Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:19 pm

Is there a way to create an online account for a card with no SSN?

I was able to get it activated, but the online activation fails when it asks for zip code online
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:45 pm

DP: I was able to activate an employee Card SPGBiz through the chat feature. Only employee name and DOB required.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Been thinking of adding my parents onto my Platinum card for awhile. With the targeted offer (5,000 MR per additional card, up to 20,000), figured why not do it now! Some questions hoping you folks can help with:

1) Anyone had their supplement cards cancelled without providing SSNs? It looks like Amex only requires name to add additional cardholders online, but then they post this: The Additional Card Member's Social Security Number and Date of Birth are not required to submit this request. However, this information must be provided by you or the Additional Card Member within 60 days after the Card is issued, or the Additional Card will be canceled.

2) Will the supplemental card accounts show up on my online account automatically or do I need to get them added? If I need to get them added, will it be a problem if I don't provide SSNs for the supplemental card holders?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by suziemay
Been thinking of adding my parents onto my Platinum card for awhile. With the targeted offer (5,000 MR per additional card, up to 20,000), figured why not do it now! Some questions hoping you folks can help with:

1) Anyone had their supplement cards cancelled without providing SSNs? It looks like Amex only requires name to add additional cardholders online, but then they post this: The Additional Card Member's Social Security Number and Date of Birth are not required to submit this request. However, this information must be provided by you or the Additional Card Member within 60 days after the Card is issued, or the Additional Card will be canceled.

2) Will the supplemental card accounts show up on my online account automatically or do I need to get them added? If I need to get them added, will it be a problem if I don't provide SSNs for the supplemental card holders?

Thanks in advance!
I'd be interested in the answers to these questions as well. Is a SSN required? AMEX veterans, let us know!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

Thanks in advance!
No one knows?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:07 pm

I'm a primary card holder and do not have SSN which has been fine so far. I added an AU who does not have SSN as well and I kept getting a message from Amex every few months asking me to provide SSN for an AU. Talked to them a few times and they took his passport number and said everything was fine. I still got the messages. Last time I talked to live chat, I was given a url to upload the document. I scanned his passport and uploaded there and never got the message since.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Fishy
I'm a primary card holder and do not have SSN which has been fine so far. I added an AU who does not have SSN as well and I kept getting a message from Amex every few months asking me to provide SSN for an AU. Talked to them a few times and they took his passport number and said everything was fine. I still got the messages. Last time I talked to live chat, I was given a url to upload the document. I scanned his passport and uploaded there and never got the message since.
Thank you! I just finished an online chat with a customer care rep who informed me that I could add someone without an SSN, but then I would be asked to add some sort of ID information.

May I ask, is all this communication coordinated through you, the primary user? I'm looking to add my dad, I don't want Amex to be contacting him about anything.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:40 am

Thank you! I just finished an online chat with a customer care rep who informed me that I could add someone without an SSN, but then I would be asked to add some sort of ID information.

May I ask, is all this communication coordinated through you, the primary user? I'm looking to add my dad, I don't want Amex to be contacting him about anything.

Thanks!
Yes. I did everything myself and AU didn't have to do anything except giving me his passport to scan.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:12 am

Yes. I did everything myself and AU didn't have to do anything except giving me his passport to scan.
Awesome. Thanks ^
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:20 pm

Do you know if the card showed on AU's credit report?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Do you know if the card showed on AU's credit report?
No idea on this one. I also dont have SSN but have a credit score showing on both Citi and Amex. Not sure if AU gets it as well since he cannot create Amex account.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:37 am

Has anyone lately been able to register an AU card online (ie., register a new card), so that you can add Amex offers to it, and use it --- without giving SSN? If yes, how?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
Has anyone lately been able to register an AU card online (ie., register a new card), so that you can add Amex offers to it, and use it --- without giving SSN? If yes, how?
I requested two cards for my minor children last month. When I applied they said I would need to provide SS# or DL # (even got a letter saying I would have to go online to add it or they would cancel the new cards) but I activated one last week and he was able to use it for a large purchase without an issue. I haven't activated the second card yet. FWIW when I registered online I had to set up an additional online account for him. I also didn't see anywhere on the website to add the info when I looked so I am just going to let it ride and see what happens/
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by kklems
I requested two cards for my minor children last month. When I applied they said I would need to provide SS# or DL # (even got a letter saying I would have to go online to add it or they would cancel the new cards) but I activated one last week and he was able to use it for a large purchase without an issue. I haven't activated the second card yet. FWIW when I registered online I had to set up an additional online account for him. I also didn't see anywhere on the website to add the info when I looked so I am just going to let it ride and see what happens/
i know about activation. in fact you can use an amex card without even officially activating.

what i was asking abt is registering the card online, in an account. when i go to "Register for new card' under Account Services, they ask for DOB and SSN. about a year ago, they dont do that. so regarding the bolded, how do you manage to do that without providing an SSN? or did you provide one?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
i know about activation. in fact you can use an amex card without even officially activating.

what i was asking abt is registering the card online, in an account. when i go to "Register for new card' under Account Services, they ask for DOB and SSN. about a year ago, they dont do that. so regarding the bolded, how do you manage to do that without providing an SSN? or did you provide one?
Here is the whole process so far for me:

Logged into my Amex account and noticed an offer for 10K Honors points for adding an AU.(w/ 1k spend) Clicked on link and ordered two. I got the notice that I would have to supply SS# or DL# in the future if I didn't do it now or the new cards would be cancelled. Cards arrived. I logged into my account to try to activate card #1 and it told me I had to create as new account to manage the AU card. Set up new account, never asked for SS# or DL# and in fact I clicked around looking and couldnt find a place to enter it. I have also received a mail letter telling me I needed to add info or card would be cancelled and received two emails (one per card) today. I have the second card to activate and will do that in the next day or two and see what happens. Don't care if cards get cancelled, just wanted the 10K per card since both kids had a large expense coming up anyway to met the spend threshold. So no SS# or DL # entered to date and I will let the board know if and when they cancel the AU cards. There is no reason to require that since I am the primary cardholder and I am responsible for all the charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.