FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1279414-visa-voa-info-myanmar-burma.html)

skrosvik May 3, 2008 7:34 am

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar/Burma

Most travellers needs visa for Myanmar/Burma. Does anyone know if there is possible to get visa on arrival (Yangon airport)??? Or do I have to apply for this at the embassy in advance?

rankourabu May 3, 2008 7:46 am

Hi, I ve been thru this since I am going to Myanmar in August. There are some online agencies that will arrange a visa on arrival for about $70-$100, but all that I found required you also purchase a tour with them.

There are no government-sponsored on-arrival facilities. Airlines will not board you without a visa or a letter-of-approval obtained from one of the above mentioned tour companies.

I myself, will be sending my application to embassy in Ottawa, I just rang them up and they faxed the forms to me. Cost is $30 plus postage.

The visas issued at embassies are valid for 3 months from issue, with a max 28 days stay

more4less May 3, 2008 7:48 am

Hi,

You can get a visa on arrival but before you have to send by mail copies of the passaports to the travel agency in Myanmar.
Also this travel agency should send you a letter(by mail or fax) that you will present to the airline which is taking you to the country saying that they are taking care of the visa.

I hope you enjoy the trip. Stayed there with my family last June/July and loved it.

CLTF Nov 13, 2011 8:39 am

Visa / VOA Info for Myanmar / Burma (consolidated)

Does this exist?
flying BKK-RGN on air asia
US citizen

eastnortheast Nov 15, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by CLTF (Post 17441464)
Does this exist?
flying BKK-RGN on air asia
US citizen

The Visa on Arrival program was suspended about a year ago. My understanding is that it has not been restarted. If you are in Bangkok, you can apply at the Myanmar embassy there. The address is: 132 Sathorn Nua Rd, Silom and is relatively close to the Surasak BTS station

CLTF Nov 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by eastnortheast (Post 17453655)
The Visa on Arrival program was suspended about a year ago. My understanding is that it has not been restarted. If you are in Bangkok, you can apply at the Myanmar embassy there. The address is: 132 Sathorn Nua Rd, Silom and is relatively close to the Surasak BTS station

oh how annoying. Will skip Myanmar then
thanks though

Lobster Nov 21, 2011 12:07 am

If fly MAI from Siem Repp to Yangon then you can get a visa on arrival apart from that as eastnortheast said there is no visa on arrival at the moment. Hopefully it will return soon.

hoto Nov 21, 2011 10:03 pm

There appears to be a pre-arranged visa on arrival option, similar to Vietnam.

Certain tourist agencies offer it for around $70 where you send them your passport details and they will liaise with the airlines/immigration on your behalf.

http://www.myanmarvisa.com/visaprocedure.htm

Currently looking at this option myself.

SirJman Nov 23, 2011 8:17 am

I believe they only had it offered for about 8-10 months about a year and a half ago. After being denied a visa twice at the Seoul embassy prior I was able to make a 5 day trip using the VOA.

EuropeanPete Nov 23, 2011 8:23 am

Originally Posted by hoto (Post 17495414)
There appears to be a pre-arranged visa on arrival option, similar to Vietnam.

Certain tourist agencies offer it for around $70 where you send them your passport details and they will liaise with the airlines/immigration on your behalf.

I'm going to Burma in a couple weeks with an agency who are doing the above for me (hopefully!).

madison8 Nov 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Last April, I went on the BKK-RGN air asia and also a US citizen. Got the visa at the Myanmar embassy in BKK the day before the flight. Dropped forms/photos/passport off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. No problems, no passport service.

Myanmar was a great experience and I am glad I went. I might try another trip in 2012.

bryanwallace Dec 1, 2011 5:33 pm

can anyone advise if its safe to take kids to myanmar?

mgmsteven Dec 1, 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 17550371)
can anyone advise if its safe to take kids to myanmar?

I guess that safety is in the eyes of the beholder. I would not hesitate to take my grandchildren. I have never felt safer anywhere in the world. I would not travel anywhere with undisciplined children.

jiejie Dec 2, 2011 7:09 pm

It's a bit of a paradox that in Myanmar, with one of the most rigid and mean-spirited governments in the world, is also for visitors one of the safest from a lack of crime/watching out for your welfare perspective. And the people themselves are lovely and would give you the shirt off their back to help you out. And still a fairly scam-free country, like most of SE Asia was 40-50 years ago.

However, Myanmar's health care system is essentially non-functioning, so you have to take extra care to watch what you eat and drink, not to get injured, take certain precautionary vaccinations, etc. I would personally not feel comfortable taking a child under age 4 or 5 to offbeat or remote locations in Myanmar for this reason, as in the event of an illness, a sick infant/toddler/young child could deteriorate into a dangerous situation before you could get them out and back to good care in Bangkok. Sticking around Yangon-Mandalay-Bagan-Inle main tourist centers is probably OK if you watch a young kid like a hawk. For kids school-age and over, most anywhere Myanmar is fine. They will need to exercise some discipline and common sense...or their parent/guardian will.

Make sure sunscreen and good mosquito repellent (preferably DEET-type) is purchased in advance and taken into Myanmar with you. For all travelers, not just those with kids. Myanmar has the same nasty mosquito-borne diseases as the rest of SE Asia, just much less well-controlled.

shannonabroad Feb 14, 2012 7:44 am

Myanmar visa in BKK

Traveling to Myanmar early March. US visa wait is minimum three weeks, with no guarantee. Has anyone gotten a same day visa in Bangkok for Myanmar?