Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:35 am

Additional Card needs Social Security Number now?

Hello:

I haven't added a additional card member in a while. When applying for now just now, I see this on the website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...21-10-0#/apply):

American Express® Gold Card

Your Additional Card will be canceled if you do not provide the Additional Card Member's Social Security Number and Date of Birth within 60 days. You can provide this information now, or when activating their Card.

It was not the case last time I applied. Any idea if this is being strictly enforced?

Thanks!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Activation of a card for a user with no SSN is way easier than might be expected.

The web site demands SSN entry and after 3 failures, it says:

Phoning that number goes into an automated phone system that also asks for SSN and after 3 failures, it says that the card is now activated!
How did you get the cards without giving SSN?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Yes, and in my case, an authorized user had gone through a bankruptcy and was denied the card after we gave the SSN of the user.

Safe Travels
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by guoguo914
Hello:

I haven't added a additional card member in a while. When applying for now just now, I see this on the website.

Your Additional Card will be canceled if you do not provide the Additional Card Member's Social Security Number and Date of Birth within 60 days. You can provide this information now, or when activating their Card.

It was not the case last time I applied. Any idea if this is being strictly enforced?
Thanks!
No, it's not necessary to provide SSN, a valid ID number, like passport, is accepted.
SSN is not required not only for authorized users, but also for the main applicant. You can still apply for a Amex card if you don't have SSN, as long as they can verify your ID, like making a phone conference with your bank account service.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guoguo914
How did you get the cards without giving SSN?
At the time the additional user was added, nothing demanded it.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat, IHG Diamond AMB
I just put the main cardholders SSN and it worked.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I just got a notice on my credit report that I had been added as an AU, although Amex had never been provided with my SSN. Any hope I can get this removed via dispute with the credit agency?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
I just got a notice on my credit report that I had been added as an AU, although Amex had never been provided with my SSN. Any hope I can get this removed via dispute with the credit agency?
You left out a key piece of information: were you added as an AU to someone's Amex account?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:30 pm

Looks like you can add passport # via chat?

Last edited by idkmybffjill; Nov 23, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Carq
No, it's not necessary to provide SSN, a valid ID number, like passport, is accepted.
SSN is not required not only for authorized users, but also for the main applicant. You can still apply for a Amex card if you don't have SSN, as long as they can verify your ID, like making a phone conference with your bank account service.
How do you apply for a new card without an SSN? The application process literally requires an SSN?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
How do you apply for a new card without an SSN? The application process literally requires an SSN?
By phone, no need. But you still need a U.S. bank account and mailing address.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by moe8555
By phone, no need. But you still need a U.S. bank account and mailing address.
I've seen US Amex accounts that have had cards issued this year and last year where the main account holders and/or AUs have no SSN. There are still some natural-born US citizens who have had multiple (and even recently-issued) US passports but have never had a SSN and some them have US Amex cards for years and years.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've seen US Amex accounts that have had cards issued this year and last year where the main account holders and/or AUs have no SSN. There are still some natural-born US citizens who have had multiple (and even recently-issued) US passports but have never had a SSN and some them have US Amex cards for years and years.
No need to even be a U.S. person at all to get a card. Just a U.S. bank account and mailing address.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by moe8555
No need to even be a U.S. person at all to get a card. Just a U.S. bank account and mailing address.
Did they ask for any ID to be sent over or ask for a substitute ID number of sorts?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did they ask for any ID to be sent over or ask for a substitute ID number of sorts?
I'm a U.S. person, so not speaking firsthand; however, I'm abroad and part of a local frequent flyer/points group (a real-life group that meets) and a number of the people have told me how it works. Applications can be done via telephone only and a foreign passport is enough (again, as long as you have a U.S. bank account and mailing address).

These people did have to slowly build up a credit report just like any regular person - it wasn't a global transfer based on history with Amex in the other country.

Certain issuers like Barclays do not offer this avenue at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.