Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Guide to MNL / Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport [Merged thread]

Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Connections within Terminal 3 are particularly smooth.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Yes, US-issued Visa credit card on Grab - I had read that Grab started charging for foreign cards, so I wasn't surprised. Still worth not having to deal with taxis and cash exchange. Good to know about Departures - my flight to BKK is around Noon, but I'll be staying the last night at the Sheraton close by.
Wait when did Grab start to do this? I was at MNL this past Feb I don't think I noticed it
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by OldAsiaHand
It must have been too horrible to recall.

My four trips thru MNL this year have been so hassle-free, I almost forgot I was in Manila. Even the new PAL lounge in T1 was a very pleasant surprise!
I found out I had Lounge access when I was at JFK so on the return trip I got to check out the new PAL lounge.. it was nice watching the sun set I got pretty spoiled I should say.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:04 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
...3% foreign transaction fee added by Grab.
Originally Posted by MikeCL
Wait when did Grab start to do this? I was at MNL this past Feb I don't think I noticed it
I got Grab to MNL airport on 31/Mar/2024 and was not charged a foreign transaction fee when using a foreign credit card
FlitBen and MikeCL like this.

Last edited by 321; May 1, 2024 at 1:04 am Reason: clarity
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by 321
I got Grab to MNL airport on 31/Mar/2024 and was not charged a foreign transaction fee when using a foreign credit card
Hmm I'll be going again in Jan of next year so I will be on the look out.. but I never had issues with Grab so far.. Only the issue of adding my Chase card while here, I had to try like 20 times before it finally took the info, it kept saying to contact them and it was a invalid card.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by 321
I usually pay cash for Grab rides in Asian cities but that's good to know.
Davvidd likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:36 am

Anyone know about Signo Custom Clothing in Manila for custom suits?
Old May 2, 2024, 5:59 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by FlitBen
I usually pay cash for Grab rides in Asian cities but that's good to know.
So do I as it is much easier for all parties.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Well guys I now have another question about short transits at MNL.

I'm booked in business on PR KUL-MNL-SYD later this month (all 1 ticket), and at the time of booking the transfer at MNL was 2 hrs 20 min, which I thought should be OK.

Now however, PR has just come up with a schedule change reducing the transfer to 1 hr 30 min.

Is this likely to cause me a problem in making the SYD flight? I expect that if I miss the connection PR would put me on another flight at some time, but I really would like to get home on the date I booked for.
Old May 17, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Grace B
Well guys I now have another question about short transits at MNL.

I'm booked in business on PR KUL-MNL-SYD later this month (all 1 ticket), and at the time of booking the transfer at MNL was 2 hrs 20 min, which I thought should be OK.

Now however, PR has just come up with a schedule change reducing the transfer to 1 hr 30 min.

Is this likely to cause me a problem in making the SYD flight? I expect that if I miss the connection PR would put me on another flight at some time, but I really would like to get home on the date I booked for.
I don't think would be an issue if running on time - all in same terminal (I presume)
Old May 18, 2024, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I don't think would be an issue if running on time - all in same terminal (I presume)
Yes, all in T1. I guess I'll just have to hustle. If running late and I miss the connection, I'd expect PR to put me on the next available flight in the same class on any airline.

We'll see how it goes...
Davvidd likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Grace B
Yes, all in T1. I guess I'll just have to hustle. If running late and I miss the connection, I'd expect PR to put me on the next available flight in the same class on any airline.

We'll see how it goes...
not many options for direct routings - QF or Cebu Pacific! As always I would have my options sorted out in advance and tell them what flights would suit you and hopefully you will get it.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:10 pm

Many thanks to all on this thread for the past insight on transfer at MNL. Just wanted to share my own experience from a few weeks ago making the transfer from T2 to T3. Flights were Philippine Airlines 2142 from Iloilo to Manila arriving at 1130 at T2, then (on a separate, unlinked itinerary) from T3 on Emirates 333 from Manila to Dubai leaving at 1730. Bottom line: took 1 hour 20 minutes to get from T2 to T3. We got to T3 so early that the Emirates check in desk wasn't open yet! With the wait for check in, all told it was 3 h gate to gate T2 to T3.

