Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Arriving T1 around 12pm, how long is the immigration queue? and what about departure queue at 7pm?
Went to MNL last November arriving at terminal 1, the immigration queue is about 45mins - 1hour, most COVID restriction is at ease and the immigration area is not too crowded. Maybe, more people this month until April since it's summer.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
the airport authorities have aspirations - but a long way to go

"... its mission of transforming NAIA into a world-class airport."

https://www.miaa.gov.ph/index.php/an...UuKDoe6vudt3V4
The_Diamond_Z likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
the airport authorities have aspirations - but a long way to go

"... its mission of transforming NAIA into a world-class airport."

https://www.miaa.gov.ph/index.php/an...UuKDoe6vudt3V4
I hate to say that it has regressed from the past administration. It is a structural fault in the way the whole thing has been set up. I mean the organizations that work in NAIA and NAIA's own organizational set up. Too much political interference and also NAIA gets blamed for everything that goes on there. The security is supposed to be under OTS. At the same time OTS is also doing the operational side of things in security. OTS is supposed to be the regulatory body. BI is a law onto themselves and so is customs. The Airport Facilitation Committee does not seem to work. The guys there have no experience in running airports. Certainly not outside of the Philippines and do continue to the same thing all over again and fail all over again.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:21 pm

Hi all, just wanted to update on my experience at MNL for anyone looking to do something similar. I arrived at about 22:30 from DOH on Qatar Airways at T3, and had a departure the next morning from T1. Booked the Belmont Hotel for the night due to the proximity to the airport.

I used the Runway Manila bridge which was easy to find, felt very safe at night and there was even a golf buggy to drive you across. To be honest, had I known how short the bridge was, I would have refused the buggy, it's probably only about a 3 minute walk, but the buggy was a nice touch nonetheless.

At the end of the bridge, you take the elevator down and then about a 50 meter walk to the hotel. Could be a bit difficult if you have a lot of luggage, as there are some curbs. Belmont Hotel was perfectly fine, rooms are small but comfortable. Plenty of stuff around like McDonald's, Lawson convenience store, Starbucks.

The next morning I took a Grab to T1, took about 20 minutes at about 7AM. T1 is an awful terminal, extremely chaotic to get inside. I had access to the PAGSS Lounge, which was honestly one of the worst lounges I have ever been in.

All in all though, a very doable self - connection.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1k3.05mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
No longer any baggage security check upon entering T1, though they ask to see your ticket (I assume to make sure you are in the correct terminal). Perhaps the other terminals have also done away with entrance baggage security.

Also, in T1, there is no longer a security person at each of the two forks within the terminal asking to see your BP.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:36 pm

I have to add that the chaos at MNL is also caused by the two big airlines, PR and 5J being extremely stubborn and not moving to the best terminal as per the as the airport is concerned.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I have to add that the chaos at MNL is also caused by the two big airlines, PR and 5J being extremely stubborn and not moving to the best terminal as per the as the airport is concerned.
As with many airports in the region, I don't think the issue is that black and white... and doesn't 5J already operate most of its flights from Terminal 3?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
As with many airports in the region, I don't think the issue is that black and white... and doesn't 5J already operate most of its flights from Terminal 3?
Yes the plan was to have them operate the domestic out of T4 instead of T3. T3 also to be International only. T3 was designed to be International.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:57 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Davvidd
T3 was designed to be International.
Wait...T3 was designed?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
Wait...T3 was designed?
The current set up yes.Thats what they told me. You might see some some immigration and custom counters etc when you arrive on a domestic flight in T3. The idea was that 5J would move their domestic flights from there to the domestic terminal instead of using T3 for their domestic flights. There was no way PR is going to move from T2. With Bulacan planning to open up around 2027, things may improve. But they also need to make the land transport from Bulacan a lot better than now as it is so congested.
kevino likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:53 pm

Hi all, I'm flying into Manila from Australia and flying out the following day to Qatar (Aussie passport). Do we need to pay the travel tax on departure or is that not required? Has anyone flown out of Manila recently who can advise?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Hunter4vr
Hi all, I'm flying into Manila from Australia and flying out the following day to Qatar (Aussie passport). Do we need to pay the travel tax on departure or is that not required? Has anyone flown out of Manila recently who can advise?
not flown recently - but Tax has always ben included in tickets in all previous trips.

The only tax collected at airport relates to Philippine passport holders residing in PHL and other long term residents. PHL citizens residing outside the PHL apply for an exemption at the airport (a pretty quick process).
Hunter4vr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
not flown recently - but Tax has always ben included in tickets in all previous trips.

The only tax collected at airport relates to Philippine passport holders residing in PHL and other long term residents. PHL citizens residing outside the PHL apply for an exemption at the airport (a pretty quick process).
True. No tax for foreigners as everything is included in the ticket.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Hunter4vr
Did a similar overnight layover recently - in from DOH and depart the next day to TPE and there was no tax to be paid. On an EU passport.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:39 pm

Has anyone used the luggage storage facility in T3. https://www.facebook.com/luggageandmorestorage/

Traveling on a business trip, but wanting a break away at a beach and don't fancy carrying everything with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.