Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask us about Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1k
Two questions For Hoi An / Da Nang:

Does anyone have a driver service they recommend if we wanted to hire a driver for a few days?

Any thoughts on where to stay in the Da Nang / Hoi An area? Open to both City / Beach, Wife's requirements are a Clean Room, pool that gets lots of sun and as few mosquitos as possible. My requirements are a happy wife (and maybe a tennis court). The 4S is the only thing that really feels like a guarantee, but don't really want to stretch the budget that far, for everything else the reviews seem all over the place.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:01 am
pjs

Originally Posted by oblisk
Two questions For Hoi An / Da Nang:

Does anyone have a driver service they recommend if we wanted to hire a driver for a few days?

Any thoughts on where to stay in the Da Nang / Hoi An area? Open to both City / Beach, Wife's requirements are a Clean Room, pool that gets lots of sun and as few mosquitos as possible. My requirements are a happy wife (and maybe a tennis court). The 4S is the only thing that really feels like a guarantee, but don't really want to stretch the budget that far, for everything else the reviews seem all over the place.
Not sure when you're going but we have the Hyatt Regency booked for April for a couple of nights. Applied a suite upgrade award and as Globalist it should be a very nice stay. It's on the beach and seems fairly close to both Da Nang and Hoi An (and has a shuttle to Hoi An as well). Will post a review when we return in the Hyatt forum.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by pjs
Not sure when you're going but we have the Hyatt Regency booked for April for a couple of nights. Applied a suite upgrade award and as Globalist it should be a very nice stay. It's on the beach and seems fairly close to both Da Nang and Hoi An (and has a shuttle to Hoi An as well). Will post a review when we return in the Hyatt forum.
Yeah we're going in early March. Flights have been booked for ages but dealing with a emergency which necessitated an apartment move we never got around to booking a hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
For the plug used in Vietnam it seems there are 3 types: A (commonly used in the U.S.), C (commonly used throughput Europe), and F (which I'm not familiar with).

If my adapter works for both the U.S. (type A) and Europe (type C) is that sufficient, as would a type C be interchangeable with a type F, or would I also need a new adapter for type F? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2024, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
For the plug used in Vietnam it seems there are 3 types: A (commonly used in the U.S.), C (commonly used throughput Europe), and F (which I'm not familiar with).

If my adapter works for both the U.S. (type A) and Europe (type C) is that sufficient, as would a type C be interchangeable with a type F, or would I also need a new adapter for type F? Thanks!
A & C should cover it though not all properties have the multiple plug sockets. And the sockets that can take C type might be loose so a F plug would be better.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

I think C and F are interchangable? I've seen both throughout the EU?
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The only difference is that in addition to the two round pins, type F has two earth clips, one on the top and another on the bottom.

Type C plug

Type F plug

Type F socket. Type C plug will fit in a type F socket.

To the best of my recollection, we only used type C plugs in Vietnam.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Diameter of posts in F are a little thicker than C (4.8mm vs. 4mm) , and distance apart is slightly different. A loose socket is a problem I've encountered with using Type C in the multi-plug sockets.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks all! I really appreciate your feedback!!
Old Apr 8, 2024, 6:58 am

Both are common here: a type C plug will fit in a type F socket but a type F plug WILL NOT fit a type C socket
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:03 am

Type C plug will be fine, don't worry about F (what we usually call Schuko)
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by magXY
Both are common here: a type C plug will fit in a type F socket but a type F plug WILL NOT fit a type C socket
Originally Posted by magXY
Type C plug will be fine, don't worry about F (what we usually call Schuko)
Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:28 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by TWA884
Our arrangements were booked through AsiaDesk, a boutique US travel agency specializing in Southeast Asia. I'll PM you the contact information for our local guide in central Vietnam.

I'll echo SanDiego1K's sentiments that Hue is far more interesting than Hoi An and Da Nang. We also found Azerai La Residence to be superb.
We’re at Azerai right now and while it’s very nice, I can’t really recommend it because the wifi is way too slow. I need to keep in touch with the office and it’s been an issue. Also we found Hue a bit boring. I guess if you’re massively into pre-1945 Vietnamese history you will love it. I enjoyed the citadel for a few hours and we had some decent street food but other than that, HCM and Hanoi were way more interesting and fun to explore. Headed to the Hyatt on the beach in Da Nang/Hoi A later and will spend some time in Hoi An. While I’m sure it’s touristy, it looks interesting.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
We’re at Azerai right now and while it’s very nice, I can’t really recommend it because the wifi is way too slow. I need to keep in touch with the office and it’s been an issue. Also we found Hue a bit boring. I guess if you’re massively into pre-1945 Vietnamese history you will love it. I enjoyed the citadel for a few hours and we had some decent street food but other than that, HCM and Hanoi were way more interesting and fun to explore. Headed to the Hyatt on the beach in Da Nang/Hoi A later and will spend some time in Hoi An. While I’m sure it’s touristy, it looks interesting.
Although Hoian is really touristy, it is worth a do.
pjs likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:44 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Transit Visa. NZ passport

Hi. My kids and I are passing throught Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) for 3 days enroute to Europe. Couple of questions...

We are New Zealand passport holders and therefore (I believe) need an evisa. I've read there is a transit visa, rather than the tourist visa. I cant seem to find where to apply for that.

Secondly, staying in district 1, at 9pm are Grab plentiful outside the airport? Do they have a Grab pick-up location like other Asian airports. Our onward flight from SGN is at 5am, again, are Grab available early and how long would the trip take early hours (wondering what time to leave the accommodation).

I'm planning on grabbing some currency local (wise). Are AtM available in the arrivals hall?

Any other helpful tips for our first visit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.