Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-tickets are here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dan1431
My Uncle had to fight with an ACELA FC attendant today who insisted that the only form of ticket was the standard AMTRAK ticket and his iPHONE is not an acceptable form of ticket.

She said that once the train pulled away from NYP and if he did not have a proper ticket, the police would be called and he would be thrown off the train at the next station. He said, please call the police and or the conductor and I am sure that either will be more than happy with my iPHONE e-ticket.

The FC attendant apparently was not convinced and had my Uncle wait in the galley/vestibule till the Conductor passed through (somewhere between NYP and Seacacus Junction) and examine his iPhone ticket. The conductor said that iPHONE tickets are now a perfectly acceptable form of ticket and she should accept them as she would accept a paper ticket.

My uncle said that than the the FC attendant asked if she was supposed take a PAX's phone and place that in the headrest area until he (the conductor) is able to inspect them? Are people really that stupid?

According to my Uncle the attendant did apologize and really did look after him for the rest of his journey to WAS, including going to the Cafe car to get him a bag of UTZ chips and a box of cookies when he go hungry later on.

I agree AMTRAK needs to train their employees better.

Dan
Threatening to call the police? She should be fired.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Threatening to call the police? She should be fired.
Not at all. Her supervisor should be for not getting her trained before being put in front of customers. She was just doing what she had been (poorly) trained to do.

I do believe the policy is to call authorities for stow-aways.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:55 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by ralfp
(re: AirTrain @ EWR)

That's what I expect. I'll report back after I get there tomorrow evening.
No problems at EWR. The guy at the gate made some comment about being unfamiliar with the new system, but gave me no problems at all.

I wonder what happens when a conductor tries to check a ticket after passing NYP. IIRC iOS app no longer displays the QR code once the ticket has been scanned.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Second boarding didn't go as smooth as the first. After the first boarding was so seamless, I didn't bother to print my tix this time, and by the time the conductor got around to scanning, it was 10 minutes past ticket date, and the ticket had "fallen off" the iphone app... Or is there a 7 ticket display limit (because I had 8 under reservation, and this was the first of 8).

So long story short, I had to log into my email, search through to find the reservation, and pull it up that way... not exactly convenient...

And btw, this was on an unreserved keystone... so if the ticket does in fact "fall off" after ticket time, I can't imagine how unreserved riders will cope...

AGR Insider - can you give us any indication if this is a ticket timing issue or an app display issue (with 7 reservation display limitation).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:51 pm

Well in sort of a reverse-e-ticket problem, the conductor scanned one of my last few *paper* tickets (Keystone PAO -> PHL) and on the scanner a big warning message: "The ticket has not been loaded and may not be valid on this train!!!".

I can't wait for the fun later this week when I start using my first Keystone unreserved e-Tickets in non-sequential segment orders.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:42 am

Update:
So I was previously only looking at the main page for my reservations, but I found there is now a "my trips" function on the iPhone app which lists out all reservations, including recent past trips... It appears this is a way around trips "falling off" the main page... you can simply go back and look them up here (e.g. if you are using a keystone unreserved that was purchased for a previous day that is no longer showing on your home screen).

Juggler - I can't wait to hear your experience using out of sequence keystones reservations.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
I'm currently on my third ride since the new system came in. All three times, I've used my iPhone to present the bar code. Two times out of three, the conductor's scanner couldn't read it, and they ended up just typing in my reservation number to confirm my details. Not a great showing so far, although I haven't had any trouble proving that I have a ticket. Really though, if all you need is the reservation number, why bother with the bar code at all?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I'm currently on my third ride since the new system came in. All three times, I've used my iPhone to present the bar code. Two times out of three, the conductor's scanner couldn't read it, and they ended up just typing in my reservation number to confirm my details. Not a great showing so far, although I haven't had any trouble proving that I have a ticket. Really though, if all you need is the reservation number, why bother with the bar code at all?
Because it's (in theory) faster to scan a code than to read and type in an alphanumeric string.

I used eTicketing for the first time this weekend, and there were no problems scanning my phone all three times. But I did overhear a conductor yesterday mentioning issues scanning phones.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:22 am

E-tickets are here!

