Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Oct 31, 21, 3:51 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Posts: 1,311
I'm not strictly concerned with overall costs while visiting Argentina (in January, knock wood), but I am wondering how I should approach my strategy for using cash or credit cards in-country. How might I think about this? Bring USD in or use ATM? Use USD or convert to ARS? Where? How much? Thoughts appreciated.
CLEguy is offline  
Old Oct 31, 21, 6:53 pm
  #32  
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: MIA / EZE
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 35,314
No credit cards for the forseeable future.... they are widely accepted, but the exchange rate will not be good. There are talks about a special virtual bank account for tourists that needs to be funded with wired funds... but still havent seen the fine print and all the details. This system will probably give visitors a better exchange rate, but the system may not be for everybody due to the hassles etc. Best bet it to come down with USD Cash (in very good condition) and get the best exchange rate.

I will post more details as available.....
HIDDY likes this.
Gaucho100K is offline  
Old Oct 31, 21, 9:42 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,362
Current Blue Rate for reference

193,50
Compra
197,50
Venta
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:25 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 625
Come down with some cash and use the services of Western Union to top up as you need

Credit cards from outside the country use the official rate which is not good for the user

ATMs also use the official rate apart from the crazy charges - ok , I know some people get charges refunded but the rates are only good for the government.

The talk in the street is that the special virtual bank account mentioned by Gaucho100K will exchange at 180 to the dollar - But as he says the detail is nowhere to be seen and likely to be a hassle if you are on a 2 week vacation.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:29 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,362
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Come down with some cash and use the services of Western Union to top up as you need

Credit cards from outside the country use the official rate which is not good for the user

ATMs also use the official rate apart from the crazy charges - ok , I know some people get charges refunded but the rates are only good for the government.

The talk in the street is that the special virtual bank account mentioned by Gaucho100K will exchange at 180 to the dollar - But as he says the detail is nowhere to be seen and likely to be a hassle if you are on a 2 week vacation.
Western Union works incredibly well. You could even use your credit card in the US to pay for the transaction. Friends of mine send money to their family monthly. No hassle for pick up or anything as it goes directly into the Argentine bank account of the beneficiary .Rates pretty much mimics the Blue Rate

If you send it for pick up at a western union location in Buenos Aires you just have to make sure that they have available cash on hand.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 1, 21 at 10:15 am
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:35 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Posts: 1,311
This all sounds like an incredible hassle! This trip is going to be fun but enormously annoying.
CLEguy is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 9:47 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,362
Originally Posted by CLEguy View Post
This all sounds like an incredible hassle! This trip is going to be fun but enormously annoying.
Not at all annoying. Itll actually be a fun experience. People on the board are going to direct you to a spot or two where you can cash crisp $100 bills into the Blue Rate. Keep in mind the Blue Rate gives you about 100% more buying power over the national rate
happychic likes this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Nov 1, 21 at 10:12 am
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Nov 1, 21, 10:14 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 625
Just checked on the WU site a few moments ago - They are paying out at 202 today.

The only thing is that it seems that US residents are paying higher fees than Europeans.

Why?

Not sure..

Talking to a financial friend to see if he can explain why WU are paying above 200.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by malagajohn; Nov 1, 21 at 10:22 am
malagajohn is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 11:09 am
  #39  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Just checked on the WU site a few moments ago - They are paying out at 202 today.

The only thing is that it seems that US residents are paying higher fees than Europeans.

Why?

Not sure..

Talking to a financial friend to see if he can explain why WU are paying above 200.
WU probably has cash in Argentina that is fairly worthless and unable to get out of the country in any meaningful manner. The cash that "we" pay for our AR$ never enters Argentina.

And that is my speculation.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 12:40 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Posts: 1,311
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Not at all annoying. Itll actually be a fun experience. People on the board are going to direct you to a spot or two where you can cash crisp $100 bills into the Blue Rate. Keep in mind the Blue Rate gives you about 100% more buying power over the national rate
Ha, I hope so. I'd love to know some spots in BA or Mendoza (near the PH in each) where one might do that.

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
Just checked on the WU site a few moments ago - They are paying out at 202 today.

The only thing is that it seems that US residents are paying higher fees than Europeans.

Why?

Not sure..

Talking to a financial friend to see if he can explain why WU are paying above 200.
WU site just now shows 207...

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
WU probably has cash in Argentina that is fairly worthless and unable to get out of the country in any meaningful manner. The cash that "we" pay for our AR$ never enters Argentina.

And that is my speculation.
What is "the cash that 'we' pay" in this context?
CLEguy is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 1:02 pm
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by CLEguy View Post


What is "the cash that 'we' pay" in this context?
This is what we pay WU for our AR$ - we have no idea where that money is going, but I'd expect it not to go to Argentina, ever.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 1:49 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 625
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
WU probably has cash in Argentina that is fairly worthless and unable to get out of the country in any meaningful manner. The cash that "we" pay for our AR$ never enters Argentina.

And that is my speculation.
Thats what I was thinking.

But surely they would put a limit on it at some point?
malagajohn is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 4:30 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: EZE
Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,270
Originally Posted by CLEguy View Post
Ha, I hope so. I'd love to know some spots in BA or Mendoza (near the PH in each) where one might do that.



WU site just now shows 207...



What is "the cash that 'we' pay" in this context?
A little off topic but the PH in Mendoza reeked of smoke in certain areas of the hallway as this hotel is attached to a casino. Something to bear in mind.
Brandinho1 is offline  
Old Nov 1, 21, 5:43 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,362
Many locations for changing in Buenos Aires. Somewhat lesser options in MDZ

Closer to your date of travel feel free to PM me
CLEguy likes this.
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Nov 1, 21, 7:13 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,382
Originally Posted by Brandinho1 View Post
A little off topic but the PH in Mendoza reeked of smoke in certain areas of the hallway as this hotel is attached to a casino. Something to bear in mind.
A lot off topic, unless the smoke was really coming from a cueva!
Flying Machine likes this.
Eastbay1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread