Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelingZoomer
American Express typically allows USA cardholders to have a maximum of four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Personal and Business cards count against this cap. Some individuals have more credit cards if opened before the cap was instituted. Anecdotal evidence indicates the limit may have been raised to five in early 2016.

Edit: As of May 19, 2020, Amex has confirmed the limit is four lending (credit) cards, and ten charge cards. Source

Centurion, Platinum, Plum, Gold, and Green are charge cards.

American Express issues both charge and credit cards for three co-brand partners:
  • Charles Schwab
  • Morgan Stanley

All others are credit cards. This includes all variants of Everyday, Blue, and many discontinued cards. It includes all co-branded cards currently issued for:
  • Delta
  • Hilton
  • Lowes
  • Marriott
Print Wikipost

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Friday (3 days ago), forgetting that I had 9 open AmEx charge cards, I did 2 applications. The first (Biz Plat) was instantly approved. The second (Biz Gold) went pending. Multiple calls to both numbers in the quote below resulted in the same message “computer system for our representatives to look at this information is down, call back later”. Only after posting and reading here did I realize it might be the 10 charge card limit.

Called again next day (Saturday), same message at both numbers. Called customer service yesterday (Sunday), closed 3-4 accounts, each 1-2 years old. I could see the closed accounts on the mobile app immediately.

Called both numbers today (Monday), same message. Called Biz Gold customer service and Biz Plat customer service, each call asked and was transferred to Global New Accounts. Both times the New Accounts agent put me on hold to speak/email with “the back office”, both times told still in review, will get an email in 3-5 days. Both times I was told I could not speak with the back office.

I’m not certain I was actually speaking with a recon agent/credit analyst. Both Global New Accounts agents were overseas and had accents and apparently could not actually do the review and make a decision, all my past recon calls the agent has been in the USA with no accent and was the actual person to review and decide.
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
… after I called in and closed one of my cards, the new app was immediately approved. …
I either called the number on the back of my Amex Platinum, or the reconsideration line 800-567-1083 or 866-314-0237. Once I spoke to an agent and confirmed I was rejected for having too many cards, I closed one. That agent conferenced with another agent to confirm the account closure, and my rejected application was immediately approved. Good Luck.
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
It took an agent to manually verify the closed account, do what needed to be done, resubmit and get the approval a few hours later.
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
… After explaining that I had cancelled an account a few days earlier, she had to verify that it had been closed, agent did whatever she needed to do to the application, she then resubmitted it and I got the approval a few hours later…
How recent were these experiences? Were you able to speak with a true recon agent/credit analyst? How were you notified of, or become aware of, their decision after the call? Thank you.

Edit: Happy Ending: After making the 2 calls this morning (Monday), I next checked email ~6 hours later and saw an email timed ~5 hours after the calls ““You've been approved. American Express® Business Gold Card ACCOUNT ENDING: XXXXX”. Thanks to all who replied to my posts during this difficult time.

I’m still not sure why I couldn’t get through to a recon agent for 3 days, including a trial call just now, ~5 hours after email receipt, when I heard the exact same message. I don’t know if it’s a targeted message (based on inputting last 4 and ZIP code) or a true statement, certainly do not know how long it will last, hope it’s not the end of customers being able to speak with an AmEx recon agent.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Mar 13, 2023 at 7:06 pm Reason: additional information added
Old May 20, 2023, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
I haven’t applied for a new Amex card in a while. How long do I need to wait after closing Card #5 before applying for a new card?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Friday (3 days ago), forgetting that I had 9 open AmEx charge cards, I did 2 applications. The first (Biz Plat) was instantly approved. The second (Biz Gold) went pending. Multiple calls to both numbers in the quote below resulted in the same message “computer system for our representatives to look at this information is down, call back later”. Only after posting and reading here did I realize it might be the 10 charge card limit.

Called again next day (Saturday), same message at both numbers. Called customer service yesterday (Sunday), closed 3-4 accounts, each 1-2 years old. I could see the closed accounts on the mobile app immediately.

Called both numbers today (Monday), same message. Called Biz Gold customer service and Biz Plat customer service, each call asked and was transferred to Global New Accounts. Both times the New Accounts agent put me on hold to speak/email with “the back office”, both times told still in review, will get an email in 3-5 days. Both times I was told I could not speak with the back office.

I’m not certain I was actually speaking with a recon agent/credit analyst. Both Global New Accounts agents were overseas and had accents and apparently could not actually do the review and make a decision, all my past recon calls the agent has been in the USA with no accent and was the actual person to review and decide. How recent were these experiences? Were you able to speak with a true recon agent/credit analyst? How were you notified of, or become aware of, their decision after the call? Thank you.

Edit: Happy Ending: After making the 2 calls this morning (Monday), I next checked email ~6 hours later and saw an email timed ~5 hours after the calls ““You've been approved. American Express® Business Gold Card ACCOUNT ENDING: XXXXX”. Thanks to all who replied to my posts during this difficult time.

