Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Jan 28, 20, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Argentina has never been an inexpensive destination. The value proposition varies, depending on the relative exchange rate. As pointed above, now is a very good time to come down, as the values can be very good to excellent.... but, Argentina is not a budget destination. The world is large and there are plenty of "cheap" places to visit..... Argentina isn't one of them.

Sadly, I do have to agree with Hiddy in his comments above about Service. Argentina is still very much "in diapers" when it comes to treating tourists. A lot of folks that work with and are in the tourism industry still see visitors as walking ATMs, and this is the worst possible approach. Visitors that come, have a good time and are treated fairly will provide invaluable word-of-mouth and encourage their friends/acquaintances to visit.... that kind of publicity cannot be bought, no matter how high your marketing budget is.

Thanks to all the regular visitors to these forums that help potential visitors to Argentina gather information... I couldn't do it all by myself !!!

Cheers from EZE,
Alex / Gaucho100K
pdcarg77 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by livious View Post
Sorry to interrupt , but I am with Hiddy on the cost of visiting Argentina. We (family of 4) spent 3+ weeks in Argentina around the holidays and it cost more than we anticipated. I would not describe the trip as expensive, but hotels and food were a bit higher than expected (even after the VAT reduction). If you are moving around the country, transportation costs really start to add up as well.

With that being said, we would return without hesitation. Amazing country, good food and wine and loads of culture...definitely worth the cost! But tourists should be aware that things are not that cheap, even with the peso falling.
This was my impression also. Certain things, especially transportation, were fiendishly expensive. If we hadn't been extremely careful to use Blue dollars wherever we could, the whole trip would have been ruinous, but with Blue dollars it was fair value. I loved it all but hated dealing with Blue dollars. There are many places in the world where you can get better value without the hassle and Argentina only loses by doing business in this way.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
lhrsfo , Please let us know what transport you found expensive.

With the exception of car hire most other transport seems reasonable to me
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
I loved it all but hated dealing with Blue dollars. There are many places in the world where you can get better value without the hassle and Argentina only loses by doing business in this way.
Yes not everyone feels comfortable dealing in Blue dollars. I know someone who was worried they would have to knock on a door up some dark back alley with the chance of being mugged or arrested.
It gives out the wrong message and does the country no favours.
Old Feb 2, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Yes not everyone feels comfortable dealing in Blue dollars. I know someone who was worried they would have to knock on a door up some dark back alley with the chance of being mugged or arrested.
It gives out the wrong message and does the country no favours.
Why is that? Every Argentine I know deals with Blue? Many people have agents come to their home via a mobile service. I go to a Cuerva In a very nice neighborhood, with bulletproof glass windows just like a bank come and a police man outside most of the days. Itís a very vibrant location and most are either changing pesos into dollars for savings, or withdrawing dollars for spending money. I feel very comfortable.
Old Feb 2, 20, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Why is that? Every Argentine I know deals with Blue? Many people have agents come to their home via a mobile service. I go to a Cuerva In a very nice neighborhood, with bulletproof glass windows it feels just like a bank... with a police man outside most of the days. Itís a very vibrant location and most are either changing pesos into dollars for savings, or withdrawing dollars for spending money. I feel very comfortable.
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is that? Every Argentine I know deals with Blue? Many people have agents come to their home via a mobile service. I go to a Cuerva In a very nice neighborhood, with bulletproof glass windows just like a bank come and a police man outside most of the days. It’s a very vibrant location and most are either changing pesos into dollars for savings, or withdrawing dollars for spending money. I feel very comfortable.
We're taking about foreign visitors especially first time ones to the country, not Argentines....the locals are the ones who got us into this mess in the first place.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
lhrsfo , Please let us know what transport you found expensive.

