Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Jul 1, 22, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Has to be said prices don't just stand still. When the blue rate rises the prices for everything rise as well. Been that way since I came to live here15 years ago.
Yes, that is quite true. But at least for my two trips earlier this year, the inflation hadn't quite kept up with the currency devaluation, making many things quite inexpensive.
HIDDY and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Yes, that is quite true. But at least for my two trips earlier this year, the inflation hadn't quite kept up with the currency devaluation, making many things quite inexpensive.
Been a big hike in prices in everyday goods the last couple of weeks. The worst I've ever seen it.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:11 pm

We got here Feb 26th, and will be leaving this Monday July 4th. When we arrived an empenada was 55 pesos. Now, when we walk by the same shop it's 75.

Shampoo and toothpaste have go up, but still cheap compared to the US.

It has been a very cheap place to live for the past 4.5 months. Off to Peru next.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by stan1162 View Post
We got here Feb 26th, and will be leaving this Monday July 4th. When we arrived an empenada was 55 pesos. Now, when we walk by the same shop it's 75.

Shampoo and toothpaste have go up, but still cheap compared to the US.

It has been a very cheap place to live for the past 4.5 months. Off to Peru next.
Enjoy! the next part of your journey, thanks for all of your posts… I have enjoyed reading them
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:35 am

Need some advice on two questions
Coming in for a split vacation with 3 days in BA and 7 days in Bariloche.

Is it as simple to change USD to blue pesos in Bariloche as it is in BA? (I personally have always used the concierge to bring someone in to exchange, I never experienced a lower rate.

In regards to accomodations. I assume the best way for hotels is to book it 'reserve now and pay later' in pesos at checkout. Does anyone have any ideas or experience on how to book Airbnb or VRBO and not prepay via credit card? Basically, how can someone book Airbnb/VRBO and take advantage of the blue rate?
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elusive1 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas or experience on how to book Airbnb or VRBO and not prepay via credit card? Basically, how can someone book Airbnb/VRBO and take advantage of the blue rate?
I wouldn't be surprised if it as elusive as your name. Why? I expect that a fair # of the funds from these bookings never enters Argentina, and accordingly, US$ based, not based on some AR$ conversion rate.
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it as elusive as your name. Why? I expect that a fair # of the funds from these bookings never enters Argentina, and accordingly, US$ based, not based on some AR$ conversion rate.
That makes sense, the majority of homeowners prefer to get it in Paypal or wired to an overseas bank.

Looks like its either a handful of hotel rooms or bite the bullet and pay full rack on an Airbnb

Last edited by elusive1; Jul 2, 22 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Been a big hike in prices in everyday goods the last couple of weeks. The worst I've ever seen it.
Just curious about how far back your perspective goes. It was a textbook case of hypertension-inducing hyperinflation during the 1980s into at least around the first US-led Gulf War. Viola had exchange controls too, but I don’t recall how they functioned.
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Just curious about how far back your perspective goes. It was a textbook case of hypertension-inducing hyperinflation during the 1980s into at least around the first US-led Gulf War. Viola had exchange controls too, but I don’t recall how they functioned.
When I bought my place in late 2008 (and for quite some time before and after) the exchange rate was more or less AR$3 to US$1. Things were inexpensive, but not cheap as compared to the US. So, your 1000 peso note, which didn't exist back then, would have been worth about $333.00. Today, a 1000 peso note is worth under $4.50 or so. Now, what does that buy? The cost of things (not imported electronics, etc., but food and beverage, household general expenses) varies from cheap to not cheap, but rarely expensive. A ride to/from EZE swings from under US$20 to about US$40, depending on when the currency devaluation meets an inflation swing. Empanadas (run of the mill) hover around a dollar, but sometimes a fair sum less. During my two trips earlier this year, I thought things were unsustainably cheap, and that local inflation would have to catch up, and it appears to be doing so. Price of an EZE ride went up $1000 (about 30%) between those two trips.

The real estate market is as good as frozen right now, which is quite telling as to the actual state of the economy.

As a tourist, it remains a decent and enjoyable value.
Old Jul 2, 22, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
This was posted on Ambito. No disrespect to my Argentine friends, but throughout the world we are all suffering inflation! Some more than other, however we are all suffering

https://www.ambito.com/opiniones/dol...vitar-n5476683

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 2, 22 at 7:13 pm
Old Jul 2, 22, 7:17 pm

Eastbay1K The real estate market is as good as frozen right now, which is quite telling as to the actual state of the economy.

I’m a little confused by that statement can you elaborate. Is this a good time for people whom have dollars to purchase real estate in Buenos Aires? Specifically Apartments?
Old Jul 2, 22, 7:33 pm

Never expected this!

https://www.ambito.com/economia/mart...istro-n5477107

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 2, 22 at 7:40 pm
Old Jul 2, 22, 7:52 pm

Critical times ahead!

I really liked the work of Martin Guzman. Critical times lie ahead: https://www.ambito.com/finanzas/dola...rcado-n5477137

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 2, 22 at 9:33 pm
Old Jul 4, 22, 9:07 am

Successfully done thru Western Union about two weeks ago. Rate was 238. Actual rate a bit lower with their fee. Thank you. Very fast. Transfer took two days to arrive in BA checking account.

Last edited by PSPandBA; Jul 4, 22 at 9:09 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 4, 22, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Blue Dollar Jumps 20 Pesos Over the Weekend

From 232 to 252 to the USD. Spread is now 252 - 268, indicating very high volatility. Spread is usually 3 pesos.

Search this Thread