I’m still not sure why I couldn’t get through to a recon agent for 3 days, including a trial call just now, ~5 hours after email receipt, when I heard the exact same message. I don’t know if it’s a targeted message (based on inputting last 4 and ZIP code) or a true statement, certainly do not know how long it will last, hope it’s not the end of customers being able to speak with an AmEx recon agent.
do you think calling helped or just waiting would have yielded the same results
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by happyvoid
do you think calling helped or just waiting would have yielded the same results
(My opinion was solicited, other opinions may vary.) Although the calls seemed (at the time) to be unproductive, I’m 99% certain that calling helped and was the proximate cause of the approval.

I don’t know if “computer system for our representatives to look at this information is down …” is true or just a line they feed us. I don’t know if and when and how they would “look at the information”, before or after closing 3-4 accounts and if those 3-4 closures would have been looked at. I believe that we never get the full story, they keep some information close to the vest. Thus it’s also possible that I was never told all the reasons for a pending decision and in the course of one of the calls inadvertently and coincidentally mentioned (in a favorable way) something else involved in the decision.

I’m a strong advocate of calling and have been for many (~20-30) years. I understand the rational of fewer human eyes on account (particularly with my notional biz credentials), I think the benefits of calling outweigh the risks. I’ve had many (~40-50) productive and lucrative recon calls (mostly with Chase prior to 5/24) I’ve not had any adverse actions (other than a denial that stood) during or after a recon call and I’ve usually been able to get immediate gratification (a decision), occasionally even with a recon call I’ve had to wait a few days.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:00 am

Declined for reaching maximum card limit

Recently applied for the Amex Surpass. Was instantly denied for having the maximum number of Amex cards. I ended up closing the Everyday card since I never use it.

Any ideas when it would be safe to reapply?
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by dascc
Recently applied for the Amex Surpass. Was instantly denied for having the maximum number of Amex cards. I ended up closing the Everyday card since I never use it.

Any ideas when it would be safe to reapply?
I would call the reconsideration line to tell them you closed a card since the application
diesteldorf, Dr Jabadski and dascc like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I would call the reconsideration line to tell them you closed a card since the application
Once you call the reconsideration line, they should be able to reopen and approve your existing application. Good Luck.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 6:55 pm

Once you call the reconsideration line, they should be able to reopen and approve your existing application. Good Luck.
thanks! I'll give that a try.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:10 pm

The reconsideration line approved the card. If I didn't get a popup for being ineligible for the bonus when I first applied, I should be good to go, right?
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dascc
The reconsideration line approved the card. If I didn't get a popup for being ineligible for the bonus when I first applied, I should be good to go, right?
Congrats, you should be good. However, any rep should be able to confirm your bonus eligibility if you call or chat.
dascc likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
A data point for new applications and cancelling cards to cut number of accounts: I decided to apply for one of the renewed Hilton cards, and forgot that I had five credit cards open with AMEX. My application was rejected because I had exceeded the number of accounts allowable (from memory, I didn’t record the exact words). I called the reconsideration line and asked if cancelling accounts would help. Thr reconsideration rep said it might, and connected me to a separate rep who could cancel cards. The reconsideration rep waited on the line while I cancelled two credit cards. The reconsideration rep took over and resubmitted my application. She wasn’t able to give me an immediate answer, but within a couple of hours I received an approval email.
dw and ZenFlyer like this.

Last edited by Mike B; Oct 29, 2023 at 10:03 pm
Old Oct 30, 2023, 2:56 pm

That's usually been standard operating procedure. You can apply while at 5, get denied, then call in to cancel one while on the phone with the rep and have them resubmit. Should result in an approval within a day.

Alternatively, when at 5, you can close one to go down to 4. It will take about 30 days for their system to update and allow you to be auto-approved, so if you apply before then, you'll get denied for the 5-card limit, but the reconsideration line will be able to resubmit in light of you only having 4. Usually results in an approval within a day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:11 pm

Can you have more than 5 amex credit cards?

I've read on the internet that the limit on the number of credit card (not charge cards) is 5, but the amex chat agent assures me that i can have more than 5 amex credit card at a time. And I asked if this excludes charge card, and he/she said yes..

so my question is, is this true, and how do you get more than 5 amex cards?

is the 2-amex-application-every-90-days rule still in effect? or can i apply for 3 credit cards (2 personal, 1 biz) in a short time?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Had 5 Amex charge cards, canceled one last week. Applied for a Hilton Surpass yesterday, denied because “limit” on number of cards.

successfully got reconsideration but my question is how long after cancelling before they update whether you are at max cards?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
....this true...
Apparently not, read the last few posts. I suppose it could be true for YOU, if not for everyone, but the only way to know would be to apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 31, 2023 at 5:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.