FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short stopover in CMB - tips & recommendations appreciated
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:27 pm
wandering_fred

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by travelfreakuk
I have a similar layover en route to SIN and was also thinking of taking a trip to Negombo. Is this still my best / only option? I think it would be fun to spend an hour in Colombo but obviously wouldn't want to risk missing a flight.

Questions:
  • How much is a 'cab' to hire for the morning? Should I tip?
  • Is Negombo really as bad as all that? Is it in any way an example of what 'Sri Lanka' is like?
  • How long will it take to clear Immigration at CMB and be on my way in a cab?
  • How long should I allow for navigating back through the airport?
  • If Negombo is not such a good idea, what should I do with say, an hour in Colombo city?
There are a number cab booking desks in the arrivals hall after customs.
I would be very surprised if a deal for a couple of hours could not be arranged. One way fares are "book regulated" and are usually cheaper than pre-arrangements with hotels. The hotel cars may be "fancier".

My opinion is that Negombo has declined in the last 5-7 years. OTOH for a short break/meal it will beat downtown Colombo. Plenty of small open air restaurants.

Immigration at CMB has always been very quick, though being at the front of the plane helps. Customs has always smiled nicely. CX luggage has always been very quick. Ask me in a few weeks if MH does equally well.

Check-in at times can be a "zoo", though getting into the check-in area may take longer than the actual check-in if using a premium desk. Desks do not open until several hours before the flight. As lounges are "multi-carrier" you will need to go through check-in to get the entry slip.

Happy wandering

Fred