Wiki Posts
Search

Authorized user with no SSN?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:29 pm
BCF

Programs: AA, US, WN, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by el485h1
If I were to get three additional cards, do they have to be for US citizens only? My in-laws are Canadian and don't have social security numbers. Can I list them as authorized users?
Yes you can, but not through their website. you have to call the number on the back of your card.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Supplement AMEX Plat Card [Non US-Citizen]

Am I allowed to request a supplement AMEX Plat Card for a non US citizen, but under my account? I believe AMEX is a bit more strict, unlike other card issuers where they just want the first and last name provided.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but I could not ding the proper keywords to yield any search results.

Cheers,
krpjr
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have done this more than once, but both times were a few years ago, and the rules are always changing.

I think the first time I only had to provide DOB. The second time I had to provide DOB and I might have also had to send them a copy of an ID (Canadan passport).

In neither case was the AU a green card holder.

I don't remember exactly when these were, but I am thinking 2010 and 2011.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Yes you can.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:25 am

Yes you can - I added my foreign spouse as an AU before we got married so she can get lounge access on platnium for honeymoon.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:10 am

Weird, logged into AMEX today and they want to know the two SSNs of the authorized users on my PRG account.

They're not bogus, I just don't want the accounts showing up on their credit reports.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:19 am

Not to hijack the thread but Amex has tightened up on authorized additional users that do not have ssn. I can also think of legitimate reasons you may not want a additional user SSN reported to amex as their credit report will come back with your address etc.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:14 pm

Does Chase require SSNs for AU's?
Old May 14, 2013, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Centurion
Not to hijack the thread but Amex has tightened up on authorized additional users that do not have ssn.
Well, they seem to have issues tightening up on additional users that do have SSNs.

Amex is still issuing AU cards in the names of people that does not even match up with the SSN names info.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Does Chase require SSNs for AU's?
No they do not. I needed to add a AU to my wife's Mileage Explorer to get the extra 5k and added my 2 month old daughter to the card.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by jpark1982
No they do not. I needed to add a AU to my wife's Mileage Explorer to get the extra 5k and added my 2 month old daughter to the card.
Thanks. Oh and FWIW, don't get your daughter started THAT early, she will be eating half your wallet in her teens =)
Old May 17, 2013, 6:32 pm

Yes, I did this with an app in March. They sent a letter requesting a SSN be attached to the authorized user but I called up and they said it was not required.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bg26892
Yes, I did this with an app in March. They sent a letter requesting a SSN be attached to the authorized user but I called up and they said it was not required.
As of two months ago at least, the practice was still the same.

Not all US citizens have SSNs; and plenty of Amex AU cards have been issued on behalf of US person's foreign national relatives not eligible for a SSN. I hope this practice doesn't change.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:51 am

This thread is about a year old. I was wondering if people are still able to add foreigners (without SSNs) to AMEX cards right now?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Yes, I added my foreign girlfriend to my us platinum card account two months ago. I called them and said she didn't have a ssn. They didn't have a problem with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.