Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by kklems
Here is the whole process so far for me:

Logged into my Amex account and noticed an offer for 10K Honors points for adding an AU.(w/ 1k spend) Clicked on link and ordered two. I got the notice that I would have to supply SS# or DL# in the future if I didn't do it now or the new cards would be cancelled. Cards arrived. I logged into my account to try to activate card #1 and it told me I had to create as new account to manage the AU card. Set up new account, never asked for SS# or DL# and in fact I clicked around looking and couldnt find a place to enter it. I have also received a mail letter telling me I needed to add info or card would be cancelled and received two emails (one per card) today. I have the second card to activate and will do that in the next day or two and see what happens. Don't care if cards get cancelled, just wanted the 10K per card since both kids had a large expense coming up anyway to met the spend threshold. So no SS# or DL # entered to date and I will let the board know if and when they cancel the AU cards. There is no reason to require that since I am the primary cardholder and I am responsible for all the charges.
strange abt the first bolded - i wonder is it because this is the first time your kid owns an AU card from Amex? I replicate your method above for my AU, and still the DOB and SSN request pops up.

so far nothing happened to my AU card yet. i think i m already passed the 'deadline' but the AU card can still be used. like you said, why does it matter, i am still the person paying the bills.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
strange abt the first bolded - i wonder is it because this is the first time your kid owns an AU card from Amex? I replicate your method above for my AU, and still the DOB and SSN request pops up.

so far nothing happened to my AU card yet. i think i m already passed the 'deadline' but the AU card can still be used. like you said, why does it matter, i am still the person paying the bills.
Noticed when I logged into both of the AU account today that they cancelled them(11/4/17 was the deadline to provide SS#) Still not sure why they need a minor childs SS# but so be it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Sorry for bumping a 1-year-old (exactly!) thread, but I don't see a resolution in the last few posts to the question of how to create a seperate login for an AU card with no SSN (my friend has a Granadian passport, and I had to call and give Amex his passport number when I activated his AU card). I tried entering my own SSN, and all zeros, with no success.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by huge
Sorry for bumping a 1-year-old (exactly!) thread, but I don't see a resolution in the last few posts to the question of how to create a seperate login for an AU card with no SSN (my friend has a Granadian passport, and I had to call and give Amex his passport number when I activated his AU card). I tried entering my own SSN, and all zeros, with no success.
SSNs, 000-00-0000, 000-00-0001, and or any similar have long been used by those seeking to commit fraud, so (wisely) many bank have blocked such numbers from being accepted.

Your own SSN obviously won't work because it is associated with primary account holder; *you*.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:12 am

Amex Authorized User SSN Requirements

Hi,

Is it still possible to add Amex Authorize user w/o SSN for Amex Business cards. I have oversea employees that I want to issue cards to for purchasing items from US Online Retail for my online business. In the past, I believe we can add up to several auth user per amex business acct. Is this still allowed? Amex Chat reps inform me that SSN is require. Can we push this through via phone support?

Just to clarify, this will not be use for Amex offer as Amex have canned that loop hole.... Will be use for real employee purchases.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo

Is it still possible to add Amex Authorize user w/o SSN for Amex Business cards.
IIRC, they require input of SSN to activate the card and create online account. GL if you can activate your employee's CC w/o input of SSN.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Alaska, Marriot, Hilton, Avis
I just had a chat regarding this with one of the amex CS representatives.
This is valid for the AMEX Platinum Personal card. I'm not sure about Business.
  1. Yes, it is possible to add an authorized user without an SSN. To do so:
    1. Leave the "SSN" field blank while applying
    2. At time of activation, you can use:
      1. Foreign issued driver license
      2. Green card
      3. Student Visa
      4. Foreign passport
  2. You can ship a card to a different address (even internationally) To do so, you must add a secondary address to your profile
  3. You can also use expedited shipping if you ask nicely when adding a card via phone (1-800-528-4800)
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Activation of a card for a user with no SSN is way easier than might be expected.

The web site demands SSN entry and after 3 failures, it says:
We're sorry. We could not process your request.
Please call (800) 233-6111 for assistance.
Phoning that number goes into an automated phone system that also asks for SSN and after 3 failures, it says that the card is now activated!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
....the card is now activated!
In my experience American Express (USA) additional cards can be used without activation. The important issue is how long will American Express allow the card to remain valid without a SSN or similar?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
In my experience American Express (USA) additional cards can be used without activation. The important issue is how long will American Express allow the card to remain valid without a SSN or similar?
I have seen AU cards on regular US Amex Plat accounts (personal not business ones) remain valid for nearly 4-5 years without a SSN provided to Amex as far as I know. It did come with some Amex follow-up calls or letters (can’t recall which) over a year or two.

There are some US residents who have Amex AU cards for use by relatives resident in countries beside the US or for use by foreign relatives whose legal stay/visit in the US is of a sort where getting or having a SSN is not part of the picture.

There are even some US citizens who don’t have SSNs, and I have to assume that some of them have Amex AU cards.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:49 pm

I was recently added as an AU on an EDP and my SSN was given at the time. But now with a better understanding of the 5/24 rule I do not want the card on my credit report. The card is so recent it has not appeared on any of the 3 reports yet as of today. If I am removed right now will the account still pop up on my reports later? Anyone has any data points?

I am only concerned because of the 5/24 rule, not our credit scores.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Holding an additional card (AU) on someone else's account does not actually increase your 5/24 count at Chase. If they include the account in the count you simply need to explain.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
Holding an additional card (AU) on someone else's account does not actually increase your 5/24 count at Chase. If they include the account in the count you simply need to explain.
True but my understanding is it would go to recon and I am hoping not to have to do that.

So my question: if the AU is removed only 3 weeks after card approval, is there a chance the AU will never report to credit bureaus?

Anyway, I think I will give it a try and report back. I can’t think of any downsides.

Last edited by Dream of Flying; Aug 13, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have seen AU cards on regular US Amex Plat accounts (personal not business ones) remain valid for nearly 4-5 years without a SSN provided to Amex as far as I know. It did come with some Amex follow-up calls or letters (can’t recall which) over a year or two.
I have added a couple of close relatives, non-US residents, as AUs, mostly so they can use the lounges. AMEX just asked for date of birth and to send them a scanned ID for each.

The only problem is that, even without SSNs, I started to receive "pre-approved" credit card offers in their names in my mailbox (I have now stopped the mailings in https://www.optoutprescreen.com/).
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying

True but my understanding is it would go to recon and I am hoping not to have to do that.

So my question: if the AU is removed only 3 weeks after card approval, is there a chance the AU will never report to credit bureaus?

Anyway, I think I will give it a try and report back. I can’t think of any downsides.
I came back to provide the data point:

The short answer is, the AU never reported.

What happened: P1 added P2 to a new Amex; removed P2 before the end of the 2nd statement date; after the 2nd statement cut, P1 promptly started to report, P2 never reported.

Lucky it was an Amex which takes 2 cycles to start to report to credit bureaus so there was more time to act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.