Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask us about Vietnam

Ask us about Vietnam

Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:45 pm
  #256  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Hi all. I'm flying out of HAN T2 fairly soon and will have access to both Song Hong Business lounge and the NIA Business Lounge, but not much time, so will probably just pick one. Can anyone give a view on how they compare / whether one is clearly better overall or in any particular respect? I won't need quiet areas or a 'business centre', so decision is probably based on overall comfort, which is less crowded on an early evening departure and perhaps which has better drinks. Food not really a concern. I might want a shower. Many thanks for any opinions.
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:26 am
  #257  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, U.K.
Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Posts: 3,358
Originally Posted by jackmiles
Hi again everyone,
I'm flying into and out of Hanoi (HAN). I'll be in biz class both times (SQ on arrival, QR on departure). Are there any express lanes or similar for customs / security / immigration for J pax?
Can't help with HAN unfortunately but I was in SGN last week, arrived on SQ and immigration was a nightmare. I was in Economy, as soon as I disembarked I legged it as fast as I could to the immigration hall where I was greeted with at least an hour's queue. Doesn't matter if you are in business, you queue up all the same. Leaving SGN was the same, could not see any priority line for Elite members or Premium class. A good 40 min queue for immigration then security. Expect the same in HAN if I were you. They process each passenger very SLOWLY...
​​​
jackmiles likes this.
Strawb is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:00 pm
  #258  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Strawb
Can't help with HAN unfortunately but I was in SGN last week, arrived on SQ and immigration was a nightmare. I was in Economy, as soon as I disembarked I legged it as fast as I could to the immigration hall where I was greeted with at least an hour's queue. Doesn't matter if you are in business, you queue up all the same. Leaving SGN was the same, could not see any priority line for Elite members or Premium class. A good 40 min queue for immigration then security. Expect the same in HAN if I were you. They process each passenger very SLOWLY...
​​​
Okay, thanks for the data points, Strawb. I've also read reports of people getting through immigration etc super quickly so maybe it depends somewhat on time of arrival/departure.
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 6:30 pm
  #259  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, U.K.
Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Posts: 3,358
Of course. Getting through immigration in Vietnam is very dependant on several factors; your time of arrival as you say. You could be unfortunate that your flight might be running slightly late and has landed after a bank of international arrivals, it could also be that you are fortunate enough to land ahead of those arrivals. HAN is the less busy of the two main international airports, with fewer international flights than SGN, but that's not to say you should expect arrival formalities to be smooth when you are flying in Business.
jackmiles likes this.
Strawb is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:05 pm
  #260  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Strawb
Of course. Getting through immigration in Vietnam is very dependant on several factors; your time of arrival as you say. You could be unfortunate that your flight might be running slightly late and has landed after a bank of international arrivals, it could also be that you are fortunate enough to land ahead of those arrivals. HAN is the less busy of the two main international airports, with fewer international flights than SGN, but that's not to say you should expect arrival formalities to be smooth when you are flying in Business.
Thanks again Strawb. Understood. Expectations suitably moderated. Perhaps I'll have an extra glass of something or other on the flight to ease any immigration queue pain
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:57 pm
  #261  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, U.K.
Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Posts: 3,358
Do come back and share your experience Jackmiles, I personally would like to know what the immigration situation is like at HAN. Cheers
Strawb is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:25 pm
  #262  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Strawb
Do come back and share your experience Jackmiles, I personally would like to know what the immigration situation is like at HAN. Cheers
For sure, will try to remember to make note of how long it all takes.
Strawb likes this.
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:20 pm
  #263  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 3,619
Have 3 days around Saigon. Want to check out some floating markets and/or farms. Any suggestions for a more authentic one?

Would you recommend Saigon or Can Tho (or elsewhere) as a base for floating market / delta exploration? Thinking 1 night for Saigon city, 2 nights for delta.
italdesign is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:16 pm
  #264  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DinHo Ecotour (Mekong Delta, Vietnam)
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by italdesign
Have 3 days around Saigon. Want to check out some floating markets and/or farms. Any suggestions for a more authentic one?

