Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Currency Controls

Currency Controls

Old Sep 10, 22, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA Plat., Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platnium
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer View Post
Traveling to Buenos Aires in a couple of weeks - never been before. I had read that the country was going to create an "official" way for tourists to transfer $$ at closer to the blue rate. Does anyone here know if that ever occurred (reading the posts above, I think not, but thought I'd ask to be sure)? If not, what's the recommended way to find a reputable exchange - preferably near Plaza de Mayo, as we're staying at the InterContinental.
I just got back from Buenos Aires a week ago. Western Union was king, providing the blue rate (it went from 291 pesos to the $ to almost 300/ dollar in one week). Just know that the biggest bill that Argentina mints is 1,000 peso notes, (equivalent to around $3.33) so you're going to be carrying a LOT of cash. I transferred $400 total and lived like a king for a week. The biggest meal my buddy and I went all out on was at Don Julio where we spent about $50 US per person, when something comparable to the US would probably have cost $200-$250 a person.

Simply transfer money to an Argentina western union, get there when they open (they will run out of cash, even with the pallets of cash they cycle in every day) and prepare to carry a backpack or something to carry the sheer bricks of bills you'll have. Have fun! It was a blast and even with their highly unstable economic situation (prices changing daily sometimes), it was a fabulous trip.
Old Sep 11, 22, 6:38 am

Thanks for the info ghsbass0406. I haven't transferred/converted money using WU previously, but it looks relatively simple - and feels like a much more "safe" option than exchanging at a random place on Florida street.
Old Sep 11, 22, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer View Post
Thanks for the info ghsbass0406. I haven't transferred/converted money using WU previously, but it looks relatively simple - and feels like a much more "safe" option than exchanging at a random place on Florida street.
Check for Argentina holidays before you 100% plan on this - there are more than you might think, delaying by up to a couple of days when you think you'll be able to access your money. Note that your hotel concierge may have an excellent recommendation, one s/he probably uses him/herself.

Also, as a side note, and not wanting to go off on too much of a tangent, at night, on foot don't wander right around your hotel on the smaller streets. For N/S, use 9 de Julio, and for E/W use Belgrano or Av. de Mayo. Taxis are fine, and I suggest you install Cabify - there's a cash option but you'll know your fare in advance and can get locations / addresses in so nothing is lost in translation (and make sure you don't rely on the GPS, but actually go in front of a building and type in the address, or type in a business name).
Old Sep 13, 22, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
We spent USA's Labor Day weekend in BA and while we had a great time, we had A LOT of trouble getting cash through WU. Every spot we tried (7 locations, two days in a row) was out of cash or closed. The most reliable way we found to exchange cash was taking a hit on the rate at our hotel (Anselmo in San Telmo), which offered us 260 (when WU was offering 290).
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:09 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
WU and weekends can be difficult.
I try and get my XCHANGE business done by Friday midday.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 13, 22, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by silly_stitcher View Post
We spent USA's Labor Day weekend in BA and while we had a great time, we had A LOT of trouble getting cash through WU. Every spot we tried (7 locations, two days in a row) was out of cash or closed. The most reliable way we found to exchange cash was taking a hit on the rate at our hotel (Anselmo in San Telmo), which offered us 260 (when WU was offering 290).
I got 280 on the Friday before labor day, and 260 on Labor Day, at Cambio Posadas near the Park Hyatt. Got lucky on Friday morning as there was no line when we went in, but 5-6 people waiting when I came out. Monday was closer to 1pm and waited 20-25 minutes.

I poked around the WU site to get an idea of fees for future reference -- it seemed like there is no fee if you fund from a debit or credit card? In that case does it post as a charge or a cash advance? Overheard someone in the hotel lobby saying they got 295 from WU.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; NEXUS
270 in Mendoza today near the McDonalds.

I probably could have done a little better, but at these rates, who cares about a couple pesos here and there. Having an incredible time here so far.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:04 pm

The best you will get for cash today is 280/281

The CCL closed at 312 but that is hard to get unless you are changing a pile of cash with professionals

WU was paying 299 earlier this pm but someone mentioned to me that their discount codes are not working, so you have to take into account their fees.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:43 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
For those of us not (yet) in Buenos Aires: You do realize, don't you, that your holiday just got about 20% more expensive since Sergio Massa started to work his magic. El dlar blue dropped for 330 to 270 pesos. I very much doubt that BA prices dropped at all.
On a side note, the dlar blue did not move at all after the assassination attempt on CFK. In many other countries, the bottom would have dropped out of both the stock and the currency markets. Perhaps porteos have seen it all and no longer blink at this sort of thing.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:23 am

To be honest , the move up to 330 was seen by many as pure speculation .

The general feeling is that the "true" value is around 290/300

That of course is the true value until the next round of speculation......

Last edited by malagajohn; Sep 23, 22 at 5:30 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by spainflyer View Post
For those of us not (yet) in Buenos Aires: You do realize, don't you, that your holiday just got about 20% more expensive since Sergio Massa started to work his magic. El dlar blue dropped for 330 to 270 pesos. I very much doubt that BA prices dropped at all.
On a side note, the dlar blue did not move at all after the assassination attempt on CFK. In many other countries, the bottom would have dropped out of both the stock and the currency markets. Perhaps porteos have seen it all and no longer blink at this sort of thing.
20% more expensive is still relatively dirt cheap. And the "over 300" days could be measured in a few days, as I recall.
Gaucho100K and Flying Machine like this.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
20% more expensive is still relatively dirt cheap. And the "over 300" days could be measured in a few days, as I recall.
Argentina is indeed a very good value, even if the Blue rate is not near its historic highs. Im somewhat uncomfortable with the term dirt-cheap, but then this may be just me.
Old Sep 28, 22, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
270 in Mendoza today near the McDonalds.

I probably could have done a little better, but at these rates, who cares about a couple pesos here and there. Having an incredible time here so far.
The above is the PERFECT attitude.... have a good time, enjoy the great values and dont worry about the last 10 or 20 pesos per Dollar in the exchange rate. Its better to make a trade at a safe location and get paid 10 pesos less per Dollar than risk getting mugged and lose all your money in a few seconds.
HIDDY, MSPeconomist and Zorak like this.

Search this Thread