Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:32 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by BKKROP
..... and if all else fails or you leave it till the last minute, your hotel in Bangkok will get someone to run around and pick one up for you. I give them my passport in the morning and it is back by 2pm.
Anyone know if HKG or SIN embassies also provide same-day service?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:23 am

SIN has 2nd day service, no same day I think.
Go in the morning to submit the passport/application and collect the next day at 4pm.

However, they are totally swamped!
Queued at 4pm and didn't get passport until 6pm.

Lots of people trying to get visa.
They should just have visa on arrival for tourists and pay some amount of money.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by aau
Anyone know if HKG or SIN embassies also provide same-day service?
Bangkok has same day service.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:37 pm
KRS

I used www.myanmarvisa.com, sent my application on 5 December and got my approval letter today (19 December), so took 10 business days.
Great if you don't want to be without your passport.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:38 am

VOA is only for business visas as the link below states ... are you there for business or pleasure?

have the letter of invitation from the sponsoring company in the event of first trip of business study.
(Stay cannot be extended.)

be required to produce copies of company registration/business license/ evidence of permission to do business issued by the ministries concerned together with the application if he is working in Myanmar.

fully mention the name of the factory, location, the sponsor and the position he holds if he is doing business with business visa.
Originally Posted by KRS
I used www.myanmarvisa.com, sent my application on 5 December and got my approval letter today (19 December), so took 10 business days.
Great if you don't want to be without your passport.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:29 pm
KRS

Originally Posted by malgudi
VOA is only for business visas as the link below states ... are you there for business or pleasure?
There is prearranged visa on arrival for both. I am not on business.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by KRS
There is prearranged visa on arrival for both. I am not on business.
Pre-arranged visa on arrival is quite different from visa on arrival. Tourists can do pre-arranged visas through almost any Myanmar tourist agency. Business visitors can enter the country with no pre-arrangement if they have the correct documents.

My personal experience matches up with people here - my visa issue date was exactly 10 business days after it was received at the embassy in Washington DC, and they mailed it soon after it was issued.

But my 3-4 weeks recommendation might be cutting it close over the holidays and I didn't consider that some people get nervous about these things so I upped the recommendation to 4-6 weeks in the RGN thread, with a link to this topic.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mylifenomadic
I believe the 3 weeks only applies if you send it by post. Mine took 6 business days by post. If you drop it off and pick it up, it takes a matter of days. Are you spending any time in New York? You can get your visa from the Myanmar mission to the UN there and get it in a day or two as well. There are lots of posts in the RGN threads in Mileage Run Discussion if you'd like other ideas.
I am hearing that the NYC office is capable of doing them in about 4 business days. Maybe they can do it faster than that but they seem to sort of consider date of travel in determining time to process.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:01 am

I needed a visa for my upcoming trip in February. Happened to be in Bangkok last month so went to the embassy to do same day since I was there on Thursday and believe options were either 2 days or same day and they are open Mon-Fri. When I got to the embassy there was a long line outside. I went across the street about a block away to get my picture taken. The shop there performs 3rd party visa service and offered to take care of everything for me same day for 2000THB. I know it would have been cheaper to do it in the embassy but this way I didn't have to wait in line, didn't have to worry about providing itinerary which I still don't have. So just saying that's always an option for what was basically an extra $20 save yourself 2-3 hours.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:01 am

2000 baht is more like $65.
So are you saying the visa costs $45 but for an additional $20 (for a total of 2000 baht) that third party did everything for you?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:08 am

I don't know the actual price of same day at the embassy but was assuming it was aroumd $40. The problem with getting same day at embassy is that you need your itinerary and need to show that you are flying next day. Otherwise they do it at normal service which I was told is 2 days so drop of wednesday pick up on friday.

So for 2000 bhat everything was included, including the picture.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If I recall correctly a next-day visa is around 1300 baht and same day is 1900 something. If you go just before lunch time, there shouldn't be any lines. Again near closing time for the pickup, no lines.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Looks like they've simplified things a fair bit now:

http://www.airasia.com/in/en/latest-...ar-e-visa.page
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by quarryking
Looks like they've simplified things a fair bit now:

http://www.airasia.com/in/en/latest-...ar-e-visa.page
Unfortunately not as the e-visa is still not up and running
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I visited Myanmar in March ....no Visa or passport required but I got my feet wet crossing the river. I'm thinking about an "official" visit just to check out Rangoon for a weekend, but it hardly seems worth the effort if you need to go through the hassle of getting a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.