Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Mar 9, 22, 4:54 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 608
The blue rate is between 195 and 200 per USD right now. It was as high as 220 a month or so back but the deal with the IMF seems to have reduced pressure on the peso.

Western Union is probably the best way to send yourself cash at the moment.
Flying Machine likes this.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Mar 11, 22, 2:06 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 159
Western Union rate today was 192 as I just sent myself money in Argentina. I received 200 yesterday at a cambio (using all the USD cash I had on hand). The Western Union experience is easy (now that I have gone through it once) and the option for WU to take the money from your bank account was also very easy (sign in to your bank with your bank login / pw, on the WU system, and then one text verification from your bank). WU systems in Arg were 'down' today so I had to go a few times to collect the money as I waited for the systems to come back up, and had to find the location that keeps large amounts of money, but overall WU was a favorable experience.
Flying Machine likes this.
detony is offline  
Old Mar 11, 22, 2:36 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,204
Originally Posted by detony View Post
Western Union rate today was 192 as I just sent myself money in Argentina. I received 200 yesterday at a cambio (using all the USD cash I had on hand). The Western Union experience is easy (now that I have gone through it once) and the option for WU to take the money from your bank account was also very easy (sign in to your bank with your bank login / pw, on the WU system, and then one text verification from your bank). WU systems in Arg were 'down' today so I had to go a few times to collect the money as I waited for the systems to come back up, and had to find the location that keeps large amounts of money, but overall WU was a favorable experience.
was it difficult to find a location with adequate cash on hand?
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Mar 12, 22, 4:17 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Full time Nomad
Posts: 750
In BA now

We are in Buenos Aires now, and husband went the other day. He had to go to the one on Montevideo and Cordoba to get a large amount. He got there right before 9 am. Brought his book with him. Maybe 10 in line before him.

We are having a great time here. Initially, we were going to stay one month in BA, and then move on, but I just booked our next 2 months here in BA, and will do side trips to Bariloche, Iguazu. Weather spectacular, food is great. Walking 6-8 miles per day. Parks are great, people fantastic.

Last edited by stan1162; Mar 12, 22 at 4:55 am
stan1162 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 22, 2:35 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Not at all annoying. Itíll actually be a fun experience. People on the board are going to direct you to a spot or two where you can cash crisp $100 bills into the Blue Rate. Keep in mind the Blue Rate gives you about 100% more buying power over the national rate
Headed to BA next week and these threads have been invaluable in preparing for our trip! Would any locals be able to send me a PM with some safe spots to exchange money at the blue rate? Will be staying in Palermo Hollywood. Thanks!
Flying Machine likes this.
leadhead is offline  
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:39 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Sending dollars to Argentina

Iíve seen some comments about sending money through Western Union but not a full explanation. My goal is to send money to a friend in Argentina through Western Union. Is this possible? I only want to do this if he can get close to the blue dollar rate or US dollars. Can somebody give me an explanation. Feel free to DM if necessary. Thank you in advance
PSPandBA is offline  
Old Jun 18, 22, 10:49 am
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,122
Originally Posted by PSPandBA View Post
Iíve seen some comments about sending money through Western Union but not a full explanation. My goal is to send money to a friend in Argentina through Western Union. Is this possible? I only want to do this if he can get close to the blue dollar rate or US dollars. Can somebody give me an explanation. Feel free to DM if necessary. Thank you in advance
It is as simple as going to the WU website, checking out the various transfer options, and comparing to the Blue rate - and verifying with your friend the best method for friend to pick up the $.
Flying Machine likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Jun 18, 22, 12:18 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by PSPandBA View Post
Iíve seen some comments about sending money through Western Union but not a full explanation. My goal is to send money to a friend in Argentina through Western Union. Is this possible? I only want to do this if he can get close to the blue dollar rate or US dollars. Can somebody give me an explanation. Feel free to DM if necessary. Thank you in advance
The WU is normally between the Blue rate and the Ccl rate. If you are sending ex USA , look out for discount codes that will lower your fees.
Flying Machine and Brandinho1 like this.
malagajohn is offline  
Old Jun 18, 22, 12:22 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,204
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
The WU is normally between the Blue rate and the Ccl rate. If you are sending ex USA , look out for discount codes that will lower your fees.
Where would one look for discount codes? I never knew
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:33 am
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 15,286
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Where would one look for discount codes? I never knew

The big discount is the no-fees-on-first-transaction one.

I haven't seen any others.
Flying Machine likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:40 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 103
Thanks
PSPandBA is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:29 am
  #72  
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,684
Deleted-
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Jun 23, 22 at 1:57 pm
TravelerMSY is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:19 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,204
Deleted

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 23, 22 at 2:45 pm
Flying Machine is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:36 pm
  #74  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 35,122
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Iím not sure we want to turn the site into an Arbolito

Is this permissible under the rules of Flyertalk? FX exchange?
Once upon a time, $15500 would have been a cueva quantity, not a mere arbolito transaction. That said, such a transaction here might violate the laws of at least one or possibly two countries. Or maybe not.
Flying Machine likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:47 pm
  #75  
Used to be 'Travelergcp'
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,684
I’m happy to delete it if it’s not, but a $70 transaction as a favor to a trusted flyertalker is hardly a big deal IMO. Otherwise I’ll just keep it.

It’s enough for a taxi and a little something to eat the first day without changing money,
TravelerMSY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread