Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I have always had the hotel make the arrangements for transportation, whether it be the pickup at the airport or drop off. The price may be a little higher, but if there are any issues, I can bring it up to hotel management, and all the bills go on my hotel bill. I just tip the driver directly (most times using US$).
Old Nov 21, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Looking to do intl-intl transit in Terminal 3. Arriving on 5J and departing on SQ. Is there sterile international transit in Terminal 3? How long would you recommend for self transfer?
Hi,

We have only done international to domestic in T3 in the past and during that time, we had to pass immigration, collect our luggage and check in for our domestic flight (all done in the same Terminal).

I believe you would also need to clear immigration, collect your luggage after flying 5J, then go to SQ check-in desk which is a few minutes walk, go to immigration and security. Depending on how long the queue is at SQ check-in and immigration, I would suggest at least 3 hours for self transfer.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by thefilipinotraveler; Nov 22, 2023 at 3:42 am Reason: added more info
Old Nov 21, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Davvidd
God No. They are a scam and way too high priced.
true - but of your not willing to engage/haggle with taxi drivers then that is the price you pay. And by international standards it's not expensive, but of course is by PHI standards.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
true - but of your not willing to engage/haggle with taxi drivers then that is the price you pay. And by international standards it's not expensive, but of course is by PHI standards.
The coupon taxis you cannot haggle normally. The best is Grab as you know up front on how much you are going to pay. I actually take the normal taxis on the other side of the terminal as I normally know where I am going. I do not need to haggle at the airport as it is meter and occasionally some would refuse because of the Code monitoring in some cities for reducing vehicle entry into some zones on particular days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 7:45 pm

I have not tried using Grab in Manila airport. I read on another forum that Grab is not allowed to pick up passengers at NAIA but may book at the Grab kiosk in the arrival area. I have always used a taxi, but my experiences were mostly not pleasant.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by thomasfly
I have not tried using Grab in Manila airport. I read on another forum that Grab is not allowed to pick up passengers at NAIA but may book at the Grab kiosk in the arrival area. I have always used a taxi, but my experiences were mostly not pleasant.
There are Grab pickup points in the airport when you book a Grab in the app, you don't need to go to the kiosk.
Jonnyrock and Davvidd like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: FB Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thomasfly
You can get Grab from MNL no problem

Rumours on forums advising otherwise, possibly originate from the genuinely-friendly scammer-staff at the official airport taxi offices/kiosks

They will inform you that Grab is banned from the airport, and you need to cancel your Grab ride ASAP!

These guys have official looking rate cards, with fixed prices for proper taxis
- unfortunately the prices are ridiculous eg MNL T1 to Makati is PHP 2000 (Nov2023)
(you can still get in a taxi directly without these "bookers" and their prices)

Example prices from Grab app for T1 to Makati...
@ 8:39pm Manila time on 5th December 2023
- PHP 333 in a Grab
- PHP 257-309 in a metered taxi booked through the Grab app

@ 6:55pm Manila time on 6th December 2023
- PHP 490 (actually 504, but "Airport-to-Anywhere" option is PHP 490 fixed rate)
- PHP 359-431 in a metered taxi booked through the Grab app

Grab is often cheaper, but at peak times taxis often cost less (even booked through Grab)
- booking fee for a regular taxi using Grab app is PHP 69 (US$1.25) with this and the fare billed to your card

Last edited by 321; Dec 6, 2023 at 4:15 am Reason: minor typo and add extra Grab price data
Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by 321
You can get Grab from MNL no problem

Rumours on forums advising otherwise, possibly originate from the genuinely-friendly scammer-staff at the official airport taxi offices/kiosks

They will inform you that Grab has been banned from the airport, and so you need to cancel your Uber ASAP!

These guys have a range of official looking rate cards, with fixed prices for proper taxis
- unfortunately the prices are ridiculous eg MNL T1 to Makati is PHP 2000 (November 2023)
(you can still get in a taxi directly without these "bookers" and their prices)

Right now, the same journey would cost
- PHP 333 in a Grab
- PHP 257-309 in a metered taxi booked through the Grab app
(prices checked 8:39pm Manila time on 5th December 2023)

Grab is usually cheaper, but at peak times especially, taxis often cost less (booked through Grab app)
- booking fee for a regular taxi using Grab app is PHP 69 (US$1.25) with this and the fare billed to your card
Yes true. Don't believe what they tell you outside the airport. The local taxis on the far side are good if you know where you are going. If not a few extra pesos on a grab is the best. I have found that a lot of the normal taxis have cigarette smell inside and the grab cars are much better inside.
Depending on the time of the day and where you are going is the crux of the matter.
Jonnyrock likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:11 am

I came across this useful website about taxi services in Manila airport, https://hellomanilaairport.com/manil...taxi-services/. I usually take coupon taxis when I travel, but I heard Grab is cleaner and safer.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: Worldperks Gold, Hilton HHonnors Plat
I prefer grab as I feel as though it is safer. The price is fixed by the app and there is a record of the driver and your location. You will pay more than you could pay if you are a good negotiator, but my experience is that 500 feet down the road the taxi changes the price, and you are stuck.
The_Diamond_Z, lsquare and Davvidd like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Jonnyrock
I prefer grab as I feel as though it is safer. The price is fixed by the app and there is a record of the driver and your location. You will pay more than you could pay if you are a good negotiator, but my experience is that 500 feet down the road the taxi changes the price, and you are stuck.
It happened to me just before the Pandemic. I had to be in Makati for a meeting and the white coupon girl offered me 800 pesos to Salcedo. I took it as in a rush as though I knew it was a higher price than normal I needed to be there. I ended up with 1800 because the driver would not accept anything less that that. The white taxis are owned by a prominent guy and this is how business is get done in The Philippines.
Fromm then I would never get on a white coupon taxi. I know the yellow taxi guy is out to scam me if he can and he knows that I know that. With the Grab they cannot do that. So I always take a Grab now unless I get picked up at the airport.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Let's say you're stuck landside from midnight to about 5 AM. Where would you go and eat? I've never charged my phones outside of a lounge at MNL, but I'm reading that in the Philippines they use three different kinds of sockets. Which ones are mainly installed at MNL? Where are the best places to go and charge phones?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Let's say you're stuck landside from midnight to about 5 AM. Where would you go and eat? I've never charged my phones outside of a lounge at MNL, but I'm reading that in the Philippines they use three different kinds of sockets. Which ones are mainly installed at MNL? Where are the best places to go and charge phones?
They have USB ports at the airport.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Davvidd
They have USB ports at the airport.
All over the airport? Easy to find? I'm assuming it's USB-A ports? What about outlets?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
All over the airport? Easy to find? I'm assuming it's USB-A ports? What about outlets?
The two prong ones to charge phones are available too. Certainly in departures
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.