Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-tickets are here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by amamba
Did you buy those tickets with a voucher or some other way than just your credit card online?

I only ask that because I have a QR code for some of my reservations, but the one reservation that I bought with a voucher has the same thing where it says "paper ticket required" in the app where the QR code is for my other e-tickets.
A couple were award tickets, but others were not.

Have now boarded an earlier train today after changing reservation on iPhone. Only printout is for the original train. I used the mez strategy at NYP, and am waiting for fc crew to flip out when they inspect my eticket receipt...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
I bought a ticket last week using qwiktrak delivery for travel today... I looked at the reservation on my iPhone, and voila, it is now an e-ticket.

I will try using the phone at NYP today, but have printed the pdf as a backup... will report results.
I recall reading that deep down in Arrow, all reservations have been built as eTickets for quite a while. It makes sense now that the front-end for eTickets is enabled, all qualifying reservations not printed to paper can be used as an eTicket.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
I recall reading that deep down in Arrow, all reservations have been built as eTickets for quite a while. It makes sense now that the front-end for eTickets is enabled, all qualifying reservations not printed to paper can be used as an eTicket.
Report:

I was about the 5th in the queue for the checker at NYP. Had the QR code ready on my iPhone via the iPhone AMTK app. Took the checker 5 seconds to realize i didn't have a paper ticket, and then sort of flustered said uhhhh, looked at the phone, and then waived me on my way. I have to give her credit... it only took about 15 second (10 seconds or so longer than paper)... not bad for the first day.

And the train details aren't real clear on the phone presentation... checker has to look at the very top for origin confirmation, and then the very bottom for train number to confirm... and this is assuming that the user hasn't scrolled up, removing the train information... I would have thought they would put the train number at the header with the date/origin/destination.

On the train, the conductor was happy to see the code. She said she was actually having more issues with "travel document" scans (e.g. the doc now printed by qwiktrak). Apparently some of the printers need recalibrating to printer a proper bar code. My phone scanned in half a second and she was on her way.

Overall an A day for go live. Nicely done Amtrak.

Suggestions:
- reconfigure the phone app to make it easier on the checkers
- qwiktrak printer testing to make sure print outs are within tolerance limits for scanners
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
A couple were award tickets, but others were not.

Have now boarded an earlier train today after changing reservation on iPhone. Only printout is for the original train. I used the mez strategy at NYP, and am waiting for fc crew to flip out when they inspect my eticket receipt...
so how did it go?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:26 pm

No one said a word to me. The train was not very full, and I think everyone was scared to say a thing. I walked the car and noticed I was the only one with an eticket printed from home, although I saw plenty printed at the station.

The scan worked just fine. I asked the FC staff how they would handle a variety of situations and they just scratched their heads. Clearly zero training on this.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 4:47 pm

Hi all,

Heads up if you use the e-ticket on the SEPTA Regional to Center City to/from 30th St Station PHL. The SEPTA conductor gave two separate travelers with AMTRAK e-tickets a real hard time. He said they only accepted original paper tickets and that riding free for the 2 Center City stops was a courtesy to AMTRAK passengers. He said he had no way of verifying if the tickets were legitimate.

A fairly heated exchange developed and he was quite adamant about having to charge them $4. By the time it was over, we were at 30th Street and he let them off. I guess I'm glad I have a monthly, which is still traditional paper ticket. He used my ticket as an example of what he was looking for, but wouldn't listen when I explained that I'm the only one who still has to use those. Who knows what he would have done if they waved an iPhone at him?

I don't know how they're going to fix this short of giving people vouchers for SEPTA travel. Meanwhile, I suggest trying to print/cut/fold your e-ticket to look like a regular ticket. Might work if it looks more "normal."

Drew

Last edited by taxidrivernj; Aug 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Another passenger said e-tickets will not be issued if a passenger uses upgrade coupons. Not sure if that was accurate, but he seemed to be speaking from experience.
I applied a coupon over the phone and was sent an e-ticket, on which there is no indication that I need to turn in said coupon.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Round trip NYP-RTE in FC today ... Splendid. PDF eTicket worked great.

First time on Acela, won't be my last. Staff is incredibly awesome and makes sure to take the time to learn your name and preferences. Can't beat that.

Refreshing change of pace for this UA frequent flyer
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Round trip NYP-RTE in FC today ... Splendid. PDF eTicket worked great.

First time on Acela, won't be my last. Staff is incredibly awesome and makes sure to take the time to learn your name and preferences. Can't beat that.

Refreshing change of pace for this UA frequent flyer
Not trying to diminish your experience, but Acela F attendants can be hit or miss. My last pair disappeared after a very quick meal service.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Not trying to diminish your experience, but Acela F attendants can be hit or miss. My last pair disappeared after a very quick meal service.
Of course it can be - but I had the same person on both legs - her name is Mercer - and she's been AWESOME. can't ask for any better!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Not totally e-tickets yet, or still bugs in the system. I just booked a reserved Keystone for Thanksgiving and was presented with three delivery options: e-ticket, Quick Track, Agent. I chose Quick Track and received two copies of the "THIS IS NOT A TICKET" emails stating a PDF was attached with the code, neither had any attachment.

EDIT: 5 minutes later I received two more emails with the attachment, four emails for a single ticket. I like the layout of the ticket, looks very much like a Delta boarding pass.

Last edited by Exiled in Express; Aug 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm Reason: further email
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Not totally e-tickets yet, or still bugs in the system. I just booked a reserved Keystone for Thanksgiving and was presented with three delivery options: e-ticket, Quick Track, Agent. I chose Quick Track and received two copies of the "THIS IS NOT A TICKET" emails stating a PDF was attached with the code, neither had any attachment.
You first get an email telling you to expect another email with an attachment. Why not just one email?

And why can't you just get a pop-up window on the website that has a printable ticket?

Why the need for two extra steps? (Render the eticket as a PDF, then generate/send an email containing the PDF as an attachment?)
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nerd
You first get an email telling you to expect another email with an attachment. Why not just one email?
I misread the first email in haste to see how it was processed, mea culpa. I could understand two emails, one without the reservation code for reimbursement/sharing but neither one omitted the code.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:07 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by AlanB
Well since there is already someone there who has to check the regular style tickets to let Amtrak passengers through the gate, I suspect that they'll just check the eTicket in whatever form it is presented.
(re: AirTrain @ EWR)

That's what I expect. I'll report back after I get there tomorrow evening.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:37 pm

My Uncle had to fight with an ACELA FC attendant today who insisted that the only form of ticket was the standard AMTRAK ticket and his iPHONE is not an acceptable form of ticket.

She said that once the train pulled away from NYP and if he did not have a proper ticket, the police would be called and he would be thrown off the train at the next station. He said, please call the police and or the conductor and I am sure that either will be more than happy with my iPHONE e-ticket.

The FC attendant apparently was not convinced and had my Uncle wait in the galley/vestibule till the Conductor passed through (somewhere between NYP and Seacacus Junction) and examine his iPhone ticket. The conductor said that iPHONE tickets are now a perfectly acceptable form of ticket and she should accept them as she would accept a paper ticket.

My uncle said that than the the FC attendant asked if she was supposed take a PAX's phone and place that in the headrest area until he (the conductor) is able to inspect them? Are people really that stupid?

According to my Uncle the attendant did apologize and really did look after him for the rest of his journey to WAS, including going to the Cafe car to get him a bag of UTZ chips and a box of cookies when he go hungry later on.

I agree AMTRAK needs to train their employees better.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.