Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by pochi
Hi Netizens,

Did anyone try Back to Back turnaround in T3? (international to International) after recently?
Wanna do CX to CX or NH to NH.
I have done it but with a one night layover. Not back to back but fly into T3 late at night and fly out to a different destination the next early morning.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevino
If you were eventually departing from T3, you'd need to show a ticket or electronic BP to enter the check-in area on the departures level, but in your case, you are departing from T2, so after the Wings lounge, you would go to the ground floor to take the shuttle bus to T2 (or a taxi).
May I add a somewhat related question here regarding Terminal transfer?
I‘m a bit confused as some websites mention there‘s only an airside transfer, some mention, there‘s a landside transfer between terminals.

I‘m staying at the Hilton (which is close to T3) and have a flight out of T1.
So what‘s the best option to get to T1?
Walk using the Runway Bridge to T3 and find a landside shuttle? While arriving at T3 after baggage claim (so landside) I saw a sign „Terminal Transfer“ with direction to the left. I that where I need to go?

Thank you!

Edit:
I guess this us the answer to my question https://ittekuru.com/2020/01/05/airp...-road/#shuttle

So there‘s a landside shuttle that runs every hour without a posted schedule. That’s fun.
Probably better to take a Grab from the Hotel for ~300 PHP……

Last edited by Hippo72; Jan 24, 2023 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Hippo72, that's a very nice link you posted. Great pics and good maps. Thank you.

Once you get to the Hilton, ask if by chance Resorts World has re-started their shuttle that goes to each of the terminals. If so, it will probably stop at the Hilton and other hotels around Newport City.
SPN Lifer and Hippo72 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:13 pm

Hippo72, that's a very nice link you posted. Great pics and good maps. Thank you.

Once you get to the Hilton, ask if by chance Resorts World has re-started their shuttle that goes to each of the terminals. If so, it will probably stop at the Hilton and other hotels around Newport City.
The Resorts Shuttle does not (yet) stop at T1.
So I took a Grab for 265 PHP. Travel time ~40 Minutes with a very very strange driver. Second time in my life that I really felt unsafe in a taxi/uber/grab after a Taxi ride in Cairo. But that’s OT.

Also learned that in MNL T1 you can’t go to immigration with a mobile BP…… and they took my small nail scissors „not allowed, Sir“ at security control which I‘m carrying for years…. Not a financial damage.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Hippo72
The Resorts Shuttle does not (yet) stop at T1.
So I took a Grab for 265 PHP. Travel time ~40 Minutes with a very very strange driver. Second time in my life that I really felt unsafe in a taxi/uber/grab after a Taxi ride in Cairo. But that’s OT.

Also learned that in MNL T1 you can’t go to immigration with a mobile BP…… and they took my small nail scissors „not allowed, Sir“ at security control which I‘m carrying for years…. Not a financial damage.
You would have felt more unsafe if that same driver was a taxi driver.

I've had my standard nail clipper file broken off and the clipper returned to me in T3 before. Absolutely ridiculous and I told them so. If enough people complain mb things will change there (in 50 years).

Did they ask to see a ticket in order to enter through the outside terminal doors in T1? Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:13 am

Did the Grab driver use the tollway from T3 to T1? Did he charge you 2x for it (automatically in the app) and when in the car too?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:11 am

To get inside the Terminal I showed my TG mobile boarding pass (flying Thai). For immigration that can’t be used and I had to wait for the TG counter to open and get a proper printed boarding pass. Not a big issue, I was early.

The driver (rating 4.1) was griping/complaining (?) as soon as I entered that he can’t drive to T1. He only drove very slow and used his mobile more than paying attention to the traffic jam. He continuously mentioned no T1. Had my bag in the trunk….
After a few minutes he stopped Grab (and it was charged the full amount). I asked to get off. No no sir, I‘ll bring you to T1. Driving skills were terrible.
But in the end he dropped me of at T1 International departures. And asked for tip. I told him, will do via Grab. He asked many times for cash. No
I did not add a tip, however.
kevino likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:41 am

To get inside the Terminal I showed my TG mobile boarding pass (flying Thai). For immigration that can’t be used and I had to wait for the TG counter to open and get a proper printed boarding pass. Not a big issue, I was early.

The driver (rating 4.1) was griping/complaining (?) as soon as I entered that he can’t drive to T1. He only drove very slow and used his mobile more than paying attention to the traffic jam. He continuously mentioned no T1. Had my bag in the trunk….
After a few minutes he stopped Grab (and it was charged the full amount). I asked to get off. No no sir, I‘ll bring you to T1. Driving skills were terrible.
But in the end he dropped me of at T1 International departures. And asked for tip. I told him, will do via Grab. He asked many times for cash. No
I did not add a tip, however.
Thats very strange. Was it a Grab Taxi or a private Grab? I have been in and out frequently and the private Grab drivers are very polite and never has asked for a tip. Yes the normal taxi drivers are a scam most of the time.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:45 am

You would have felt more unsafe if that same driver was a taxi driver.

I've had my standard nail clipper file broken off and the clipper returned to me in T3 before. Absolutely ridiculous and I told them so. If enough people complain mb things will change there (in 50 years).

Did they ask to see a ticket in order to enter through the outside terminal doors in T1? Thanks.
Philippines aviation has been under the cosh now. Part of it is political and part is the legacy from the last administration.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Thats very strange. Was it a Grab Taxi or a private Grab? I have been in and out frequently and the private Grab drivers are very polite and never has asked for a tip. Yes the normal taxi drivers are a scam most of the time.
It was a GrabCar 4-seater. So not the GrabTaxi option.
That‘s why I got charged the full pre-calculated amount even when he ended the ride after a few minutes.
Which is ok, of course, because in the end he drove me to T1.

