Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ask us about Vietnam

Ask us about Vietnam

Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:56 am

Night train/ day bus is safer than night bus!
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by global_b
From what I've seen so far, the transfers from Hanoi to a Halong Bay cruise have all be in the morning, say 9am or so from various hotels in central Hanoi. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience flying in and then being transferred straight to a cruise from the airport.
From my limited experience all the tours have minibuses doing the rounds in central Hanoi around 9, you then transfer to a bigger bus around 9.30 for the twoish hour schlep to the coast and Ha Long Bay. As you arrive just before lunchtime the boats are either waiting for just coming in from their previous tours and the coaches disgorge their new tour participants onto the waiting boats, and the passengers who have just disembarked the boats are herded back onto the coaches to go back into Hanoi.

This is a well oiled machine that depends on a collection in Hanoi at 9, for you to be on a boat heading off into Ha Long Bay at lunchtime.

I am not sure there are late afternoon sailings for Ha Long Bay, but that's probably what you would need to be looking for. But based on an arrival into Hanoi late morning you won't be able to do the standard boat at lunchtime tour.
global_b and adrianlondon like this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:37 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Originally Posted by plunet
From my limited experience all the tours have minibuses doing the rounds in central Hanoi around 9, you then transfer to a bigger bus around 9.30 for the twoish hour schlep to the coast and Ha Long Bay. As you arrive just before lunchtime the boats are either waiting for just coming in from their previous tours and the coaches disgorge their new tour participants onto the waiting boats, and the passengers who have just disembarked the boats are herded back onto the coaches to go back into Hanoi.
Yep, I suspect that everyone is using a similar system to the one you describe. I think I'll just get a hotel in Ha Long for the first night and then do a 2D/1N cruise. I can go to the Ha Long night market and get the souvenirs!

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by global_b
Yep, I suspect that everyone is using a similar system to the one you describe. I think I'll just get a hotel in Ha Long for the first night and then do a 2D/1N cruise. I can go to the Ha Long night market and get the souvenirs!

Thanks!
As far as I'm concerned, one night is enough!
global_b likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:44 pm

I have to agree that one night on Ha Long Bay is enough.
global_b likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 12:02 am
Community Director Emerita

I was very happy with a one day cruise and not staying overnight on a ship. There's not much to see once it gets dark.
global_b likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was very happy with a one day cruise and not staying overnight on a ship. There's not much to see once it gets dark.
Not for me the as the 2nd night and the day was a different place to tour. So I have done the 2 nights and 3 days cruise a few times.
global_b likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:03 am

Looking for a jeep trip for two small adult women and two small elementary children from Da Nang to Hue (hai can pass). Dad would like to drive along on a motorbike.

also need a private car for 5 from Hue to Phong Nha.

have reached out to a few options but havent heard anything back.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:38 am

Anything else to do in Hanoi? I want to do the classic bike ride. Do they let you ride yourself? I have IDP too and have ridden many a times in the Philippines (own bike) and in Thailand.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:11 pm

Are flights to Vietnam hard to book at the moment? I've been planning a trip to Japan but know of family members who want to go to Vietnam, and if it's anywhere near as bad as trying to secure flights to Tokyo I'll get them started earning points and researching how to book flights at least two years in advance 😅
Old May 13, 2023, 8:28 pm

How would people compare Halong Bay to Palwan? I heard Filipino food is not as good as Vietnamese food and I am hoping there are places in Vietnam that compete/compare with the beautiful beaches and cliffs of the Philippines, especially El Nido.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fay33
How would people compare Halong Bay to Palwan? I heard Filipino food is not as good as Vietnamese food and I am hoping there are places in Vietnam that compete/compare with the beautiful beaches and cliffs of the Philippines, especially El Nido.
Palawan is much nicer IMO. However, if structuring a more comprehensive trip, I'd much prefer combining VN and Thailand to hitting the Philippines.
Old May 14, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Im planning to visit HCMC for 3 nights then go Hoi Ann for 2 nights. Staying in Distict 1 in HCMC and Old Town in Hoi An. Looking for advice about what time to fly into/out of DAD to avoid traffic driving to/from Hoi An and factor in busy periods at SGN (flying Y). Trying to balance not waking super early but also want to get a decent day 1 in Hoi An so don't want to spend hours in traffic from DAD to Hoi An. Also flying from DAD-BKK and would similarly like to avoid traffic and how early to arrive (again in Y, saved J for all the longhauls).

TIA!
Old May 31, 2023, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Im planning to visit HCMC for 3 nights then go Hoi Ann for 2 nights. Staying in Distict 1 in HCMC and Old Town in Hoi An. Looking for advice about what time to fly into/out of DAD to avoid traffic driving to/from Hoi An and factor in busy periods at SGN (flying Y). Trying to balance not waking super early but also want to get a decent day 1 in Hoi An so don't want to spend hours in traffic from DAD to Hoi An. Also flying from DAD-BKK and would similarly like to avoid traffic and how early to arrive (again in Y, saved J for all the longhauls).

TIA!
6 am to 8 am, 11 am to 1 pm and 4 pm to 6 pm are usually rush hours. Your private transfer will know what to do.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Fay33
I have been to Halong Bay a few times and to the Philippines a lot. I am going to El Nido end of the month so would be able to let you know after that. The food in Vietnam ( local) is much better than the Philippines but the Sizzling Gambas (shrimp and the Chicken Sisig ) is wonderful in the Philippines.
As the other OP said the Vietnam/Thailand could be a better combination but again it is fairly similar unlike the Philippines which is very different. Mindanao in the south is a very beautiful huge island in the Philippines with mountains and the beach in close proximity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.