Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Jun 23, 22, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY View Post
Iím happy to delete it if itís not, but a $70 transaction as a favor to a trusted flyertalker is hardly a big deal IMO. Otherwise Iíll just keep it.

Itís enough for a taxi and a little something to eat the first day without changing money,
From Commercial Post in Rules:
  • FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Fair enough then.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA G, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Just arrived in BA today with family and having tried to read in these and TA forums about changing Blue dollars, I felt unclear/uneasy about the whole subject. After checking into hotel, I asked the concierge if he could tell me how to do it safely, and he said, if I didn't mind getting a slightly lower rate, someone from a legit bureau would come to hotel and swap for me there and then. so 30 mins later, I'd swapped $400 at 210, which I was very satisfied with. To illustrate, we had to queue to get some Pesos at airport for initial expenses, and change at $1 = 122 (-10% tax). Also we did a quick look at Calle Florida where lots of the casa de cambios and their hawkers are located, and knowing we would easily be identifed as inexperienced travellers/changers, I was very happy to avoid that experience.

Last edited by loosehead; Jun 25, 22 at 3:45 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 25, 22, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by loosehead View Post
Just arrived in BA today with family and having tried to read in these and TA forums about changing Blue dollars, I felt unclear/uneasy about the whole subject. After checking into hotel, I asked the concierge if he could tell me how to do it safely, and he said, if I didn't mind getting a slightly lower rate, someone from a legit bureau would come to hotel and swap for me there and then. so 30 mins later, I'd swapped $400 at 210, which I was very satisfied with. To illustrate, we had to queue to get some Pesos at airport for initial expenses, and change at $1 = 122 (-10% tax). Also we did a quick look at Calle Florida where lots of the casa de cambios and their hawkers are located, and knowing we would easily be identifed as inexperienced travellers/changers, I was very happy to avoid that experience.
For about a $20-$25 service fee for the mobile cambio , I think you did really well. Smart move on your part. The informal rate today is 222 ARS to USD
MSPeconomist and loosehead like this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 3:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You did alright considering delivery. I got 218 last week at the one on Av. Florida that masquerades as a Brazilian travel agency, That’s the one the Reddit expats like.
Old Jun 28, 22, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by loosehead View Post
Appreciate you sharing this and I've had similar feelings. I read numerous and breathless accounts around the internet and on Youtube about the awesomeness of the Blue Dollar market. However, I remain a bit hesitant in attempting to benefit from it. My wife and I are very seasoned travelers, traveling all over the world, including a few trips to BA over the years. We are also pretty "brave" (at least I suppose by some standards). But all that said, I remain a bit nervous with the idea that I'm just going to stroll down Calle Florida, with a wad of US dollars in my pocket and step into "Guido's back office" to exchange money. As mentioned, I'm not really someone prone to fear or paranoia, and frequently travel to places that many do seem to fear. But I also believe part of my success in those endeavors is I try very hard to be careful about putting myself (and particularly my wife) into unnecessarily risky situations. I am always looking over my shoulder and try to maintain situational awareness.

But in this case, my thoughts go to 1) how do I know that I'm not being given counterfeit money in exchange for my dollars and 2) how do I know that Guido isn't going to simply punch me in the head, take my dollars, and send me on my way?

So far, the potential savings just haven't motivated me to take that risk.

I'd love to see a more in-depth "tutorial" on how to do this safely, but mostly the talk on here is just "go trade your USD for Blue Dollars at Calle Florida" but with little details or specific guidance on how to do it safely and not get taken.

