Reload this Page >

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Myanmar's Ministry of Immigration and Population e-visa program began September, 2014. The process is available online to visitors from 101 countries, incurs a cost of USD $50 (as opposed to $40 at an embassy) charged to a secure Visa card and takes three (business) days for an approval e-mail. Print the e-mail for airport use and present it on arrival at Yangon, Mandalay or Nay Pyi Taw airports. The cost for a business visa is US$70 and requires an invitation letter from host company.

Ordinary passport holders from the following countries are giving [given?] visa exemption for 14 days-
Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Philippines
Thailand (Three International Airports Only)
Viet Nam

Updated September 9th, 2015

For a US citizen, a regular visa can be obtained before leaving the USA. You can download the form from the website, http://www.mewashingtondc.com/visa_en.php
You must mail your passport, completed form and payment to the embassy in Washington DC. As of December 2016, the fee for a tourist visa has been increased to $40.
Updated January 30th, 2017

Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
FWIW I didn't let them hold my passport. I told them I travel full time and they agreed, just holding my application for a few days til I return, when they will place the visa in my passport.
My local embassy wants the Passport.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by lallyr
My local embassy wants the Passport.
It wasn't easy, but I gave them the hard sell. Try again and escalate if necessary. I do have a lot of extra pages in my passport with hundreds of stamps so maybe that helped.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
It wasn't easy, but I gave them the hard sell. Try again and escalate if necessary. I do have a lot of extra pages in my passport with hundreds of stamps so maybe that helped.
Thanks stimpy but I think I will just opt for the online service as I am a good hrs drive from my nearest embassy anyway.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:06 pm

I got my passport back today with the visa inside.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:54 pm

??

Hi all,

Just wondering if http://myanmarvisa.com is a legit service for pre-arranged visas. Will it be an issue getting on a place in the US with something that looks like a promise of visa, rather than a visa itself?

Thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Yes they are a legit service. But it is quite expensive considering you can just courier your passport to the nearest embassy. Also you have to pick up the visa on arrival and then clear immigration so you will be at the back of the queue for immigration.

They should issue you with some confirmation that you have a pre-arranged visa on arrival. This should satisfy any airline. This type of visa has been around for many years so is not new. The new business visa on arrival which does not have to be pre-arranged can be a problem
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), BA Gold (OWE)
I have a trip to Myanmar planned for early January and I'm unclear about how to apply for the visa. I am a German-American-Hungarian triple citizen and I currently live in Hungary, but we don't have a Myanmar embassy in Budapest. I am going to the US to visit family in 4 weeks and directly to Myanmar after 3 weeks in the US, so I plan on just applying at the embassy in Washington. The problem is that it takes 3+ weeks to process the visa application, so I need to send my passport and application already from here, and I need my American passport to enter the US and my German passport to enter Turkey in the next few weeks, so I have to apply as a Hungarian to the embassy in Washington, and just have them send the passport with visa to my family in the US, and I'll pick it up when I see them. I don't know whether this is even possible, and the 100+ calls (and email) that I've given to the embassies in Washington and Ottawa never got answered. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other recommendation on getting the visa? (getting one in Bangkok or someplace else before hand is not possible).

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
I believe the 3 weeks only applies if you send it by post. Mine took 6 business days by post. If you drop it off and pick it up, it takes a matter of days. Are you spending any time in New York? You can get your visa from the Myanmar mission to the UN there and get it in a day or two as well. There are lots of posts in the RGN threads in Mileage Run Discussion if you'd like other ideas.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by RudderDucky
I have a trip to Myanmar planned for early January and I'm unclear about how to apply for the visa. I am a German-American-Hungarian triple citizen and I currently live in Hungary, but we don't have a Myanmar embassy in Budapest. I am going to the US to visit family in 4 weeks and directly to Myanmar after 3 weeks in the US, so I plan on just applying at the embassy in Washington. The problem is that it takes 3+ weeks to process the visa application, so I need to send my passport and application already from here, and I need my American passport to enter the US and my German passport to enter Turkey in the next few weeks, so I have to apply as a Hungarian to the embassy in Washington, and just have them send the passport with visa to my family in the US, and I'll pick it up when I see them. I don't know whether this is even possible, and the 100+ calls (and email) that I've given to the embassies in Washington and Ottawa never got answered. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other recommendation on getting the visa? (getting one in Bangkok or someplace else before hand is not possible).