With the exception of car hire most other transport seems reasonable to me
I agree 100% with malagajohn on this.... perhaps domestic airfares for non residents is also an area where relative pricing is not very attractive in Argentina. Aside from the noted Car Rental Costs, all other forms of transportation are good to very good value - especially for visitors.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
We're taking about foreign visitors especially first time ones to the country, not Argentines....the locals are the ones who got us into this mess in the first place.
Exacto. For many / most international travelers, the concepts of (1) traveling with and relying on cash, and (2) having to go through a non-official route to get it, are the issues. Also, the wads of cash that one must walk around with are a bit "unreasonable" again ... Until the new Nestor, Hugo and Fidel notes are printed (and who knows how much they'll be worth once coming into circulation).
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Exacto. For many / most international travelers, the concepts of (1) traveling with and relying on cash, and (2) having to go through a non-official route to get it, are the issues. Also, the wads of cash that one must walk around with are a bit "unreasonable" again ... Until the new Nestor, Hugo and Fidel notes are printed (and who knows how much they'll be worth once coming into circulation).
I actually disagree, most flyers whom travel internationally are somewhat savvy these days. Especially Flyertalkers! Isnít that what Flyertalk is all about. There are Cuevas in every neighborhood, even the posh ones. For me I know several and itís not that hard to dip in there and just cash a $100 dollar bill or several at a time. Wasnít there a post a while back that people were stating that blue makes sense once again. When the margins are low I totally understand, but itís something to look into.
Old Feb 10, 20, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I actually disagree, most flyers whom travel internationally are somewhat savvy these days. Especially Flyertalkers! Isnít that what Flyertalk is all about. There are Cuevas in every neighborhood, even the posh ones. For me I know several and itís not that hard to dip in there and just cash a $100 dollar bill or several at a time. Wasnít there a post a while back that people were stating that blue makes sense once again. When the margins are low I totally understand, but itís something to look into.
Oh, Blue makes sense, and I further sense it will be another 4 years or so before I visit another ATM in La Patria. save some urgent situation, but being savvy and being chronically inconvenienced by currency matters are different things. Compound this with the fact that the US$ gets you more, so our Ä and £ and other friends first need to buy their $ to then bring to La Arg to change into AR$ for "maximum value."
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:58 am

My recent visit to BA beg Feb 2020.
Easy and safe exchange at Florida at 73 pesos per USD.
Then a huge bife de lomo at London Steak House at Florida 800 pesos.
Then a bottle of Malbec there at 390 pesos.
Then a taxi from there to Plaza Dorrego (San Telmo) for 215 pesos (the driver received 250 pesos and thanked profoudly).
Who says it's not a bargain (for the time being, at least)? :-)

My previous visit, 2 years ago: the exchange rate at Florida was 17 pesos/$ and the prices in pesos were half of those quoted above.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 6:25 pm

Exclamation

Please allow me to Congratulate you on your positive "attitude" with your review and how you seem to have enjoyed your trip. Its all too often that I have to read about folks that come down and spend a very relevant (if not all) amount of their time and energy trying to squeeze out each and every last peso out of their hard currency, are constantly crunching numbers and benchmarking what costs more here or there..... its hard to understand how these folks can have a good time while on "vacation". I think your approach to relax, look more at the positives rather than the negatives is the guaranteed way to have a GREAT trip and create memorable moments that will last a life-time.

Please let me know next time you are in EZE, I would be most happy to treat you to a bottle of a nice small production Malbec.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by abeyro View Post
My recent visit to BA beg Feb 2020.
Easy and safe exchange at Florida at 73 pesos per USD.
Then a huge bife de lomo at London Steak House at Florida 800 pesos.
Then a bottle of Malbec there at 390 pesos.
Then a taxi from there to Plaza Dorrego (San Telmo) for 215 pesos (the driver received 250 pesos and thanked profoudly).
Who says it's not a bargain (for the time being, at least)? :-)

My previous visit, 2 years ago: the exchange rate at Florida was 17 pesos/$ and the prices in pesos were half of those quoted above.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Oct 31, 21, 6:29 am

I have been lagging in thanking you for your kind offer of Malbec. Sorry about that but you know the reason.
I hoped the corona vaccination cards would give a way to return to normalcy but apparently it's NOT going to happen soon.
Nth wave of pandemia in Europe and airtickets skyrocketing...
Will I ever be able to be in the beloved Buenos again?
Old Oct 31, 21, 3:03 pm

Borders are re-opening on November 1st for fully vaccinated tourists from (most) destinations. Please check the other threads for more information.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread