesian Padangnese Food in Jakarta:
Garuda Medan Style Minang Restaurant on both Pluit and Hayam Wuruk (this one is open for 24 hours)

Best Italian:
Zigollini at Mandarin Oriental

Best Western Restaurant:
Riva at Park Lane Hotel

Best Sundanese Food:
Pondok Laguna on Batu Tulis. This place also serves the best Fried Gurame Fish, Fish Head Curry and Stuff Tofu called Tahu Kipas. Nothing is more delicious to eat than the tofu in between bites of hot Indonesian padi chile.

Best Indonesian style Fried Chicken:
Padangese Style: Fadjar Padangnese Restaurant on Hayam Wuruk - a very small establishment located several doors before Dunkin' Donuts. The taste is just heavenly and the fried chicken is always just coming off hot oil.

Javanese Style: Still Ayam Goreng Suharti for me.

Best Satay:
Anywhere in Jakarta - after all, this is the capital of the country where satay originated. I do enjoy the Sate Padang with thick curry sauce, Sate Madura with the freshly grind peanut sauce, and Sate Kambing - lamb (also sometimes Sate Babi - pork) with Kecap Manis sauce and pickled shallots, cucumber, carrots, and chile.

I found Scusa and Dapur Babah a bit overated. However, I should give Nasi Goreng Bang Samin a try the next time I visit Dapur Babah again.

The best Nasi Goreng in Jakarta is still the Ojolali Nasi Goreng you can buy from the pushed mini cooking stalls that go to your neighborhood every evening. It is not particularly hygienic but I figured the hot temperature in cooking the food only after you order and the wonderful taste from Nasi Goreng could make up for any risk of food poisoning. In fact, I have not yet had any issues with my stomach every time I sample the delicious taste of Nasi Goreng Ojolali.

Enough about food, Jakarta does boast to be one of the best places for clubbing: There are lots of clubs that are just wow! with 2 mainstream clubbing scenes of "Kota" (inner city - Chinese / Asian style) or " Selatan" where only focuses on techno music. Karaoke experience could be a very exclusive experience as well. These places are amazing and they open until 5 every night with some even open for about 67 hours non stop over the weekend.

For Shopping, Jakarta is also very wonderful especially now with Senayan City. Plaza Senayan and Plaza Indonesia are still the best places to shop for branded goods while Taman Anggrek Mall, PIM 1 and 2, as well as Puri Indah Mall are just nice for regular shopping experience. Of course, to buy electronics and good quality copied DVDs, Mangga Dua Mall is the place although there was a major crackdown last year. I am not sure now if they still sell these copied DVDs in this mall.

For Accomodation, I like :
- Dharmawangsa Rosewood Hotel (a bit out of the way but service and room is amazing)
- The Ritz Carlton
- Four Seasons Jakarta
- Grand Hyatt - for the location and the grand lobby but a bit dissapointed with the refurbished rooms.
- Alila (very reasonable)
- Sheraton Media (very reasonable)

My favourite things to do when I still lived in Jakarta:
- Tea Plantations at Puncak area. The cool climate and the fragrance of tea leaves are just so refreshing.
- Drove to Bogor and the botanical garden
- Drove to Bandung for all the factory outlet fashion goods
- Flew to Yogyakarta for some cultural enrichment - especially the sunrise at Borobudur temple and a visit to Amanjiwo resort for one of the best ambience meal with the view of the temple. Trip to Prambanan was just as awsome.
- Flew to Bali just to have good quality relaxing fun time. Short break in Bali was always wonderful and enjoyable.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by UMD
To me,

Best Japanese in Jakarta (wonder if it is still open):
Ebeya Japanese Steak House (A Fusion Japanese French Teppanyaki) restaurant is the best in Jakarta. It is located on the ground floor of the apartment side of the IC Mid Plaza. Run by a Japanese, it has a cocktail bar upon entering. All seatings are in the room (with one of those made believe Tataki style seating). Food to me, at least until 2005 when I left the city was just simply marvelous.

SNIP

- Flew to Bali just to have good quality relaxing fun time. Short break in Bali was always wonderful and enjoyable.
Nice list!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by UMD
To me,
Best Sundanese Food:
Pondok Laguna on Batu Tulis. This place also serves the best Fried Gurame Fish, Fish Head Curry and Stuff Tofu called Tahu Kipas. Nothing is more delicious to eat than the tofu in between bites of hot Indonesian padi chile.

Best Indonesian style Fried Chicken:
Padangese Style: Fadjar Padangnese Restaurant on Hayam Wuruk - a very small establishment located several doors before Dunkin' Donuts. The taste is just heavenly and the fried chicken is always just coming off hot oil.

Javanese Style: Still Ayam Goreng Suharti for me.

Best Satay:
Anywhere in Jakarta - after all, this is the capital of the country where satay originated. I do enjoy the Sate Padang with thick curry sauce, Sate Madura with the freshly grind peanut sauce, and Sate Kambing - lamb (also sometimes Sate Babi - pork) with Kecap Manis sauce and pickled shallots, cucumber, carrots, and chile.

I found Scusa and Dapur Babah a bit overated. However, I should give Nasi Goreng Bang Samin a try the next time I visit Dapur Babah again.

The best Nasi Goreng in Jakarta is still the Ojolali Nasi Goreng you can buy from the pushed mini cooking stalls that go to your neighborhood every evening. It is not particularly hygienic but I figured the hot temperature in cooking the food only after you order and the wonderful taste from Nasi Goreng could make up for any risk of food poisoning. In fact, I have not yet had any issues with my stomach every time I sample the delicious taste of Nasi Goreng Ojolali.
Excellent list! ^^

I would add to the list, Best Indonesian-Style Noodles:
Bakmi Gajah Mada (also known as Bakmi GM). Located in Gajah Mada mall - facing the main road of that area, they have the best noodles in all of Jakarta. Their Bakmi Ayam is simply fantastic. Highly recommended.

Another fav food item to eat in CGK is the marktabak which is often sold in little stands by the roads at night. (which are more like vending stands you would see in US sports stadiums, rather than the ubiquitous khaki-lima2 you see everywhere in Jakarta).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Great list UMD!!

I'd add the Shangri-La to the list of recommended hotels. Quite nice with great service and facilities.

It was nice having BATS in the basement. Good place for live entertainment without leaving your hotel.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:15 pm

Transit at CGK

I may have to transit at CGK in Jan 2008.

Is it feasible to do (a la SIN and HKG) or is it a rarity meaning trouble?

Does anyone know the minimum connect time?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
There is soooo much to do in Indonesia. There is Bali and Jakarta, with Jakarta being one of the world's top notch cities, IMHO. Jakrata is pretty safe from my experience. Just keep your eyes open and explore. That's my advice. Best of luck!!!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:43 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
question for jakarta knowers...:
we will have to catch a very early morning flight out of CGK after arriving the day before. can you recommend a nice and clean hotel nearby the airport to minimize shuttle time?
you help is appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.