Wiki Posts
Search

E-tickets are here!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
E-tickets are here!

Sometime between 9:02 AM EDT today (when I booked an Amtrak ticket WIL-NYP) and 9:37 AM (when my colleague booked hers), Amtrak's website added a new ticket delivery option: "eTicket sent to e-mail." This is now the default option, with "At station from Quik-Trak" and "At station from ticket agent" also available but not the default choice. My colleague now has a PDF file with a QR code that she is to print out and present as her ticket--just like an airline e-ticket. Even though you now have a paper ticket in hand, changes are still possible if you call, apparently--I presume that the conductor will see the updated itinerary upon scanning the QR code even if you get on a different train than the one your printout says.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Correct, any changes to your itinerary made in person or by phone will be reflected on the conductor's iPhone, unless maybe you made the change 2 minutes before boarding and the train was in an area with no cellular data to allow the conductor's phone to know about the changes.

You'll also only get one QR code per reservation, without regard to how many segments your reservation may have nor how many people are on said reservation.

And if you now try to board an earlier train than the one you're supposed to be on, the conductor's iPhone will inform him that you are on the wrong train. I'm not sure what, if any, latitude the conductor has to override things and allow you to remain on the train.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:37 am

I just booked online and didnt see any option - probably just clicking too fast - so I was shocked when the screen said I would get an e-ticket.

The e-mail came, and when i logged into the iPhone app and pulled up the reservation, there was the QR code, meaning I dont need the e-ticket printout at all; the iPhone does it all.

This is going to be madness in the first class car with no tickets for the staff to check...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
E-tickets are here!

Looks like I'll have to wait till sometime this Fall before I'll no longer have to get paper tickets for my most frequent itineraries, involving Thruway buses to/from San Francisco. Only a handful of CA Thruway routes are eTicketing-enabled as of today.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Select
Does anyone know what the impact of e-ticketing might be for boarding a train late? I am specifically thinking of those who book tickets from RTE/BBY/BOS and board in PVD on the acela for the select city pair points (500 BC, 750 FC).

I don't want to get on the train in PVD and find out my tickets have been cancelled.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:50 am

A few comments - looks like it is available for trips starting Wednesday (8/1), as it was not an option for my trip tomorrow. That means for my return on Wednesday I get to experience this on the first day - should be interesting.

The refund policies are very confusing. When I look online it appears that if I cancel the e-ticket reservation now I will get a full refund for the ticket (including the accomodation charges) to my American Express. This is not consistent with the information on the website which seems to say that once an e-ticket is issued you can only get a refund to a e-voucher, or a refund to your credit card less the 10% penalty.

It would be nice if the practice matched the explanation (or better yet, the explanation is revised to match what appears to be the practice). That takes me to the absurbdity of the e-vocuher which cannot be electronically redeemed and you must go to the ticket counter to use it.

I did note that it says if you dont board a train you reservation will be cancelled. I cant imagine they would do that on a Boston departure before the train reaches Providence. There are plenty of occassions where my ticket is never checked until well beyond Providence.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
About a minute ago I got the announcement e-mail from Amtrak:

Originally Posted by Amtrak
Print your ticket ahead of time with Amtrak eTicketing

Amtrak® is now offering eTicketing on all routes to make your next one-way or round-trip travel even more convenient. With eTicketing you can print your ticket anywhere, anytime before your trip. Once you get to the station, with your eTicket in hand, you can skip the ticketing line and board your train without having to wait. For added convenience, your eTicket can be displayed for free via the iPhone app or as a PDF depending on your mobile device.

Your conventional paper value ticket is still valid. Just present it to the conductor on the train. Remember to keep the ticket safe because it has travel value and may have refund or exchange value.

Please note, paper value tickets will still be issued for the following:

• Multi-ride tickets (such as a monthly or 10-ride ticket)
• Travel agency or corporate travel office tickets
• Tickets purchased onboard
• Group tickets
• Reservations made prior to July 30, 2012

Easy, convenient and safe, eTicketing simplifies your travel. So book your next trip today. Wherever you go, your ticket can follow.

Don’t forget to include your Amtrak Guest Rewards® member number when making your reservation.

Learn More
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
LOL - how funny!

I just booked my first Acela ticket this morning, for travel on Wednesday.

Got the eTicket link, and printed it out. Very convenient! Didn't think it was anything new, just SOP.

Very cool - looking forward to my first Acela First Class ride... Have a meeting in Boston on Wednesday, so I'm doing a turn-n-burn NYP-RTE, and I'd much rather do it via train than driving (or flying!)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AlanB
And if you now try to board an earlier train than the one you're supposed to be on, the conductor's iPhone will inform him that you are on the wrong train. I'm not sure what, if any, latitude the conductor has to override things and allow you to remain on the train.
Alan,
How does that work for an unreserved train, such as Keystones between Harrisburg and Philadelphia? I regularly buy a ticket for the last train of the day because I don't always know which train I will take. At least up until now, I could pick up the ticket at the QuikTrak and use it on any Keystone I wanted for that day (a trick I learned on FlyerTalk!).

Will the E-tickets effectively make the unreserved trains reserved?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DivMiler
Alan,
How does that work for an unreserved train, such as Keystones between Harrisburg and Philadelphia? I regularly buy a ticket for the last train of the day because I don't always know which train I will take. At least up until now, I could pick up the ticket at the QuikTrak and use it on any Keystone I wanted for that day (a trick I learned on FlyerTalk!).

Will the E-tickets effectively make the unreserved trains reserved?
• Unreserved Service (Capitol Corridor, Pacific Surfliner, Hiawatha,
Keystone between Harrisburg and Philadelphia): eTickets for coach
seats on unreserved trains may be used on any unreserved train on
the same route within one year of purchase, unless restricted by
the fare paid. Pacific Surfliner and Keystone trains require
reservations during Thanksgiving.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Cool. Thanks, nerd!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:46 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Are tickets purchased before the changeover (but not printed yet) able to be printed as e-tickets now, or do they still need to be printed as conventional tickets?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: AGR Select Executive, Delta SkyMiles Gold Medalion
eTicket on Acela

The CA agent and I did a double take when the ticket came out this morning for my trip. I"m a weekly NYP -> WAS round tripper and the differences in the layout of the ticket itself are quite visible most importantly the "RETAIN DURING TRIP" prominently featured. I'm on the 6am so traffic is light but it def slowed the conductor down. I'm on 2126 which is more crowded on the way home tomorrow so I'll be curious to see how that goes. This may have already been asked in one of the other threads on the toic so I apologize but: If i have an eticket and I process an upgrade can I proceded directly to first class or does the bar code change?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Are tickets purchased before the changeover (but not printed yet) able to be printed as e-tickets now, or do they still need to be printed as conventional tickets?
As long as it does not include a bus segment (most are not set-up for scanning), you can get an e-ticket. If you open your reservation on Amtrak.com (assuming you made it on-line), there should be an option to send an e-ticket PDF.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
rdorman,

The bar code does not change, not matter what changes you make. The only way to get a different bar code is to cancel outright and start over.

The one thing that I'm not sure of, although presumably the CA agent can also scan the QR Code, is how the agent will know you did an upgrade and to grant you access to the lounge, since the paperwork would still say BC on it. Even if they can't scan the QR code, they should still be able to look up the reservation, but that is of course more work for them which some may not like.

It's also going to be an interesting exercise for the FC crew in the car, as many like to check to make sure that you actually belong in that car and they will have no way to know that you processed an upgrade. Only the conductor will know that; so I would not be surprised to see a slight increase in people being kicked out of FC because they have the wrong ticket as it were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.