Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:15 am

Thanks for the tip, will give a try next week.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Is the Amex charge card limit 4 or 10? Reading 2 different things.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Where are you reading? The credit card limit was four, now seems to be five for most people. Not aware of a formal limit on charge cards.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by slickvik
Is the Amex charge card limit 4 or 10? Reading 2 different things.
The *CREDIT* card limit is 4 (5 for some people). The rumored new limit is for charge cards - which is 10, but that's a new rumor as of this week, so it'll likely take some time before there's a clear answer on that front.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by aviationwiz
The *CREDIT* card limit is 4 (5 for some people). The rumored new limit is for charge cards - which is 10, but that's a new rumor as of this week, so it'll likely take some time before there's a clear answer on that front.
Does Amex even have enough different charge card products that it's possible to end up with more than 10 of them? I guess maybe there are some random co-brand cards (like Schwab and formerly Mercedes) that I'm forgetting about but still...
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by aviationwiz
Yes, I've read the same (probably at the same place you did) and found it amusing that AMEX is "limiting" charge cards to "only" ten.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:32 pm

Doctor of Credit recently posted on this too. Charge card limit is now 10 per person. Looks like some people with big spends in certain categories will sign up for multiple cards (and not get SUB because not able to) because they max out on certain categories on one card. Paying the AF seems to be worth it for these individuals. AMEX seems to be allowing it.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by 247traveler
Doctor of Credit recently posted on this too. Charge card limit is now 10 per person. Looks like some people with big spends in certain categories will sign up for multiple cards (and not get SUB because not able to) because they max out on certain categories on one card. Paying the AF seems to be worth it for these individuals. AMEX seems to be allowing it.
There’s also members of the military that don’t pay annual fees who have multiples of each product as well.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:32 pm

AMEX 4 "lending product" limit?

I have personal Gold, Green, BCE and EveryDay card

a Hilton Honors Business Card

I tried to get an Amazon Business card today for my new business and was told I was at the maximum "lending product". Do they not differentiate between credit/charge at 4 max anymore? The recon line told me i'd need to cancel 2 cards to apply again.
Is this a recent change?
Old May 15, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by aupperk24
I have personal Gold, Green, BCE and EveryDay card

a Hilton Honors Business Card

I tried to get an Amazon Business card today for my new business and was told I was at the maximum "lending product". Do they not differentiate between credit/charge at 4 max anymore? The recon line told me i'd need to cancel 2 cards to apply again.
Is this a recent change?
Quite probably a misinformed rep. While there are other reports of people being told the same thing you were, there are also plenty of reports that refute this (i.e., people with more charge/credit cards than you that were auto-approved for a new card.)

Rep was probably not differentiating between charge and credit card products, the latter of which would be considered a "lending product."
Old May 15, 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Quite probably a misinformed rep. While there are other reports of people being told the same thing you were, there are also plenty of reports that refute this (i.e., people with more charge/credit cards than you that were auto-approved for a new card.)

Rep was probably not differentiating between charge and credit card products, the latter of which would be considered a "lending product."
The automated system denied me for having maximum number of cards. The rep clarified. Is it considering my green card a credit card?
Old May 15, 2020, 3:09 pm

The automated system denied me for having maximum number of cards. The rep clarified. Is it considering my green card a credit card?
Sounds as if it may be classifying your gold/green as "lending products".

Out of curiosity, do you have the "Pay Over Time" function enabled on any of your charge cards? I'm wondering if that may function as a de facto reclassification in the AMEX system to a "lending product."

Edit: Here's a link to several reports that both mirror and refute your experience (scroll down about 1/4 page.)

"I have five Amex credit cards and six Amex charge cards. I was just approved for the Schwab platinum yesterday while still holding a personal Platinum, personal Gold, Business Green, Plum, Cash Magnet, Hilton Aspire, Hilton Surpass, Blue Business Cash, Lowe’s and Corporate Green. I don’t believe it."

https://old.reddit.com/r/churning/co...d_may_15_2020/
Old May 15, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Sounds as if it may be classifying your gold/green as "lending products".

Out of curiosity, do you have the "Pay Over Time" function enabled on any of your charge cards? I'm wondering if that may function as a de facto reclassification in the AMEX system to a "lending product."

Edit: Here's a link to several reports that both mirror and refute your experience (scroll down about 1/4 page.)

"I have five Amex credit cards and six Amex charge cards. I was just approved for the Schwab platinum yesterday while still holding a personal Platinum, personal Gold, Business Green, Plum, Cash Magnet, Hilton Aspire, Hilton Surpass, Blue Business Cash, Lowe’s and Corporate Green. I don’t believe it."
No, I don't have Pay Over Time. The balance of all these cards are almost always 0 because I pay them as soon as it accrues.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:53 pm

sounds like you already got your answer on reddit? just HUCA and verify. maybe amex credit card max is now 4 (not surprising), but it shouldnt impact you. you only have 2 charge and 3 credit. rep was wrong. but imagine a world where amex only allows you 4 CC total across everything (charge/credit/personal/biz). thats crazy talk. amex would be taking a shutgun to the face by doing that. its a well known fact that the consumer CC business model is a massive profit center for banks. theres a reason why walmart said FU to synch. only a bank like chase can afford the 5/24 rule.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; May 16, 2020 at 5:06 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 10:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Straight from the horses mouth

hurnik, lsquare and lax01 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.