Thanks in advance.
the timelines to obtain a visa for Myanmar is increasing everywhere because more & more people are going there (I read somewhere +30% of tourists this year ). In Paris, it used to be 2 weeks but it's 1 month right now !
So if I were you, I would send it right now using a visa service company in Budapest. They will take care of everything and send you passport back to you by express certified mail
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:45 am
azj

Any recent experiences with obtaining the Myanmar visa in Bangkok?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
In Paris, it used to be 2 weeks but it's 1 month right now !
Hi Goldorak

where did you get this information ?
i called the MM embassy a couple of days ago and they did not mention it was long !
i'm leaving in a month or so to RGN and still need my passport in between because i'll be flying to Africa at the end of november !
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
NY Visa

FYI - I just got my Myanmar visa in NYC and it took eight days. There was no line up and I actually kept my passport for a few extra days and so in fact they had my passport for only 5 days.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 am

3 weeks?

That's not what my experience has been (8 business days) and their website says 10.

Originally Posted by mylifenomadic
I believe the 3 weeks only applies if you send it by post. Mine took 6 business days by post. If you drop it off and pick it up, it takes a matter of days. Are you spending any time in New York? You can get your visa from the Myanmar mission to the UN there and get it in a day or two as well. There are lots of posts in the RGN threads in Mileage Run Discussion if you'd like other ideas.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Hi Goldorak

where did you get this information ?
i called the MM embassy a couple of days ago and they did not mention it was long !
i'm leaving in a month or so to RGN and still need my passport in between because i'll be flying to Africa at the end of november !
This is my own very recent experience, as I go to Burma very soon
And I know the situation your are facing because it was the same for me : I had exactly one month between 2 US trips, so was needing absolutely my passport and I had the Burma visa right on-time.
I know that by phone, at the Paris embassy, they are still telling 2 weeks but it's not true at all. The high season is beginning and tourism is booming there, so more & more visas (I read somewhere +30% of visitors this year). And when you see all the airlines opening RGN or increasing frequencies, it's obviously for a reason.

For my small group of travelers, at the Paris embassy (direct dealing, no 3rd party involved) :
- I dropped my own passport on monday october 15 at 9:00 am (opening of the embassy). I was the 1st one. Return date was given for thursday november 8. It was indeed available this day and the date on the visa is this one (so it was done this particular day)
- Two other people travelling with me filed their demand the same day as me but in the afternoon. Return date was one day later than me (friday nov 9).
- The 2 last people travelling with us filed their demand on thursday october 18, so 3 days after us, and they will get them back next wednesday (Nov 21 !!!)

So...it's better to do it in advance whenever possible, at least in Paris. NYC timelines are obviously much better !
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is my own very recent experience, as I go to Burma very soon
And I know the situation your are facing because it was the same for me : I had exactly one month between 2 US trips, so was needing absolutely my passport and I had the Burma visa right on-time.
I know that by phone, at the Paris embassy, they are still telling 2 weeks but it's not true at all. The high season is beginning and tourism is booming there, so more & more visas (I read somewhere +30% of visitors this year). And when you see all the airlines opening RGN or increasing frequencies, it's obviously for a reason.

For my small group of travelers, at the Paris embassy (direct dealing, no 3rd party involved) :
- I dropped my own passport on monday october 15 at 9:00 am (opening of the embassy). I was the 1st one. Return date was given for thursday november 8. It was indeed available this day and the date on the visa is this one (so it was done this particular day)
- Two other people travelling with me filed their demand the same day as me but in the afternoon. Return date was one day later than me (friday nov 9).
- The 2 last people travelling with us filed their demand on thursday october 18, so 3 days after us, and they will get them back next wednesday (Nov 21 !!!)

So...it's better to do it in advance whenever possible, at least in Paris. NYC timelines are obviously much better !
Thanks for your answer Goldorak
i'll go to the MM embassy next week, crossing my fingers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.