Any update on Septa honoring the e tix from 30th to Suburban?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I have traveled twice, both times using the PDF on my Android phone. It scanned immediately both times. Saturday, the passengers behind me had an eTicket printed by an agent. The conductor was moving the scanner all around trying to get a good read. Only took 5-6 seconds, but that was still five times slower than my barcode.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Well, I'm now on train #4 and this one scanned OK. So I am batting .500 with the iPhone. I hope the success rate improves!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:35 pm

I travel on a monthly through 30th Street, but a Amtrak seat mate who was also going downtown was told by the SEPTA information desk that an e-ticket was acceptable. It turns out that neither of our tickets were checked on the short ride into Center City. In fact, based on my 2-weeks of almost daily riding, I can say tickets are very rarely checked on trains between 30th St and Market East stations.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 1:31 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by 21A
Speaking of connections to airports, I wonder if the kiosks will be issuing Continental (err, sorry, United) codeshare segments as Amtrak e-tickets now.
Discovered today that UA code share segments do print as e-tickets. (You can even get the PDF sent to you if you call and ask; I don't have an iPhone so I couldn't try the app route but seems likely that works, too.)

One point to note is that you can only use the lookup by UA flight number the first time; after that, you have to use the Amtrak PNR to reprint.

Last edited by 21A; Aug 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:00 am

I'm still consistently having trouble with the scanner (ironically an iPhone) lifting the barcode from my iPhone using the App... when I use the PDF and blow it up, it works fine.

This is a 4gs phone in question.

I'm about 1 for 8 in getting scans to work on the app... anyone else having trouble?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
I'm still consistently having trouble with the scanner (ironically an iPhone) lifting the barcode from my iPhone using the App... when I use the PDF and blow it up, it works fine.

This is a 4gs phone in question.

I'm about 1 for 8 in getting scans to work on the app... anyone else having trouble?
I am, at least on my one and only try. Couldn't get it to read a couple of days ago on a Regional EWR-PHL, even with the brightness turned all the way up (iPhone 4). Ultimately, the conductor just typed the code in.

I printed the boarding document out at PHL and used that for my connecting Keystone train.

For today's Pennsylvanian to PGH, I had the conductor scan it off of the PDF on my laptop screen. Absolutely no issue there. Good to know the QR code on the PDF scans on the iPhone screen when blown up, too. (I wonder if a screenshot of the Amtrak iPhone app slightly zoomed in to blow the QR code would work in a pinch, too.)

Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Second boarding didn't go as smooth as the first. After the first boarding was so seamless, I didn't bother to print my tix this time, and by the time the conductor got around to scanning, it was 10 minutes past ticket date, and the ticket had "fallen off" the iphone app... Or is there a 7 ticket display limit (because I had 8 under reservation, and this was the first of 8).

So long story short, I had to log into my email, search through to find the reservation, and pull it up that way... not exactly convenient...

And btw, this was on an unreserved keystone... so if the ticket does in fact "fall off" after ticket time, I can't imagine how unreserved riders will cope...

AGR Insider - can you give us any indication if this is a ticket timing issue or an app display issue (with 7 reservation display limitation).
I discovered something similar today. I had booked a multi-city trip with a couple of unreserved Keystone segments connecting to a reserved Pennsylvanian segment (booked before e-ticketing came online). I ultimately opted to drive to HAR and pick up the train there rather than taking (as I had reserved) a Keystone to HAR and having a 2.5-hour layover to connect to the Pennsylvanian. When I showed up at HAR, the trip didn't display in the iPhone app. I then tried the QT machine, and it said the ticket wasn't available at a kiosk. Fortunately, I had clicked the "Send PDF" button in my reservation the day prior, so I checked with the agent and he said just to show that on my phone and that's all I needed. (I ended up showing it on my computer screen as noted above--figured the matte would read better than the glossy.)

Since I deal with a lot of unreserved Keystone segments (including segments booked on a multi-city reservation that are not all always used the same day), I'll need to be sure to organize the PDFs and keep track of which PDFs I've used and for which segments. It's going to be a bit difficult. Amtrak's reservation system has always made it seem like unreserved segments were something bolted on (the fact they disappeared from the website and couldn't be accessed, changed, or canceled after the "reserved" date of travel), but it was easy to deal with them just by printing the paper ticket and keeping a file of them. Now, the new system makes the whole unreserved thing really apparent and a real mess. It's probably asking too much of Amtrak to rebuild the system to better accommodate unreserved segments, but it would be nice to ensure this is on the long-term roadmap.

Also, is there word on whether the conductor's scanner will lift the correct segment of a multi-city reservation, especially if the cities are in close succession? In other words, does the scanner have a pretty accurate GPS that knows it is 0.5 miles west of the PAO station and to thus lift only the PAO-EXT segment and not the PHL-PAO segment or the EXT-LNC segment?

Last edited by jackal; Aug 23, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.