Landed at 1120. The impassable chasm, or so it had been described: getting between terminal 2 (foreground) and terminal 3 (background) in any reasonable time. The past lack of coordination between terminals: its been described as 4 entirely separate airports that happen to share a runway

Off the plane by 1130. Inexplicably they deliberately prevent you from making connections to other flights within the terminal without going through security again, even domestically on the same airline. This cordon and door should be where you just walk off your flight into the airside departures area, to connect elsewhere

Instead they force you down this hall

To go to baggage

And then back outside security. You can see the sign to the inter-terminal bus on the bottom right of the blue sign

This would be the way to the inter-terminal bus

But it so happened that coming on Philippine Airlines, they offer a shuttle that goes airside, without having to go through public traffic. You have to be connecting with an airline that has a codeshare agreement with them - in our case, though our flight is actually Emirates-operated we booked as an Air Canada codeshare, it also is a PAL one too, so we could use it. Wasn't planning on being able to, but since they said we could, we went with it

The PAL transit lounge is where you catch the transfer bus

You have to go through security (with your checked bags - impressively, we got them within 10 minutes of arriving!) as the bus goes airside. The scanner is actually too small for suitcases so they use dog sniffers

The shuttle to terminal 1 is more frequent since there are more PAL international flights there, we waited a few rounds

By 1240 our shuttle to T3 was underway. We were the only ones. The shuttle remains airside for most of the route

Passed by terminal 4 but didnt stop

Then just outside T3, we cross the gate to go landside, and join public traffic

Arriving by 1250, just a 10 minute ride

Plenty of space for just us 4 and our bags

Arrived in fact well before the actual check in desks were open; we were in the check in queue by 1255, but didnt actually drop bags until they opened; done by 1410. Next was security and immigration: we were directed to the diplomatic line for no apparent reason other than that the regular line was getting long

And out to the departure gates by 1420. So all told, 1 h 20 min to make the terminal transfer, which was mainly the wait for the transfer bus; and 3 hours total including the actual check in, which is pretty usual anywhere else really considering its essentially a check-in from scratch on a separate reservation

Plenty of time for a lounge
Old May 23, 2024, 12:30 am

Programs: FB Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 321
Grab PH is now charging a 3% foreign card fee (Grab Car and Grab Food)
- it's itemised on the food ordering page, but not even mentioned on the ride booking page
(click the tiny "i" next to your choice of vehicle type on the confirmation page to see the fee!)
Old May 23, 2024, 1:13 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by governorgeneral
Many thanks to all on this thread for the past insight on transfer at MNL. Just wanted to share my own experience from a few weeks ago making the transfer from T2 to T3. Flights were Philippine Airlines 2142 from Iloilo to Manila arriving at 1130 at T2, then (on a separate, unlinked itinerary) from T3 on Emirates 333 from Manila to Dubai leaving at 1730. Bottom line: took 1 hour 20 minutes to get from T2 to T3. We got to T3 so early that the Emirates check in desk wasn't open yet! With the wait for check in, all told it was 3 h gate to gate T2 to T3.

Landed at 1120. The impassable chasm, or so it had been described: getting between terminal 2 (foreground) and terminal 3 (background) in any reasonable time. The past lack of coordination between terminals: its been described as 4 entirely separate airports that happen to share a runway
You are right in that is separate airports factually that shares two runways and not a single airport. They do not plan to invest much any time soon because the only way they could expand is getting rid of the Air Force base and some premium land including the golf course and it is not going to happen. Now they hope that Bulacan Airport is going to be the cure for all but even that the first runway only is projected to open in 2027. No one knows how and when they will have a new Highway to MNL. The current Express Way only really works during night time as everyone else is on it and is jam packed.

[extraneous quoted photos deleted by moderator]
governorgeneral and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 24, 2024 at 9:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.