Would you recommend Saigon or Can Tho (or elsewhere) as a base for floating market / delta exploration? Thinking 1 night for Saigon city, 2 nights for delta.
If the floating market appeals to you, head to Can Tho for 2 nights (Can Tho is one of the provinces in Mekong Delta).
dinhoecotour is online now  
Old Feb 13, 2023, 1:46 pm
  #265  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 283
Does anyone have experience getting an E-Visa for a business trip? Do I still need an invitation letter or anything else?
ryder1650 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:23 am
  #266  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Strawb
Do come back and share your experience Jackmiles, I personally would like to know what the immigration situation is like at HAN. Cheers
Well, Strawb, I flew into HAN this morning and let me tell you, it was a breeeeeze. I did remember to note down timings. Now, no doubt it helped that I was lucky enough to be up the front of the plane in J, and towards the front of J cabin itself but here goes:
Landed 11:31am
Disembarked 11:43
Arrived immigration 11:44 (yes, ONE minute later, our gate was like right there)
Arrived baggage claim 11:46 (yes, TWO minutes later, the arrival hall was empty)
Got bag 12:02 (so much for my priority tag, many a bag out before mine - still, not bad)
Exited terminal 12:03
I'm serious, these are actual no BS times. So if I had gone HLO, I would have been out of the terminal about five minutes after walking off the plane. And even if one had been stuck down the back of Y, it could not have been much worse, certainly nothing like the hour or so you mentioned for SGN. So yeah, obviously also lucky with arriving to HAN when no other flights were arriving either.
Strawb and boonkoh like this.
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:55 am
  #267  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, U.K.
Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Posts: 3,358
Thanks for sharing your recent experience of HAN formalities Jackmiles. Half an hour to go through all arrival formalities is very impressive. I hope you had an enjoyable visit to Hanoi.
Strawb is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:21 am
  #268  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Strawb
Thanks for sharing your recent experience of HAN formalities Jackmiles. Half an hour to go through all arrival formalities is very impressive. I hope you had an enjoyable visit to Hanoi.
Hi again Strawb - in case you wanted to hear about my departure....kerbside at airport at 4:28pm today (Saturday 25th), in lounge at 4:50pm, and that was with a 5 min delay at check-in while they gave me a lounge pass, then took it back, then gave it out again - double-checking I was eligible and not on a 'lite' biz fare or whathaveyou sans lounge access. So could have been as fast as 17 minutes from stepping out of the car to walking into the lounge. Pretty good! Biz class certainly helped. Although no official biz line for immigration, there's a couple other choke points / documents checks were there are special jump-the-queue entrances for biz class and similar.
Strawb likes this.
jackmiles is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:08 am
  #269  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,125
I concur with both.

Arrived on SQ, mid evening, J, six days ago. Off the plane and met the driver within 30 minutes (baggage was slightly delayed and priority baggage did not come out first).

Departed on 5J flight to MNL, early morning, two days ago. 5J is a LCC, so I actually had to wait in a line to check bags - I am such a spoiled traveler. But even with that, I was curbside to the lounge in 40 minutes. (And it would have been faster if I had figured out sooner that the 'nice' gentleman in a suit who was randomly asking passengers in line if one or two could go ahead 'to keep the family together', was actually a tour guide trying to keep his group together. I put a stop to that rather firmly.)

The Priority Pass Song Hong Business Lounge was quite OK.

Arrival at MNL - that is a different story.

Last edited by lamphs; Feb 25, 2023 at 11:14 am
lamphs is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:16 am
  #270  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,125
Originally Posted by lamphs
Also, correct to assume that wash and fold laundry services are easy to locate in Hanoi? Thanks!
I stayed in the Old Quarter. Wash/dry/fold 3 spots from my hotel. Less than 24 hour turn. A week's worth of laundry (3 KG) for less than $3. And I noticed plenty of other places.

FYI...
lamphs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.