Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2021, 2:59 pm

Any recent DPs if a AU credit card counts towards the 4 limit?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:30 am

When applying for a new card, do I have to be below 4 credit cards? I currently have four and tried to apply. I got the dreaded pop up. My wife has 6 cards and tried to apply and she got the pop up. Pre COVID, I was able to apply for a card even though I was over the limit. Then call, cancel the card over the phone and get approved. I am trying to figure out if the pop up is due to being over the 4 card limit.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American Express Increases Credit Card Limit To 5 (DoC)

lsquare and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's about time! I really think this is a dumb policy. AMEX should just abandon this limit. They have a lot of good cards that I'm willing to pay for. Just limit approvals based on the amount of credit given.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That's irritating. I closed an AMEX Hilton less than a month ago that I would have kept, just so I could use the current SUB offer on an AMEX Delta Gold... having bumped up against the 4 card limit.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's irritating. I closed an AMEX Hilton less than a month ago that I would have kept, just so I could use the current SUB offer on an AMEX Delta Gold... having bumped up against the 4 card limit.
Random. I did the exact same thing (closed Hilton for Amex Delta Gold), except on Friday! I believe they can reinstate the card, but for a fee.
eponymous_coward and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by araknis
Random. I did the exact same thing (closed Hilton for Amex Delta Gold), except on Friday! I believe they can reinstate the card, but for a fee.
I think it used to be free if the cancellation was under 30 days.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Any DPs from today?
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:47 pm
mtp

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Any DPs from today?
Able to open a 5th card with a quick call to reconsideration. Had 5 already (grandfathered), closed one over the phone and immediately approved for fifth card.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Any DPs from today?
I'm looking for more dps before I put an application in.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Applied on Monday, denied due to quantity of lending products.

Called recon on Wednesday, agent counted (out loud) the cards I have open and said "hmmmm, let me check on this for you, the number has changed a lot with the COVID".

After about a 5 minute hold, agent came back with approval.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LedgeT
Applied on Monday, denied due to quantity of lending products.

Called recon on Wednesday, agent counted (out loud) the cards I have open and said "hmmmm, let me check on this for you, the number has changed a lot with the COVID".

After about a 5 minute hold, agent came back with approval.
Where did it say that?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Where did it say that?
I called the automated status line and entered my information, it recognized the application (stated specific card) and provided the reasoning.

I was not able to access the denial letter online, the portal always timed out. I decided to call instead of waiting on the letter to come in the mail.

Total of a ten minute call with the status line/recon, ending with approval.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:31 pm

Auto approved today for my 5th, Delta Business Platinum. Already held Surpass, Hilton Business, BBP, and Amazon Business.

I've seen 2 other DPs on Reddit, and know a friend who also got approved without having to recon.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
New data point here

Until today, I had three Amex "credit cards" (Delta Platinum, Delta Reserve, Bonvoy Brilliant) and two Amex charge cards (Amex Platinum, Charles Schwab Amex Platinum). I applied for the Amex Green card today, was approved. I then applied for the Amex Hilton no fee card, and was also approved. Allegedly Amex is counting the Amex Green card as a "credit card" - this would mean I would have five credit cards, which I guess is now approved under the new Amex rules. However it could have been the case that I wasn't identified as having four "credit" cards when I was approved for the fifth (Amex Hilton no fee).

Long term, I will cancel one of the two Platinum cards, decide whether I should keep the Green or upgrade it to Gold, and maybe see if I should upgrade the Amex Hilton no fee to Aspire...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.