Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Does anyone know if Corporate (Green) cards count against the limit? I imagine not, but it does show under my account when I login.

Searching this thread, I see references to it going all the way back to 2010 (?!) but nothing really definitive recently.
Originally Posted by Visconti
No. Charge cards, corp or otherwise, should not count against the 4 hard limit, or 5, 6, in some cases.
There were reports a while back upthread that Green was an exception; see here:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit. (starting at post 521)
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:54 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There were reports a while back upthread that Green was an exception; see here:
The possible exception is personal Green. There is no basis for Business or Corporate Green to be treated as a credit card. Features matter, not color.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
(Wiki, Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Dec 31, 69 at 7:00 pm) American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners: Charles Schwab, Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for: Delta, Hilton, Lowes, Marriott
(Last edited Dec 31, 69? Is 69 correct?)

Wondering if the information in the Wiki is still considered to be correct and accurate:
10 charge cards, 4 lending (credit) cards (anecdotally possibly 5).

Thank you.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
<digression>
A recent FT update hosed wiki functionality, which was then restored: Error Message when updating Wiki

but (what follows is my reading between the lines) because of migration to some new backend implementation, the last edit dates all got reset to 0. Zero gets interpreted as Dec 31, 1969 in e.g. US time zones because in many computer systems time is counted as number of elapsed seconds since January 1, 1970 UTC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
</digression>
SPN Lifer, Dr Jabadski and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:45 pm

Wondering if the information in the Wiki is still considered to be correct and accurate:
I opened a fifth revolver in September. Only four chargers so can't help with that one.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG

Thank you.
After opening several NLL Biz Gold and Plat accounts in the last year, I reached 10 charge cards. A few days before opening my 4th NLL Biz Plat, I had cancelled one that had the AF on It (no retention offers). When I applied for the next NLL Biz plat offer, I was automatically declined. When I called about it, agent explained the 10 charge card rule. I explained about the one I had cancelled a few days earlier. Once she verified it, she resubmitted app and got the approval a few hours later. Im also had 5 credit cards. I had a Delta Bus Reserve with no retention offer and decided instead of downgrading to the Gold version, just to apply for the Delta biz gold version and get the SUB. App was declined (reason - 5-card limit). I was told to cancel one and then they could reprocess. Cancelled the delta reserve biz, called back and a few hours later, Delta biz gold app was approved.

Now, my NLL offers have dried up (I cant complain) but, Ive downgraded some of the biz plats and will start cancelling some of the others so I can get back below the 10-charge card limit
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:28 pm

Already having 5 cards and hoping to get EveryDay. Should I cancel first?

I have 5 credit cards and the Gold charge card. I am hoping to close the Gold card but don't have another MR card to store my MR. Now I am considering getting ED or EDP. Should I apply first, cancel first, or something else?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by whoisthebest
I have 5 credit cards and the Gold charge card. I am hoping to close the Gold card but don't have another MR card to store my MR. Now I am considering getting ED or EDP. Should I apply first, cancel first, or something else?
Easy answer....I also had 5 credit cards, and was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones that would be allowed to have 6, so I applied for a new credit card. However, the app went to pending, and was later denied. However, after I called in and closed one of my cards, the new app was immediately approved. You don't have anything to lose by applying for your 6th credit card.

However, DO NOT do anything to your GOLD charge card until you definitely have an open ED or EDP. Keeping your Gold charge card will have no impact on your credit cards, and closing it before the ED or EDP is approved could be a disaster. Good Luck.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:08 am

Thanks. Do you recall which number you call? Do they open during weekend?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks... great thread. Just applied and got approved for a Blue Preferred Cash card and got a nice initial limit of $31K, which was great for what I was looking for (boost my available personal credit). Then followed up with an application for a Personal Gold Card and was also approved.... so I am a happy camper.

Next step is to get an AmEx Business Card for my company, but will first wait a few months to digest my other new business cards and earn the bonuses with the required spending... LOL

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
After opening several NLL Biz Gold and Plat accounts in the last year, I reached 10 charge cards. A few days before opening my 4th NLL Biz Plat, I had cancelled one that had the AF on It (no retention offers). When I applied for the next NLL Biz plat offer, I was automatically declined. When I called about it, agent explained the 10 charge card rule. I explained about the one I had cancelled a few days earlier. Once she verified it, she resubmitted app and got the approval a few hours later. Im also had 5 credit cards. I had a Delta Bus Reserve with no retention offer and decided instead of downgrading to the Gold version, just to apply for the Delta biz gold version and get the SUB. App was declined (reason - 5-card limit). I was told to cancel one and then they could reprocess. Cancelled the delta reserve biz, called back and a few hours later, Delta biz gold app was approved.

Now, my NLL offers have dried up (I cant complain) but, Ive downgraded some of the biz plats and will start cancelling some of the others so I can get back below the 10-charge card limit
so the system was not able to immediately recognized that you cancel the other amex platinium charge card? You had to manually do it over the phone?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Easy answer....I also had 5 credit cards, and was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones that would be allowed to have 6, so I applied for a new credit card. However, the app went to pending, and was later denied. However, after I called in and closed one of my cards, the new app was immediately approved. You don't have anything to lose by applying for your 6th credit card.

However, DO NOT do anything to your GOLD charge card until you definitely have an open ED or EDP. Keeping your Gold charge card will have no impact on your credit cards, and closing it before the ED or EDP is approved could be a disaster. Good Luck.
so what number did you call? And did you call in asking about why the app was denied and they said due to the limit? And if you close one of the cards they immediately approved you?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by happyvoid
so the system was not able to immediately recognized that you cancel the other amex platinium charge card? You had to manually do it over the phone?
Correct. Maybe it takes longer than a few days for all of Amex's systems to recognize a closed account. It took an agent to manually verify the closed account, do what needed to be done, resubmit and get the approval a few hours later.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do AU cards count towards the limits? Normally we dont do AUs except on Biz accounts but will be adding to personal Plat account.

Addendum: FrequentMiler claims AU cards do NOT count (at least as of 2018):

https://frequentmiler.com/is-the-ame...rd-limit-gone/

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 24, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid
so what number did you call? And did you call in asking about why the app was denied and they said due to the limit? And if you close one of the cards they immediately approved you?
I either called the number on the back of my Amex Platinum, or the reconsideration line 800-567-1083 or 866-314-0237. Once I spoke to an agent and confirmed I was rejected for having too many cards, I closed one. That agent conferenced with another agent to confirm the account closure, and my rejected application was immediately approved. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.