Ask us about Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Yes, typically the rainy season starts from April-May and lasts to around Oct-Nov.
However, I was in Nha Trang 2 weeks ago and for all the 3 days that I was there, the sky was quite cloudy and it rains on and off.
So you never can be sure.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by hxhbk
Yes, typically the rainy season starts from April-May and lasts to around Oct-Nov.
However, I was in Nha Trang 2 weeks ago and for all the 3 days that I was there, the sky was quite cloudy and it rains on and off.
Rainy season in Nha Trang starts around October and can go through until mid-late February.
Different parts of Vietnam see rain at different time. I am only familiar with Nha Trang however.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Thank you very much all for your help.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by hxhbk
I was in Nha Trang Feb 5-9. Sunny 5-8 and ocassional drizzle on the 8 and 9. Overall, pleasant weather (:
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience arriving at Hanoi international, or regional flights with Vietnam Airlines? I'm taking my father to the Vietnamese Grand Prix, and saw recently that there is a relatively ambiguous press release from the Vietnam Government about people coming from COVID hotspot areas (we are not, flying J OSL-DOH-BKK-HAN, though it seems we may have to enter Thailand to pick up suitcases before checking into the VN flight from BKK to HAN). Also on that note I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has ever had success checking through luggage from QR to VN on separate tickets as that would be the ideal scenario so as to avoid entering Thailand, where we won't be staying at all.

Given that there are 4 weeks before then, I expect the situation may evolve, but would be interested in hearing if there are any checks or measures taken by the airline or on arrival in Vietnam?

I am not at all concerned about catching the virus (bolding this to emphasise this fact) and pretty much see it as an inconvenience for international travel for which we will take extra precautions with hand washing, sanitising our plane seats etc, but I am considering potential quarantine measures or such which may disrupt our trip or our following flights (HAN-REP on VN, REP-SIN with MI, and then SIN-DOH-OSL-DUB (my dad) SIN-DOH-OSL-BRU (me)). My Dad is 69, in relatively good health but with a pre-existing heart condition.

If the Grand Prix is cancelled, we'll most likely still go to SEA, but adapt our travel plans and most likely do some other kind of tourism in the region through Thailand and Cambodia before ending in SIN.

Appreciate input from any recent travellers on international flights into and out of Hanoi, or even into and out of BKK.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:55 am

Hi all,
Waking this thread from hibernation...
Question on buying clothes in Hanoi; where is a good place to buy non-touristy clothes as a 6ft / 90kg guy? Talking about casual stuff, not suits or formal wear. More than happy to buy local brands - in fact would probably prefer if possible. If it's not a stupid thing to say, perhaps could describe what I'm after as the sort of clothes a middle class local would buy to wear outside of work hours.
Any specific shop or brand name suggestions would be most welcome, in addition to any suggestions of general areas or locales.
Many thanks...
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience arriving at Hanoi international, or regional flights with Vietnam Airlines? I'm taking my father to the Vietnamese Grand Prix, and saw recently that there is a relatively ambiguous press release from the Vietnam Government about people coming from COVID hotspot areas (we are not, flying J OSL-DOH-BKK-HAN, though it seems we may have to enter Thailand to pick up suitcases before checking into the VN flight from BKK to HAN). Also on that note I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has ever had success checking through luggage from QR to VN on separate tickets as that would be the ideal scenario so as to avoid entering Thailand, where we won't be staying at all.

Given that there are 4 weeks before then, I expect the situation may evolve, but would be interested in hearing if there are any checks or measures taken by the airline or on arrival in Vietnam?

I am not at all concerned about catching the virus (bolding this to emphasise this fact) and pretty much see it as an inconvenience for international travel for which we will take extra precautions with hand washing, sanitising our plane seats etc, but I am considering potential quarantine measures or such which may disrupt our trip or our following flights (HAN-REP on VN, REP-SIN with MI, and then SIN-DOH-OSL-DUB (my dad) SIN-DOH-OSL-BRU (me)). My Dad is 69, in relatively good health but with a pre-existing heart condition.

If the Grand Prix is cancelled, we'll most likely still go to SEA, but adapt our travel plans and most likely do some other kind of tourism in the region through Thailand and Cambodia before ending in SIN.

Appreciate input from any recent travellers on international flights into and out of Hanoi, or even into and out of BKK.
Flew into Hanoi late last month. (Dec). Piece of cake as just they check the E visa and off you go. No check at the customs either. I flew in from MNL. No tests but had to upload the vaccine information though. They seem to be very relaxed and no masks mandate outside but inside the airport everyone seems to be wearing one though I remember seeing a female staff without it but she was behind a glass counter.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by jackmiles
Hi all,
Waking this thread from hibernation...
Question on buying clothes in Hanoi; where is a good place to buy non-touristy clothes as a 6ft / 90kg guy? Talking about casual stuff, not suits or formal wear. More than happy to buy local brands - in fact would probably prefer if possible. If it's not a stupid thing to say, perhaps could describe what I'm after as the sort of clothes a middle class local would buy to wear outside of work hours.
Any specific shop or brand name suggestions would be most welcome, in addition to any suggestions of general areas or locales.
Many thanks...
Try the Trung Tam Thuong Mai Hang Da shopping Mall. Or any of those small shops in Hanoi Old Quarter.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Try the Trung Tam Thuong Mai Hang Da shopping Mall. Or any of those small shops in Hanoi Old Quarter.
Thanks very much.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:55 pm

Hi again everyone,
I'm flying into and out of Hanoi (HAN). I'll be in biz class both times (SQ on arrival, QR on departure). Are there any express lanes or similar for customs / security / immigration for J pax?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:23 pm

No tests but had to upload the vaccine information though.
Upload vaccine information? Where does one do that? I have an eVisa and TIMATIC does not mention any other requirements for travel to Viet Nam.

Also, is tipping a thing in Viet Nam? Curious especially for my prebooked airport transportation.

Safe travels!

Last edited by lamphs; Feb 3, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Upload vaccine information? Where does one do that? I have an eVisa and TIMATIC does not mention any other requirements for travel to Viet Nam.

Also, is tipping a thing in Viet Nam? Curious especially for my prebooked airport transportation.

Safe travels!
I cannot remember but I am sure that I had to upload mine when applying for the eVisa. Maybe for different countries, they have different rules. Bear in mind that I went last year so they may also have changed the rules.

As for tipping, yes it is but if you do not tip, they would not say anything. But a dollar is also so much money so it is a good thing to give a tip for a good service and normally they do deliver a good service.
lamphs likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:27 am

I cannot remember but I am sure that I had to upload mine when applying for the eVisa. Maybe for different countries, they have different rules. Bear in mind that I went last year so they may also have changed the rules.

As for tipping, yes it is but if you do not tip, they would not say anything. But a dollar is also so much money so it is a good thing to give a tip for a good service and normally they do deliver a good service.
Much appreciated for both answers. I just did the eVisa and the vax cert was not required. (But I always carry it with me anyway just in case.)
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:13 am

Also, correct to assume that wash and fold laundry services are easy to locate in Hanoi? Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:42 pm

We found one fairly easily using google with just a few hour turnaround.
lamphs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.