I used Grab the very first time in Manila and had 13 rides the last couple of days before this last one. All other drivers indeed were very polite, some didn’t talk at all (which is fine!), with others I‘d nice conversations.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:36 pm

It was a GrabCar 4-seater. So not the GrabTaxi option.
That‘s why I got charged the full pre-calculated amount even when he ended the ride after a few minutes.
Which is ok, of course, because in the end he drove me to T1.

I used Grab the very first time in Manila and had 13 rides the last couple of days before this last one. All other drivers indeed were very polite, some didn’t talk at all (which is fine!), with others I‘d nice conversations.
Even the taxi option, the charge would be what it shows on the app. Now before Christmas some would say Merry Christmas and is there any tip for me? But they always say with a smile and politely. This is the first time I have heard of something like this with a private Grab car. It doesn't help when the Land Transport Office has no idea as to what they are doing and have regulations that certain number plates cannot go into certain zones on certain days.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kevino (Post # 768)
As of Tuesday , 3 January 2023, the shuttle had not resumed.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:18 pm

Unofficial MNL airport guide

Since the MNL official website is next to useless, I've cobbled together an improvised UNOFFICIAL portal that gathers the separate MNL-related posts I've written over the past couple of years. Sharing it here in case it's of interest or help to anyone using this airport:

https://ittekuru.com/naia-airport-guide/

Here's a detailed overview page that also links to my various MNL-related reports:

https://ittekuru.com/2020/01/11/airp...a-philippines/

A few caveats and various odds-and-ends.
- As a resident of Greater Manila, I've never transferred between flights at MNL since it's effectively my home airport (either my point of origin or final destination). As such, I've not been able to write at length about flight connections. One of the pages in the guide collects the information that I've been able to suss out regarding connecting flights at MNL, but none of it is based on direct experience.
- I very rarely travel within the Philippines so the guide is rather weak on domestic flight information. I've had a recent local trip out of T3 so that's covered, but the domestic wing of T2 and the all-domestic T4 aren't covered at all.
- I plan to keep these guides (especially the individual terminal reports) up to date as much as possible, either from personal experience or from official/reliable sources, but needless to say it won't be possible to ensure that every detail is accurate or current.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:42 am

Calling all MNL (and CEB) frequent travellers here for help! I want to travel from Japan to Palawan with a two year old toddler in tow and then onward to Singapore. What's the best option?

I would like to minimise waiting times and chaos (especially because of toddler), as well as padding delays. J is mostly important for faster handling (security, check-in, immigration?) and waiting spaces (lounge with toddler) and less for onboard experience.

Japan to Philippines:
J: PAL to MNL T2, overnight at hotel (probably Sofitel or near T3), MNL to USU (either J / Premium Eco with PAL from T2 or from T3 with Cebu in Y)?
Y: PAL to CEB, overnight at hotel near sea side, CEB to USU next day
Alternatively connecting to ENI in T4.

Philippines to Singapore:
J: USU or ENI to MNL (arriving either T2 PAL Premium Eco from USU, T3 Cebu from USU or T4 from ENI), overnight at hotel (probably Sofitel or near T3), MNL-SIN with PAL in J from T2
Y: T3 Cebu from USU or T4 from ENI to MNL, overnight at hotel (probably near T3), MNL-SIN with SQ in Y from T3
Y: USU/ENI to CEB T1, overnight at hotel near sea side, CEB to SIN next day (with SQ or Scoot)

Which option would you suggest. It's going to be (very) high season (April). Either the week before or after Easter.
Browsing the internet I get frequent complaints about the very slow immigration in CEB. Is it worse than in MNL? Are waiting time / security checks in T2 or T3 in MNL generally worse than in CEB? Recently there seems to have been a reshuffling of airlines between MNL terminals. How has this affected T2, T3 and T4?

Thank you!

Last edited by aflo; Jan 30, 2023 at 4:22 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by aflo
Calling all MNL (and CEB) frequent travellers here for help! I want to travel from Japan to Palawan with a two year old toddler in tow and then onward to Singapore. What's the best option?

I would like to minimise waiting times and chaos (especially because of toddler), as well as padding delays. J is mostly important for faster handling (security, check-in, immigration?) and waiting spaces (lounge with toddler) and less for onboard experience.

Japan to Philippines:
J: PAL to MNL T2, overnight at hotel (probably Sofitel or near T3), MNL to USU (either J / Premium Eco with PAL from T2 or from T3 with Cebu in Y)?
Y: PAL to CEB, overnight at hotel near sea side, CEB to USU next day
Alternatively connecting to ENI in T4.

Philippines to Singapore:
J: USU or ENI to MNL (arriving either T2 PAL Premium Eco from USU, T3 Cebu from USU or T4 from ENI), overnight at hotel (probably Sofitel or near T3), MNL-SIN with PAL in J from T2
Y: T3 Cebu from USU or T4 from ENI to MNL, overnight at hotel (probably near T3), MNL-SIN with SQ in Y from T3
Y: USU/ENI to CEB T1, overnight at hotel near sea side, CEB to SIN next day (with SQ or Scoot)

Which option would you suggest. It's going to be (very) high season (April). Either the week before or after Easter.
Browsing the internet I get frequent complaints about the very slow immigration in CEB. Is it worse than in MNL? Are waiting time / security checks in T2 or T3 in MNL generally worse than in CEB? Recently there seems to have been a reshuffling of airlines between MNL terminals. How has this affected T2, T3 and T4?

Thank you!
Any reason why you want to do Cebu first? Cebu has direct flights to SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.