Wiki Posts
Search

Short stopover in CMB - tips & recommendations appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
Question Short stopover in CMB - tips & recommendations appreciated

Hi, I'll have a short stopover (8:45 a.m. till 14:10 p.m.) with EK in CMB, en route to Singapore. Considering the time needed to get out and back in, I guess I'll have about 3 hrs during which I'd like to get a glimpse of the country.

I was thinking about going to Negombo, as it seems to be closer than Colombo, look around town and get a bite to eat (local food), and then head back. Is this doable? How much time do I need to calculate? Is it better to take a taxi or a tuktuk? How much earlier will I need to be back at the airport, considering that I'll have only hand luggage?

Alternatively a friend who spent longer holidays in Sri Lanka a few years ago suggested an Ayurveda treatment. But I believe the time is too short to do anything decently relaxing. Also I really want to try the local food.

Can you give me tips on the above, or do you have any other suggestions?
I'd greatly appreciate any ideas and recommendations.

P.S. It probably doesn't matter much in Sri Lanka, but I'm a 32 y-o European female travelling alone.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:41 am
Suspended

Negombo, as of my last visit in '09, was a relatively charmless beach resort catering to Europeans.

If you are interested in seeing something I'd suggest heading into Colombo which has interesting bits (unsure of whats restricted currently). If you'd like some exercise a swim at either the Galle Face or the Mt Lavinia hotel; for local food my choice is some random street vendor before noon.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, A3*G, Flying Blue, HHonors
Thank you.
As for Colombo, I'm unsure whether I can make it there and back in 3 hours (9:30 - 12:30). Negombo is closer, that's why I thought about Negombo.
I'll make sure to try out street vendors - I assume it's like everywhere else, long lines = high turnover = fresh food ?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ningyo
Thank you.
As for Colombo, I'm unsure whether I can make it there and back in 3 hours (9:30 - 12:30). Negombo is closer, that's why I thought about Negombo.
I'll make sure to try out street vendors - I assume it's like everywhere else, long lines = high turnover = fresh food ?
You cannot make it to Colombo and back with a decent amount of time to spend there. The ride is 45 minutes minimum, 1:15 much more likely at that time of day.

I don't know Negombo so can't help there, but would strongly advise against trying to make it into Colombo.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Negombo might be a bit more practical, bearing in mind the limited time that you have. Cause, with attempting to get into Colombo, you'd probably be spending more time in the taxi getting there and back, rather then seeing the city.
You should be able to get some good local fare in Negombo as well and as far as safety goes, nothing too worry bout.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Originally Posted by quarryking
Negombo might be a bit more practical, bearing in mind the limited time that you have. Cause, with attempting to get into Colombo, you'd probably be spending more time in the taxi getting there and back, rather then seeing the city.
You should be able to get some good local fare in Negombo as well and as far as safety goes, nothing too worry bout.
I know i am reviving a very old thread here but I wanted to check that nothing exciting has happened since the last post!

I have a similar layover en route to SIN and was also thinking of taking a trip to Negombo. Is this still my best / only option? I think it would be fun to spend an hour in Colombo but obviously wouldn't want to risk missing a flight.

Questions:
  • How much is a 'cab' to hire for the morning? Should I tip?
  • Is Negombo really as bad as all that? Is it in any way an example of what 'Sri Lanka' is like?
  • How long will it take to clear Immigration at CMB and be on my way in a cab?
  • How long should I allow for navigating back through the airport?
  • If Negombo is not such a good idea, what should I do with say, an hour in Colombo city?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:40 am

Anybody....?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by travelfreakuk
I have a similar layover en route to SIN and was also thinking of taking a trip to Negombo. Is this still my best / only option? I think it would be fun to spend an hour in Colombo but obviously wouldn't want to risk missing a flight.

Questions:
  • Is Negombo really as bad as all that? Is it in any way an example of what 'Sri Lanka' is like?
  • If Negombo is not such a good idea, what should I do with say, an hour in Colombo city?
There are a number cab booking desks in the arrivals hall after customs.
I would be very surprised if a deal for a couple of hours could not be arranged. One way fares are "book regulated" and are usually cheaper than pre-arrangements with hotels. The hotel cars may be "fancier".

