Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GTITAN
OP, one thought, not sure what your portfolio looks like, but I thought the 6 credit card minimum was for "credit cards" and not :"charge cards". Also, not sure how business credit cards fit into the equation either.

Safe Travels
I've been told the AMEX BBP is a credit card even though it acts like some sort of hybrid. If I include that, then I have 6 AMEX credit cards. Yes, I'm not including my charge cards.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
My AMEX Gold is up for renewal, but I'm going to cancel. I have yet to have cancelled any cards that are under a year old. Furthermore, I actually put spending on my cards; both credit and charge. Across all of my credit and charge cards, I probably put in close to $25k for 2019. Not sure if it's a lot or not, but AMEX can't say I don't put any spending on my cards and just going after the welcome bonuses. I want the Aspire not so much for the welcome bonus, which would be nice, but I want it for the extra points and status for my Hilton stays.
You're getting two things confused. Amex hates even more when you cancel in less than year, and can do worse things to you than just deny bonuses in that case.

Meanwhile, they have denied bonuses to people who opened too many Amex cards too quickly.

Yes, certainly doing spend on all of them helps, but we don't know if it's a guarantee.

So while I wish you luck, I've never heard of anyone getting 6 Amex credit cards in one year (not counting transfers of HH cards from Citi to Amex a couple years ago) before, so I think this may be uncharted territory.

The official limit is 5 last we heard, so I don't even know how you were able to get to 6, and if you cancel just one, you get to 5, so I don't know if cancelling just one would make it possible to apply for another credit card, it's conceivable that you may have to cancel 2 credit cards to be able to apply for 1, if they're now going hold you to the limit of 5.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're getting two things confused. Amex hates even more when you cancel in less than year, and can do worse things to you than just deny bonuses in that case.

Meanwhile, they have denied bonuses to people who opened too many Amex cards too quickly.

Yes, certainly doing spend on all of them helps, but we don't know if it's a guarantee.

So while I wish you luck, I've never heard of anyone getting 6 Amex credit cards in one year (not counting transfers of HH cards from Citi to Amex a couple years ago) before, so I think this may be uncharted territory.

The official limit is 5 last we heard, so I don't even know how you were able to get to 6, and if you cancel just one, you get to 5, so I don't know if cancelling just one would make it possible to apply for another credit card, it's conceivable that you may have to cancel 2 credit cards to be able to apply for 1, if they're now going hold you to the limit of 5.
I'm terribly sorry, but I have to correct myself here. I just looked over at my spreadsheet and my AMEX BBP is actually almost 2 years old. Everything else is under a year old. As for how I managed to keep going? I just applied. I've always paid my bill in full and on time. I pretty much treat my credit cards as charge cards. I don't know what else to tell you.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express is not interested in individual circumstances. Five is the maximum number of credit cards, it's not a suggested number or a typical number.

Business and Personal both count. Blue Business Plus is unambiguously a credit card. You just need to use the cards that you have until you can safely close one.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been told the AMEX BBP is a credit card even though it acts like some sort of hybrid. If I include that, then I have 6 AMEX credit cards. Yes, I'm not including my charge cards.
If, in May or whenever, you do find that you only have to cancel 1, not 2 cards, to be approved for a new one, at the point please report being allowed 6 AMEX credit cards two times in a row to this thread:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Ie, if Amex lets you get to 6 once, maybe that's a mistake, but if they let you get to 6 twice, maybe that's a change in policy.

Thanks.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
American Express is not interested in individual circumstances. Five is the maximum number of credit cards, it's not a suggested number or a typical number.

Business and Personal both count. Blue Business Plus is unambiguously a credit card. You just need to use the cards that you have until you can safely close one.
I stand by what I have said earlier. I just logged into my AMEX account and recount all of my active cards. If I include the BBP, I have 6 credit cards (business and personal).
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Unfortunately for me, all if my credit cards are under one year old.
Ever heard the phrase "Slow Your Roll"?

Last edited by mia; Dec 23, 2019 at 7:50 am Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 21, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I stand by what I have said earlier. I just logged into my AMEX account and recount all of my active cards. If I include the BBP, I have 6 credit cards (business and personal).
You seem to have a very interesting case. If you do not mind, could you enumerate each type of card and rough timeframe you opened it?
Similar to this:
BBP July 20xx
HH converted from Citi
Zorak likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
How do cards like Macy’s, Bloomingdales, and Dillard’s Amex factor into this?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
How do cards like Macy’s, Bloomingdales, and Dillard’s Amex factor into this?
These cards do not count because they are Amex-network cards, not issued by American Express.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:53 pm

I wonder if this is what is happening to me. I have 3 amex cards, one of those is the normal hilton card. Im trying to either get the surpass or the aspire(or both eventually) and they say I dont qualify for the sign up bonus for some reason? Anyone had this happen?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by igneous
I wonder if this is what is happening to me. I have 3 amex cards, one of those is the normal hilton card. Im trying to either get the surpass or the aspire(or both eventually) and they say I dont qualify for the sign up bonus for some reason? Anyone had this happen?
Plenty of people have had this happen.

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ation-process/
sdsearch and igneous like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:14 am

I am now thinking about freeing up one of my Amex slots (5 cards already) and then applying for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy business card. How long should I wait after I close a card to apply? Should I do it on the same day or it doesn’t matter, thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calculus1918
I am now thinking about freeing up one of my Amex slots (5 cards already) and then applying for the Amex Marriott Bonvoy business card. How long should I wait after I close a card to apply? Should I do it on the same day or it doesn’t matter, thanks.
I waited a month before applying and then I was approved.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Even if you have 5 cards already, you can go ahead and apply. You will get an "Application under review" message. Then call the AMEX application line. At that point they will note that you have the max number of cards and will ask which one you'd like to cancel. There may be some questions related to credit allocation between cards. This happened to me several months ago and it worked smoothly... as long as you've abided by other AMEX application rules related to timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.