Ask us about Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
I don't have any hard facts on the situation with Van Don, but my opinion is that it has no relationship with private airport and airlines not wanting to fly.
I believe that it is a question of economic viability. Bamboo Airways and Vietjet within the last couple of weeks have cancelled a bunch of flights from their hub to smaller airports like Vinh, Pleiku, Can Tho,... and economic reason was cited by both airlines.
I noted that the parent company (FLC Group) behind Bamboo Airways has a share in the funding/construction of Van Don.
So, in my opinion, there is no such conspiracy.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by imm2b
Hello Flyertalkers, I'm currently based in Hanoi and I have lived in Saigon (HCM City). I have traveled extensively throughout Vietnam, especially to popular tourist destinations such as Halong Bay, Sapa, Ninh Binh, Hue, Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Da Lat, Mui Ne, Mekong Delta and Phu Quoc. I'll be happy to answer questions about Vietnam. There are lots of Vietnam experts in this forum, please join in. Safe travels everyone!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:18 pm

Hoi an or Ha Long Bay or both ?

Hello,

I will be traveling to Vietnam with my teenage daughter this coming July.

We will be in VN for 13 days all in all, with 5 nights in HCMC for business. While I would love to visit more cities in VN, it’s the travel to the cities that are most time consuming. Is it worth it to do both Hoi An and Ha Long and staying a few nights in these cities? Or just do one only. If you had your choice- which would you do- Ha long Bay or Hoi an? Please note - I’m traveling with a teenager.

We’ve never been to Hanoi and not a fan of HCMC.. is Hanoi like HCMC and are there enough things for us to see if we are there for 4-5 days?

Thank you!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gothamgirl
Hello,

We will be in VN for 13 days all in all, with 5 nights in HCMC for business. While I would love to visit more cities in VN, it’s the travel to the cities that are most time consuming. Is it worth it to do both Hoi An and Ha Long and staying a few nights in these cities? Or just do one only. If you had your choice- which would you do- Ha long Bay or Hoi an? Please note - I’m traveling with a teenager.

We’ve never been to Hanoi and not a fan of HCMC.. is Hanoi like HCMC and are there enough things for us to see if we are there for 4-5 days?

Thank you!
Some people love Hanoi. We did not. We found it to have all the same things we did not enjoy about HCMC: hard to walk because of scooters parked on sidewalks, hard to walk because of scooters in the streets. LOUD because the national pastime of Vietnam these days is honking scooter horns. That said, there is plenty to do and see in Hanoi - if you are willing to put up with these drawbacks.

It was too foggy for us to visit Ha Long during our time there, so cannot comment on it.

We lived in Da Nang for just under a month and we found Hoi An to be interesting for a couple days. Be aware: it is VERY touristy. But if you just embrace that fact you and your daughter will enjoy the lanterns and maybe even a night boat ride on the river. Walking around Hoi An during the day you can avoid the tourists...but you deal with the heat! The other advantage of Hoi An is that An Bang beach is just down the road and you can easily do both at the same time. But DONT believe the hype about riding bicycles back and forth. We saw many miserable sweaty tourists attempting this and it looked like hell. A cab back and forth is dirt cheap...and air conditioned!

I have written a couple of blog posts about our time in these places. They may be linked earlier in this thread too. Here they are:

Three Reasons We Did Not Enjoy Hanoi as Digital Nomads

What to Do in Hoi An for 48 Hours

Disclosure Statement: I wrote those blog posts. I earn a little bit of money from my blog whenever someone clicks on an Amazon link and buys something. The information in this FlyerTalk post is meant to stand on its own so you don't have to click on the links to get our experiences and opinions but they are provided in case you would like to.

Last edited by kokonutz; Jun 26, 2019 at 6:31 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:29 pm

Hi, I highly recommend Hoi An and nearby regions in the middle Vietnam, like Da Nang, Hue, My Son also captivating. I don't know you have been your trip to Vietnam or not. But if you're planning to visit Hoi An this December of 2019, be careful of rainy season.