My opinion is that Negombo has declined in the last 5-7 years. OTOH for a short break/meal it will beat downtown Colombo. Plenty of small open air restaurants.

Immigration at CMB has always been very quick, though being at the front of the plane helps. Customs has always smiled nicely. CX luggage has always been very quick. Ask me in a few weeks if MH does equally well.

Check-in at times can be a "zoo", though getting into the check-in area may take longer than the actual check-in if using a premium desk. Desks do not open until several hours before the flight. As lounges are "multi-carrier" you will need to go through check-in to get the entry slip.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum

Questions:
    As posted earlier, there are a number of cab booking desks post customs in the arrival hall and a tip is always appreciated from what i've seen.

Not been to Negombo so can't really comment, but depending on how much time you have, Negombo is a safer bet if you have less time on hand and heading to colombo makes sense if you have more time on hand.

Immigration is pretty fast in CMB.

If your referring to the ride back to the airport from the city, it used to be a solid 1 hour run to the airport, but am told there's some new highway that links the city to the airport that's cut some time off the run to the airport. With regard to checking in for your next flight, depending on the flight and time of day, it can be a bit of a crowded scene as wandering_fred has posted.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:10 am

Many thanks for your thoughts wandering_fred and quarryking.

I will report back!

Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I notice it hasn't been mentioned but recently the express highway has opened from the airport and (for a fee) saves so much time getting to Colombo than the traditional main road. Ive not personally tried it yet (heading back next month) but I know from friends and family their 2.5 hour trip from their house to the airport is now 40minutes.

I'd head to Negombo, get a day pass at the Jetwing Beach (1000rupees last time I reckon). Lay by the pool, dip your feet in the sea and relax.

Clearing immigration is usually fairly quick, as long as their aren't too many planes which have arrived just before you had. Luggage never takes very long.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:32 am

Thanks for the comments marconess. The driver told us that the new road has made a great difference BUT once the road ends, all of the roads merge into one for the city. He said that on the day we arrived, there was at least an hours delay in getting off the express-way into the City.

For the sake of the search engines and others who have a similar layover! As of January 2014:
  • Immigration took about 15 minutes. It seems there are two main areas to clear immigration from, one in front of the large Buddha statue and one round the corner to the left - the queue on the left seemed to be quicker!
  • We converted USD as soon as we left baggage claim, there were several places to change money and they all seemed to have the same rate (128 on my visit)
  • We found a driver right outside the front on the airport who quoted 4000 Rupees for a trip to Negombo, a 3 hours stopover and a ride back to the airport. His number is 0775796342 alas i cannot remember his name but his business card company is KK Tours and Travels. I asked the windowed counter outside arrivals for the same fare and was quoted 5000 one way so this seemed like a great deal. Our driver was friendly and polite, showed us around the fish market and the beach area; we even stopped at a shop on the way back to buy some Arrack!
  • It took about 15 minutes to get to Negomobo and maybe 20 minutes to get back
  • Once we arrived at the airport, it took around 15 minutes to reach immigration and then another 10 minutes to clear it (my story of being asked for a 'gift' is probably best kept for another day!)
  • Being from the UK i was worried about the 100ml rule on hand luggage going through customs - alas i needed had worried! There was no problem.

Finally - be aware that the Emirates lounge here is NOT 24 hours. If we had decided not stay in the airport, we would have been very disappointed!

Hope this helps someone!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver

Finally - be aware that the Emirates lounge here is NOT 24 hours. If we had decided not stay in the airport, we would have been very disappointed!
Hey. Can you clarify what you mean but this statement? As far as I am aware, the EK lounge stays open 3 hours before all EK departing flights?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Hey. Can you clarify what you mean but this statement? As far as I am aware, the EK lounge stays open 3 hours before all EK departing flights?
Yes - you are right BUT i arrived on one EK flight and had a six hour layover before my next flight - the Emirates lounge was closed for the first three hours.

(sorry for msassive pic - not sure how to resize on FT!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.