Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
How do you apply for a new card without an SSN? The application process literally requires an SSN?
You can use 999...0 as your SSN number on the application form. A few minutes after applying, you should receive an email asking to get in touch with Amex and provide the application reference number. You can explain that you don't have SSN and provide another ID, but they will need to verify this, in my case, by making a three way conference call with my bank.

Last edited by Carq; Nov 25, 2019 at 6:25 am Reason: ...
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did they ask for any ID to be sent over or ask for a substitute ID number of sorts?
No, they ask for a valid ID number and details (passport, driver's license...). When I opened my first CC with them, they made a conference call to my bank to verify my identification. The next ones didn't required this, they just ask the ID details for verification, as the SSN number I use on the form is not valid.

Last edited by Carq; Nov 25, 2019 at 6:25 am Reason: ...
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carq
You can use 999...0 as your SSN number on the application form. A few minutes after applying, you should receive an email asking to get in touch with Amex and provide the application reference number. You can explain that you don't have SSN and provide another ID, but they will need to verify this, in my case, by making a three way conference call with my bank.
What exactly are they verifying by conferencing calling with a bank? Can it be a US based bank? I have a capital one 360 account.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
It has to Bé a US-bank.

They verify tour identity and that you have a bank account with that bank.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:36 am

update - problem solved

Last edited by gnomey; Apr 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
update - problem solved
How dd u eventually solved it?
DC9 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by javierieh
I just had a chat regarding this with one of the amex CS representatives.
This is valid for the AMEX Platinum Personal card. I'm not sure about Business.
  1. Yes, it is possible to add an authorized user without an SSN. To do so:
    1. Leave the "SSN" field blank while applying
    2. At time of activation, you can use:
      1. Foreign issued driver license
      2. Green card
      3. Student Visa
      4. Foreign passport
  2. You can ship a card to a different address (even internationally) To do so, you must add a secondary address to your profile
  3. You can also use expedited shipping if you ask nicely when adding a card via phone (1-800-528-4800)
Very helpful info. Is this still valid as of 2022? Do other banks allow it on their MCs and Visa's or is Amex the best bet? (Chase, Citi, etc.)?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do they clawback AU offers if you never provide SSN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.