Originally Posted by new2flyertalk
Thinking about a short trip to Vietnam, but I have a question about the toilets. Are the toilets eastern style, like in China, or western style? If eastern, is there any way to avoid it entirely while sightseeing at Vietnam?
Most of regions in Vietnam have the Western toilets with sanitary conditions. Also in some remote and mountain areas like the northern Vietnam, there are only Eastern toilets. But the western style is still available in hotels, restaurants and other tourist areas.
kokonutz likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:57 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:54 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by MattHall
I am planning a Vietnam holiday in April 2019. I’m currently planning to stay in HCMC for 3 nights and then 6-7 nights in Nha Trang. We always like to combine a city with a week of relaxing, culture, exploring and good food! Normally stay in hotels towards the luxury end. Am I forgetting anywhere and are these two places a good combination?
Hi, I guess you've had your vacation in Vietnam as well. But I would like to recommend some places for your upcoming trip to Vietnam. Like Nha Trang, Phu Quoc has beautiful beaches and luxury resorts to enjoy. For another backup, it would be perfect to combine other beaches in Khanh Hoa province, including Cam Ranh, Dai Lanh (Đại Lãnh) and Diep Son (Điệp Sơn) island - suitable for more experienced seeker.
Should I suggest several beaches in the middle and the north of Vietnam Hope you enjoy it!!

Originally Posted by gothamgirl
Hello,

Thank you!
In my point of view, both Hoi An and Halong are worth staying few nights. Except for 5 nights in HCMC for business, you have a week off. Depend on your purpose and preference to relaxation or experience, you'll make a choice between Halong Bay or Hoi An.
Hoi An is a laid-back town, it takes only one full day to explore all around the town and notably don't miss out wonderful night in Hoi An. I think 7 nights in Hoi An are time consuming unless you travel to nearby regions like Hue, My Son and Da Nang.
Ha Long is absolutely perfect for summer vacation in July. You could enjoy the beach, take a cruise to Cat Ba island, Lan Ha bay or Tuan Chau island. Moreover, people usually combine Halong and Hanoi into a journey because of the international airport in Hanoi. It takes only 2 hours to transfer between two cities.
In general, Hanoi streets are quite like HCMC's, except for the old quarter. It's more peaceful and tranquil in the central of one-thousand-year-old capital.
So, take all in consideration, I'd prefer Halong Bay and it's favorable for your kid as a teenager.
Hope you'll enjoy your trip in Vietnam!!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:00 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am looking for a white sandy clear and clean water(Lagoon) beach resort in Vietnam. You know the ones like you get in the Maldives but I know it may never get that good but anything close would be most welcome. All advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by dav662
I am looking for a white sandy clear and clean water(Lagoon) beach resort in Vietnam. You know the ones like you get in the Maldives but I know it may never get that good but anything close would be most welcome. All advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Maybe Quy Nhon:
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:32 am

Thank you very much.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bai Sao Beach on Phu Quoc is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Very limited accommodations near the beach though.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:31 am

Yes I am looking for a resort in Phu Quoc that has a very good private beach in the sense that I do not have to go for a fair distance to get to the beach and the resort is there.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:26 pm

In my limited Phu Quoc experience, bai sao was very nice but bai khem where the Marriott is was better. Some recent reports suggest that might not be true anymore. Phu Quoc beaches get some trash washing ashore, with more depending on seasonal currents, just fyi. Khem and sao are cleaned daily though I believe.

Many of the best looking beaches if you search online are off limits to foreigners, so if you find pictures I recommend doing at least some googling before making plans.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:58 pm

Thank you very much Maverick.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I’m currently in HCMC as part of a long Asia trip and I’m a couple days ahead of schedule. I’ve heard there are some scenic train rides in Vietnam but I’ve seen conflicting opinions on which areas are the best.

I’m already going from Danang to Hue by train. How are Danang to Nha Trang and Hue to Hanoi? Would you recommend either vs. the cheap flights? If so, which one? (I know I’d be doubling back to the south if I go Hue to Nha Trang.) Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:27 pm

I came back from VN about 3 weeks ago. First time there.

Stayed in district 1 in HCM during the first week. Street food readily available everywhere. Ben Thanh market and a dozen other places within walking distance.

After HCM, Danang for almost a week. We rented scooters for a few days ($6 cad/day). We packed minimally and took the scooter to Hoi An and stayed there for one night (I recommend doing this) and came back to Danang.

Been to Thailand a half a dozen times before Vietnam. Honestly, I find Vietnam better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.