Regards
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:27 pm

Potential solution: speak with locals in your neighborhood. Find a local spot and change there! The one that I go to has bulletproof glass, mostly locals, counting machines (and on occasion a police man outside)! Nice friendly guys as well!
Old Jun 28, 22, 3:58 pm

The one we have found has a nice older gentleman, glass, and a counting machine with digital reader. I stand next to my DH, and we count/watch/act together. We are very situationally aware. I'm a tall, not petite woman who all my life has felt my confidence has come in part with my phyiscal presence. I just don't look like a "shrinking violet". I know it's not foolproof, ad anybody can have a bad experience, but so far, we've been good.
While we've ben here, we've golfed quite a bit. We have played more than once with a pilot. They too, have someone come to the hotel to change money for the crews.
Also when we first got here, we did a free walking tour, and the guide had the name of a woman he recommended.
Old Jun 29, 22, 3:02 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Důlar Blue at 235 - 238 Spread

Time to visit Argentina, as Gaucho 100K and others recommend!
Old Jun 29, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: BA G, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Appreciate you sharing this and I've had similar feelings. I read numerous and breathless accounts around the internet and on Youtube about the awesomeness of the Blue Dollar market. However, I remain a bit hesitant in attempting to benefit from it. My wife and I are very seasoned travelers, traveling all over the world, including a few trips to BA over the years. We are also pretty "brave" (at least I suppose by some standards). But all that said, I remain a bit nervous with the idea that I'm just going to stroll down Calle Florida, with a wad of US dollars in my pocket and step into "Guido's back office" to exchange money. As mentioned, I'm not really someone prone to fear or paranoia, and frequently travel to places that many do seem to fear. But I also believe part of my success in those endeavors is I try very hard to be careful about putting myself (and particularly my wife) into unnecessarily risky situations. I am always looking over my shoulder and try to maintain situational awareness.

But in this case, my thoughts go to 1) how do I know that I'm not being given counterfeit money in exchange for my dollars and 2) how do I know that Guido isn't going to simply punch me in the head, take my dollars, and send me on my way?

So far, the potential savings just haven't motivated me to take that risk.

I'd love to see a more in-depth "tutorial" on how to do this safely, but mostly the talk on here is just "go trade your USD for Blue Dollars at Calle Florida" but with little details or specific guidance on how to do it safely and not get taken.

Regards
with regard to your questions, 1) the largest note seems to be 1000, which has a distinctive metal weave. I had similar doubts about recognizing fakes, but was reassured that the concierge wouldn't have recommended someone to me if they were unreliable. Also after swapping cash, I noticed the change lady went to the concierge, and looked like his little "thank you" got handed across. So all we're happy. Not had any problems with the notes I got. Can't answer on your qu 2) as we didn't need to change any more. Have walked along Florida in daytime and it's not a particularly scary street, but if someone sees you popping in and out of cambios then they could easily/quickly deduce you are carrying $$.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:08 am

The community of cuevas would be wiped out if they gained a reputation of passing bad bills! Iíd be more concerned about the taxistas!
loosehead likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Radisson Gold
I would echo the suggestions above as to a good recommendation for a changer in the vicinity of your hotel. In my case, I inquired at the front desk and they recommended a very nice, official-looking place just a block away. It was clean, very well-secured and the exchange seemed very professional. I've also done the "backroom jewelry store" exchange in the past and that was perfectly fine as well.

Occasionally, I've had to "top off" and in those circumstances I've been fine with changing just a single $100USD in a local cambio shop.

The other thing we've done on trips is simply ask at restaurants/shops if we can pay in USD. In most cases, they've been fine with that and usually respond that the change will be in ARS (which is what I wanted anyways) and quoted the rate (usually something less than the full Blue rate, but significantly more than the official rate). This was actually pretty helpful and I'm not usually trying to eke out the last penny on the exchange.
MSPeconomist and loosehead like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
The community of cuevas would be wiped out if they gained a reputation of passing bad bills! Iíd be more concerned about the taxistas!
Until the government decides that inflation might just be real and is more concerned about printing larger bills instead of killing the animals on the bills it currently circulates, then the worst that a taxista can currently screw you by is under US$5 and decreasing daily.
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:44 am

Interesting Article from Buenos Aires Times

Interesting Article from Buenos Aires Times. (Bloomberg)
Analysts see a potential +300 Blue Rate later in the year.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/econ...aluation.phtml

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 30, 22 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 30, 22, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainflyer View Post
Time to visit Argentina, as Gaucho 100K and others recommend!
Has to be said prices don't just stand still. When the blue rate rises the prices for everything rise as well. Been that way since I came to live here15 years ago.
GUWonder and MSPeconomist like this.

Search this Thread