Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Authorized user with no SSN?

has any one been able to add an authorized user to their amex account recently with out giving the new users SSN?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:44 pm

It can be done

I did it by calling AMEX directly (they asked for the number and I said I didn't have it). There is no way to do it using the website. Also, keep in mind when the new card arrives, you have to activate it over the phone or on the website and it asks for a social security number again.

I went to the website and put in my SSN and it was activated.

Since I am responsible for the account, I think their attempt to collect additional info on anyone I choose to give a card to is ridiculous. I have never been asked to provide similar info from my MC or discover card. Also, I have been a AMEX Platinum Card holder since 1997 with a perfect payment history.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:01 pm

I added my mother and wife to my amex gold without giving them their SS number. I just stated that I didn't have them. I did it because I didn't want the card on their credit reports. Anyway, long story short, not a problem.

Alex
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moolman
I added my mother and wife to my amex gold without giving them their SS number. I just stated that I didn't have them. I did it because I didn't want the card on their credit reports. Anyway, long story short, not a problem.

Alex
how long ago was this?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by azmmza
how long ago was this?
May I add the advice everyone else gives when you call an airline and get the wrong answer from someone who insists they are correct.
HANG UP AND CALL AGAIN.

fyi I have added additional card holders without social security numbers.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:47 pm

For what it's worth, I've never been asked for an SSN when adding cardholders to my business Amex.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I'm a British citizen and my wife had me on her account for six months before I got my own SSN.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
When I add authorized users I do not give out their ssn's when asked, instead I confirm to the cs agent that the individuals are over 18. That's been good enough everytime.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
I added an authorized user to a DL Gold card about a month ago online. The form asked for an SSN, but I just didn't include it, and it processed fine.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:03 pm

Amex Platinum question

If I were to get three additional cards, do they have to be for US citizens only? My in-laws are Canadian and don't have social security numbers. Can I list them as authorized users?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:50 pm

my experience is amex requires social security numbers for the add ons.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:39 am

They gave me the option when I got the additional card for my wife. But since I wanted to add her as an authorized user and account manager, they required SSN. But my wife is a US Citizen living in the US, so I can't speak to your specific situation.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

el485h1's question has been appended to a previous discussion of the same topic, but that discussion pre-dates some changes in bank regulation. I know there have been more recent discussions of this topic which I will try to locate and reference in this post.

There is some discussion in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-stranger.html
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I added my wife as an AU over the phone. They asked for her SSN and I said I didn't have it. Card showed up the next day, she was able to activate it over the phone and was not asked for her SSN. This was all last summer, maybe, and she's been using the card as her primary every since with no problems.

Every few months I'll get a letter saying to call in and provide her SSN, and I seem to never have the time/memory to actually do it.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I added my wife as an AU over the phone. They asked for her SSN and I said I didn't have it. Card showed up the next day, she was able to activate it over the phone and was not asked for her SSN. This was all last summer, maybe, and she's been using the card as her primary every since with no problems.

Every few months I'll get a letter saying to call in and provide her SSN, and I seem to never have the time/memory to actually do it.
I have the same experience as above - my foreign spouse didn't have an SSN and was able to add her to my platinum w/o a problem on the phone. I also got one letter out of the 7 months. i finally got her ssn and gave it to them as i hope she can get my credit history

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.