Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not sure what timing works perfectly, but OTOH, if you don't close, and get denied simply because you've over the limit, in a recon call you can negotiate closing an existing card to be approved for the new card. I believe several people upthread have reported on doing something like that. And doing it that way doesn't require wondering about how long to wait.
Interesting. Thank you, that's a good suggestion that I will keep in mind for the future. In this case though, the application will be for my wife, and she hates calling, so I will have to just close, wait and take my chances.

As a separate question, I just applied for a Business Gold Rewards card after receiving a mailer, and I got a note saying "Please call us at 1-800-528-4800 to be connected directly to a Customer Care Professional who will provide you with a decision." I'm used to dealing with Citi, where if you ignore the message and wait, you'll get approved. Not sure how Amex does it. Should I call in? I would prefer to wait rather than answer questions, but not if that will impact my chances of getting approved.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by LWT3
As a separate question, I just applied for a Business Gold Rewards card after receiving a mailer, and I got a note saying "Please call us at 1-800-528-4800 to be connected directly to a Customer Care Professional who will provide you with a decision." I'm used to dealing with Citi, where if you ignore the message and wait, you'll get approved. Not sure how Amex does it. Should I call in? I would prefer to wait rather than answer questions, but not if that will impact my chances of getting approved.
IME when I've received that message, it has been a painless call to verify information and approve. But, if you're "business" isn't a "real" one...the experience may be different.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
Interesting. Thank you, that's a good suggestion that I will keep in mind for the future. In this case though, the application will be for my wife, and she hates calling, so I will have to just close, wait and take my chances.

Many people recommend never to call Chase on a business card app, unless denied and then call recon. Some people who did call were asked drilling questions which caused to be denied simply because Chase didn't like the answers. Chances are they could have been approved if they hadn't called.

I got a message on my home phone (which is what gave Chase) while I was away for a workweek, asking me to call, but by the time I heard the message (after getting home; I hadn't checked my message remotely) I had already been approved for the Marriott business card I'd applied for.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
IME when I've received that message, it has been a painless call to verify information and approve. But, if you're "business" isn't a "real" one...the experience may be different.
Thanks. I ignored the message and was approved a day later.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by mhdena
This is what happened to me,

"I got my fifth instantly approve March '16.

I applied for a sixth (Blue for Business) last month Feb 2017, got a pending. They called me the next day and told me five was the limit and asked me what card I wanted to close, They moved the credit to the new card."

So since it went pending for you I imagine you'll get a call also. I like this way as there was a DP of a person closing a fifth card to apply for another would be fifth card and was not able to get past four. Or you can call.
Thinking of applying for the Blue for Business now as the 6th card. Did they question you anything about the application on the call? Or was it simply to decide which 5th card to close?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Thinking of applying for the Blue for Business now as the 6th card. Did they question you anything about the application on the call? Or was it simply to decide which 5th card to close?
Blue for Business is no longer available to new applications:

Legacy Blue for Business [USA] (No known valid application links, May 2017)

Did you actually mean that you plan to apply for the Blue Business Plus card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2017-a.html

?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

Blue for Business is no longer available to new applications:

Legacy Blue for Business [USA] (No known valid application links, May 2017)

Did you actually mean that you plan to apply for the Blue Business Plus card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2017-a.html

?
Yes, the Blue Business Plus, thanks. The point of my question was the logistics of the OP's scenario and the topic of this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:49 am

Yes, the Blue Business Plus, thanks. The point of my question was the logistics of the OP's scenario and the topic of this thread.
love this card. This is my main card now, unless there is a 3% or higher reward. 2X amex points are worth a lot more than 2X cash back or some amex offer. This card, plus my Chase, are probably my two favorites.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
DP: have already had both Delta golds (pers & biz) and currently have Delta plat business card. Applied 3/4 for Delta personal platinum and it went pending. Got an email this morning (3/6) telling me to check my status online...it said declined with reason being at the limit of credit cards allowed (I have 5). At the same time I received a voice mail asking me to call. Called in and he said I was over the limit and that I could close one if I wanted. Closed no-fee Hilton card (still have the Ascend card). Pretty easy process.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
For my SO, if I close one of the five credit cards to free up a spot, is it available right away (instantly)? I would think so after what happened in my previous post.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thinking of applying for the [Blue Business Plus] now as the 6th card. Did they question you anything about the application on the call? Or was it simply to decide which 5th card to close?
Well, each person's experience may different, so I'm not sure what one anecdote can prove. But at least when I was applying for the SPG Amex biz card, and I was auto-denied because it was my 5th (not 6th) card, they didn't ask me about the business aspects of my application. But I started out by questioning why I was deneid for a 5th card when 5 cards are the limit, so that steered our conversation in that case.

If you know you'll have to close one card, why not just close it pro-actively first, and then you'll presumably at worst you'd be in my situation, where a computer denies you but you can get it recon'd with a human?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:04 pm

Well, each person's experience may different, so I'm not sure what one anecdote can prove. But at least when I was applying for the SPG Amex biz card, and I was auto-denied because it was my 5th (not 6th) card, they didn't ask me about the business aspects of my application. But I started out by questioning why I was deneid for a 5th card when 5 cards are the limit, so that steered our conversation in that case.

If you know you'll have to close one card, why not just close it pro-actively first, and then you'll presumably at worst you'd be in my situation, where a computer denies you but you can get it recon'd with a human?
Because I don't think there's any hard DP how long a closure takes to open up a slot, whereas the call in to close (which I've done before, but not for business) was instant. Anyways, your input is actually helpful on steering the conversation. Also asking for someone else as they wouldn't want to deal with application questions.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Closing credit card

I currently have 5 credit cards with amex. Spg, spg biz, delta plat, delta gold and ED.

I was looking at closing spg personal which has a $25k limit.

Will they auto relocate this credit line to another company card or does it just disappear ?

Next question. I have the intent to apply for more amex cc in the near future is it likely at that point I will have to close another card to open the new account ? Or is it likely they will let me back up to 5 credit cards again without issue

Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is a self service online facility that may allow you move nearly the entire credit line to another card:

Amex Credit Line Reallocation - Again available [2011]

However, if you are at/near the maximum total credit that American Express chooses to extend they may arbitrarily reduce a line to open a new one.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Which one?

Hi,
I have the Hilton (no AF), Delta (Personal & business), & PRG presently.. So, basically 3 credit cards + 1 charge. All opened within last 7 months with a clean record as of date.

Question - which card should I apply for considering I want to avoid paying AF's . Amex Everyday looks good as I can keep my UR's as I don't want to pay the PRG 2nd year or should I go for the SPG to get the sign on bonus ? If I do that, then I will be at 4 cc's and probably cannot take another Amex cc unless I cancel an existing one.

Also, while reading multiple posts, I believe this is correct, do correct me if my understanding in wrong -- I can downgrade Delta Gold to Delta blue post 1 year (to ensure my credit limits / number of cards don't decrease) , but there is no card I can downgrade to from PRG which does not have AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.