Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:48 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Java Bleu has, unfortunately, been closed down.
Got a note from a friend. Now the restaurant's name is Emilie, Jl. Senopati 39, Kebayoran Baru, Tel. 021-521-3626.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Babe
There are some very good Japanese & Korean places.
Gotta second this after my first excursion to Jl. Melawai 9 down Blok M way. Seriously dodgy-looking district, the kind where you get shifty-eyed types whispering "pussy pussy" at you, but the food is very authentic and quite affordable (unless you're Indonesian). It helps to know your way around a Japanese menu though...
Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by CGK
Got a note from a friend. Now the restaurant's name is Emilie, Jl. Senopati 39, Kebayoran Baru, Tel. 021-521-3626.
Thanks for posting this, CGK.^ My wife is already contemplating her first visit to the restaurant.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CGK
Thanks for the heads up.... however, I assume that Antoine is no longer cooking there, or....?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Help needed.....

Alright, thought I would throw this out there.....will be meeting up with the family in CGK at the beginning of Feb. Will be taken to a golf resort for the first few days(not my planning) and will having a "special" family dinner(both parents birthdays) at the end of the stay in Jakarta. My sister has already scouted out a place (she's been there for 2 years now) but if any of the "born and bred" in Jakarta types can offer up any suggestions I would truly appreciate it, so at least I can have some control on where my money will be spent ! Thanks in advance.......
QSG
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:12 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for the heads up.... however, I assume that Antoine is no longer cooking there, or....?
According to my friend, Antoine is still there. But the portion is smaller now. I heard even though same chef, the food is not very good.

Last edited by CGK; Jan 6, 2006 at 7:21 pm
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ah.... so Antoine is still there...? If the food is no longer good, then perhaps he isnt cooking, maybe just supervising. If Antoine is no longer cooking there, I wont bother going back Im afraid...
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:48 am

emilie

hi, i went to Emilie jl. Senopati 39, tel 521-3626 last month with a bunch of friends, the food was excellent, i had the beef burgundy, the best !! its rare to find anything this good any where in asia. I aslo met Antoine as usuall he was loud and noisy, he told me that he is the culinary consultant (so i am not sure if he is actually cooking or not.?? but it didnt matter to us.) and then he introduced us to another chef (new??) from Nice ?? france, apparently he is the one in charge.. Overall all of us were very happy with the food and the decor is very elegant aslo..very much different from the old Java Blue. I think this is the best French restaurant in town !!!

If you guys want to try fresh seafood...there is another alternative to Laguna and Sedap Malam but you need to travel just a little bit further to Saung Greenville, tel 565 9517. The Crab is huge comes from Sulawesi !! i mean really huge and fresh !, the place is always packed and if you decide to go just dress down and be prepared to get your hands dirty !!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Alright, thought I would throw this out there.....will be meeting up with the family in CGK at the beginning of Feb. Will be taken to a golf resort for the first few days(not my planning) and will having a "special" family dinner(both parents birthdays) at the end of the stay in Jakarta. My sister has already scouted out a place (she's been there for 2 years now) but if any of the "born and bred" in Jakarta types can offer up any suggestions I would truly appreciate it, so at least I can have some control on where my money will be spent ! Thanks in advance.......
QSG

Thanks for all your help ! Looks like I will be dragged off to the IC for an Italian dinner.........
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:00 am

I went about a month ago for a 14 hour stopover and have never been so terrified in all my life. I don't want to sound snobby but the places around the airport are shanty towns. If you must have to go to Jakarta for a stopover, I would sleep in the Sheraton Bandara, 3km away from the airport. Make sure you reserve with them in advance as they have a free airport shuttle and make sure you get this as the taxi drivers are mad, mounting on the pavement to get your business.

I recommend thart you stay away from this city and wait until order is restored there. If you want to go to a dirty, scary airport with stray cats roaming around then be my guest.

A note for the Indonesians, I hope you are not offended by this post but I'm just recounting the events that happened with me.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by josh2803
I went about a month ago for a 14 hour stopover and have never been so terrified in all my life. I don't want to sound snobby but the places around the airport are shanty towns. If you must have to go to Jakarta for a stopover, I would sleep in the Sheraton Bandara, 3km away from the airport. Make sure you reserve with them in advance as they have a free airport shuttle and make sure you get this as the taxi drivers are mad, mounting on the pavement to get your business.

I recommend thart you stay away from this city and wait until order is restored there. If you want to go to a dirty, scary airport with stray cats roaming around then be my guest.

A note for the Indonesians, I hope you are not offended by this post but I'm just recounting the events that happened with me.
I don't think any travel guides would recommend going around the airport CGK for a tourist. The good places to visit are in or around downtown.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Thanks for all your help ! Looks like I will be dragged off to the IC for an Italian dinner.........
Sorry to have neglected you Mr. QSG...
I thought that the question would have been better answered by others who know better. Anyway, assuming you are being dragged to Scusa at IC, you should be fine.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StarG
Sorry to have neglected you Mr. QSG...
I thought that the question would have been better answered by others who know better. Anyway, assuming you are being dragged to Scusa at IC, you should be fine.
I'll second the motion on Scusa at the IC - I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food when I dined there, and the service was very friendly as well. Definitely could do much worse for dining experiences in Jakarta, that's for sure (I know I have :P)
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josh2803
I went about a month ago for a 14 hour stopover and have never been so terrified in all my life.
I won't disagree with you that the first time visiting CGK can certainly be a somewhat overwhelming experience. Having been through there a few more times now though its dilapidated charms have somewhat grown on me. Certainly not one of the top airports in the world, but there's airports in the US that have left me feeling much more uncomfortable overall with the solicitations for money that are much more persistant, and the security that's much less friendly (yes TBIT at LAX, I'm looking at you! ).
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
I'll second the motion on Scusa at the IC - I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food when I dined there, and the service was very friendly as well. Definitely could do much worse for dining experiences in Jakarta, that's for sure (I know I have :P)
i begged to differ.. i always opt for a stand alone venue / non-hotel when i travel (or when i am not infact)..nothing wrong with Scusa but its just too boring, lack of character very much like any other hotel coffee shops. ..Ditto for Zigollini @ Mandarin Hotel. Here are my top picks of stand alone places to eat in Jakarta. I have lived in Jkt for 7 years and been to all the places..

for ambiance (but foodwise so so, but good for 1st timers to Indonesia)
Cafe Batavia (western and chinese), Dapur Babah (indonesian)

for chinese food
Angke Restaurant in Kota (a bit noisy) or upscale Cystal Jade (singapore chain) in BNI building

for seafood (forget ambiance .. and you need to ask local and taxi driver to find it..)
muara angke, saung greenville, sedap malam

for Japanese (plenty in Jkt, but these are the BEST!! ask any Japanese businessman)
Kho Tavern in Senayan Plaza and Ambai in Blok M

for French (new, good food and ambiance)
Emilie @ jalan senopati this is certainly my new favourite !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.