Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Lobster
Yes I know someone who got a same day tourist visa two weeks ago from the Bangkok Embassy.

It does seem that the visa on arrival will remain suspended for the foreseeable future. The Gov't had a meeting with tour operators recently and they all agreed that until there are more hotel rooms it would not be sensible to reinstate the visa on arrival as there is a real risk that tourist would arrive and not be able to find anywhere to stay. So for the time being everyone will have to continue to get their visas before coming.
Can you please clarify? Is the visa issued through the link in the earlier post still a valid process. Is it the same "visa on arrival" you refer to?
Old May 5, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: most of them
Visa on arrival was discontinued. So you will need to get one in advance, either from your nearest embassy/consulate or you can get one in Bangkok apparently.

Although I just read in the crazy RGN mistake fare thread that visa on arrival will be reinstated from June but ONLY for ASEAN citizens.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:54 pm

Which VOA?

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Visa on arrival was discontinued. So you will need to get one in advance, either from your nearest embassy/consulate or you can get one in Bangkok apparently.
So, do you mean the private/gov't tour operators, like the myanmarvisa.com (magadotravel?) have stopped arranging VOAs for an extra fee? Or are you referring to the VOA that used to be arranged directly with (?) the Myanmar govt?
Old May 6, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: most of them
I believe it means the direct visa on arrival offered by the government. i.e. you can't just show up with no visa and no plans. But I am pretty sure there is a desk where you can pick up a pre-arranged visa at the airport. You would need to check with one of those companies to find out for sure.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
There are some tour companies that will arrange your visa for pick up on arrival but in effect you are still getting your visa approved in advance it is just that you only pick it up when you arrive.

The visa on arrival scheme they operated for a while enabled you to arrive at the airport without any visa arrangement being made in advance and get a visa issued in the airport.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:59 am

Arranged visa

Thanks for the clarification. I emailed magadotravel.com and they confirmed they still do pre-approved visas ($70 ai/pick-up at airport). I think I read they had some problems in the past, so not sure if I'm going to go with them or try to secure one in Bangkok (which sounds like an all-day process--drop-off early and pick up afternoon) process, albeit cheaper.

Anyone had recent luck with magadotravel or another private (probably gov't connected somehow) travel company?

Edit: Also, does anyone have experience securing more than one (or several) single-entry tourist visas over several months. (Yes, I'm doing the ex-RGN "special" fare ). Will officials grant more than one without question? I'm going in June, then again in November. Others are going several times and are worried they might be denied visas. Thoughts?
Old May 7, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
Thanks for the clarification. I emailed magadotravel.com and they confirmed they still do pre-approved visas ($70 ai/pick-up at airport). I think I read they had some problems in the past, so not sure if I'm going to go with them or try to secure one in Bangkok (which sounds like an all-day process--drop-off early and pick up afternoon) process, albeit cheaper.

Anyone had recent luck with magadotravel or another private (probably gov't connected somehow) travel company?

Edit: Also, does anyone have experience securing more than one (or several) single-entry tourist visas over several months. (Yes, I'm doing the ex-RGN "special" fare ). Will officials grant more than one without question? I'm going in June, then again in November. Others are going several times and are worried they might be denied visas. Thoughts?
Yes the process in Bangkok is go early in the morning and watch out there can be long queues. Then I think it is ready to pick up after 3.30 in the afternoon. You do also need to be careful as it will be closed for all public holidays and there are a lot of them in this part of the world.

You can go back and get another tourist visa from the same embassy. Normally two or three will not cause any questions but after that they might start to ask questions. As work permits are very difficult to get for Myanmar a lot of people do work there on tourist visas so if they think you are working then they will deny you your visa. So the more evidence that you are really a tourist, hotel bookings etc will help.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:47 pm

The Myanmar Government have now announced that from the 1st June citizens from ASEAN countries will be able to get a visa on arrival
Old May 8, 2012, 11:07 pm

,Many thanks for the info.

I hope to enjoy a little of what Rangon has to offer, first hand, in a couple of months from now.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Just noticed this on the Pre-arranged Visa On Arrival service website:

The form has a checkbox for Transit Visa. Might be of value on anyone planning on a quick turn or transit in RGN.

See: http://www.myanmarvisa.com/arrivalvisaform.htm
Old May 10, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Lobster
Yes I know someone who got a same day tourist visa two weeks ago from the Bangkok Embassy.

Anyone who is interested, yes, you can get same day visas in Bangkok, but we have two prices, the first which is next day or not rushed is $40, whereas the fast same day, pick up and deliver to hotel for $80, so if you are flush with dollars and have many things to do, there is always someone else who is prepared to make a dollar. The visa on arrival starts in 3 weeks, but to make it easier on yourself, download the applications, have the 4 forms filled out and a photo available.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Apparently Myanmar has just started an online application for VOA. There's a link from airasia's home page but here it is again

Online VOA
Old May 11, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by tide
Apparently Myanmar has just started an online application for VOA. There's a link from airasia's home page but here it is again

Online VOA
The online VOA system is still under development. It says that it "will be coming very soon." "Very soon" is open for interpretation.

Last edited by 18sas; May 11, 2012 at 11:16 am
Old May 12, 2012, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by 18sas
The online VOA system is still under development. It says that it "will be coming very soon." "Very soon" is open for interpretation.
Yes it has been coming soon for at least two years now
Old May 12, 2012, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've never flown to Burma, but I walked across the border in North Thailand about a year ago or so and it was very easy with a US passport. Just a stamp and a bit of cash as I recall. No photos or paperwork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.