Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Apart from the CS Rep possibly refusing, there should not be any consequence to asking for them to revert your earlier request. Usually the only time a change of carrier is denied is if any of portion of the credit has already been used in the calendar year.
Thanks for your feedback. Will wait a day or two for a DP here before attempting to make the change again.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:02 pm

Just made my change to UA on all my cards via chat. Should I wait a day to make my purchase?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
Just made my change to UA on all my cards via chat. Should I wait a day to make my purchase?
No need. Just log back in you your account and make sure it is updated. Says UA you are good to go. But do check. I have had them not update after making the request.

TD
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by phant0m
If you wait a day you should know if others are getting the credit for these purchases...
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by ffI
Best news of the new year! Goodbye DL and WN - it was a passing fancy but my old reliable is back up
Now to spend the rest of today on 50$ charges on many many cards :-)
The real question is for 3-5 days from now - will the credits post? - so perhaps I should do a test run first

These are the cards that get travel fees reimbursed
200$ Amex Personal Platinum
200$ Amex Business Platinum
250$ Amex Hilton Aspire
250$ Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
250$ Chase Sapphire Reserve
300$ Chase Ritz carlton Card
100$ BofA Premium Rewards card
250$ Citi Prestige card
This card should not be on that list. It gets $300 credit on Marriott charges, but not airlines or general travel:
Also some of these cards will allow ANY travel purchase, so there's no need to tie up funds in the Travelbank. Just use for a normal ticket/hotel/etc purchase.
250$ Citi Prestige card
lsquare and chrumbles like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Best news of the new year! Goodbye DL and WN - it was a passing fancy but my old reliable is back up
Now to spend the rest of today on 50$ charges on many many cards :-)
The real question is for 3-5 days from now - will the credits post? - so perhaps I should do a test run first

These are the cards that get travel fees reimbursed
200$ Amex Personal Platinum
200$ Amex Business Platinum
250$ Amex Hilton Aspire
300$ Chase Ritz carlton Card
100$ BofA Premium Rewards card
250$ Citi Prestige card
Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you $300, not $250 lol. and you can use that for ANY travel-related expense, not just TravelBank!!
Xyzzy, lsquare and aquanine like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AMEXMLA
Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you $300, not $250 lol. and you can use that for ANY travel-related expense, not just TravelBank!!
If Chase required its customers to pick a single airline or hotel chain or ride sharing company to use the $300 travel credit, and only allowed you to use it on incidental expenses, its customer base would revolt.
friedablass, lsquare and levilevi like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If you wait a day you should know if others are getting the credit for these purchases...
I'd wait a full 24 hours at least to help ensure success
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yes, and I know it's very tempting to take the plunge, but datapoints will be coming in as early as tomorrow. We'll certainly know if it'll still work before the end of this week.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by STS-134
Okay now I see it. I was looking down at the benefit itself and scrolled right past the stuff at the top, which I have a habit of ignoring because stuff in that space tends to be ads (including on FT). I'm pretty sure that at some point, you had to scroll down to the benefit itself and the meter was down there. Transactions have not yet posted for me and the meter is still at $0 so no datapoint yet.
Yes, the meter can only be viewed by scrolling down to like the middle of the page at one point. I don't remember when the change was made, but it must be within the past year or two.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:02 pm

Just wondering if it’s possible to get a claw back from Amex if I load UA TB today and close the Amex account in a week assuming the UA TB load being credited
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:44 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by rollingby
What is the 250$ Amex Bonvoy Brilliant credit you're referencing? There is a $300 Marriott Bonvoy Statement Credit, but nothing I see that would be triggered by a travelbank purchase.
Sorry - I had downgraded it and forgot it was only to Marriott Charges
Originally Posted by dayone
$100 Penfed Pathfinder Visa
Will add to list
Originally Posted by gpicur
FWIW - I just used my Amex to buy $250 worth of Travel Bank Credit at united.com/offers/travelcash. The transaction was quick and easy.
NOW, let's see how United codes it to Amex and if I get the $200 Platinum Card Credit. I will keep you all posted.
In the mean time, are there any good mileage transfers expected, especially to Delta or LATAM ?
In general since we are only supposed to use it for incidental charges, I think it i s much better to do 50$ at a time at most 100
Originally Posted by haner
Just bought 2x$100, 1x$50 on Aspire 2x$100 Amex Biz Platinum
Waiting for the above credit to post before P2 2x$100 on Amex personal plat.. otherwise, she will kill me if they don't credit.
Always a good idea not to get killed
Originally Posted by jameswes
There's never been an AmEx transfer bonus to Delta or LATAM, so I doubt it's expected
There was a massive batch of bonuses, many at 40% in September. I personally doubt they'd do another big push so soon, but perhaps for one or two partners?
Not true - During the Great Recession - 50k Amex miles transfer gave 100k DL and 25k MQM! - For a brief time then MR value was more than SPG on DL forums and CC
After they came out of bankruptcy and became stronger, I agree DL is now driving Amex, not the other way around.
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Wells Fargo Propel World $100
Will add to list
Originally Posted by AMEXMLA
Thanks. I will charge the last 50$ that I was holding off, I assumed it was 250 like the Aspire. Then I can downgrade before the fee hits
Last year I got 1.5c credit for a whole bunch of groceries, so it is hard to know what redemption credit was for the "travel " that was actually changed to groceries
The 50$ charges were so monotonous that I did 6 on the P2 account and was worrying about getting killed - now no worries
haner likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:53 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by pll9394
Just wondering if it’s possible to get a claw back from Amex if I load UA TB today and close the Amex account in a week assuming the UA TB load being credited
Happened to P3 acct - lost 65k (5k spend +60k bonus for P Plat) in 2019 due to RAT team. reopened a Schwab card in 2021 - no problem getting bonuses so far
I was careless and trying to save the Amex - as I had a Business Plus card, I thought it will keep Amex MR alive.
Now, if you plan to do things like that empty Amex MR first then it does not matter.
2020 March when pandemic started I cashed a whole lot of Amex in multiplayer accounts P1-5 before closing them all after getting rebates in Feb
However cutting it fine by closing the account just a couple days after rebates may matter - may not if you do not intend to keep MR around

Last year got a whole lot of offers in early Jan - GoldBelly - Home Chef, Home Depot etc etc on my account - did them all and then downgraded card to Green card at annual fee time

Just now, while going to verify this from the Amex account, I saw a 140k offer to upgrade to my other charge card - Business Gold - to business Plat card for 10k spend
The I got an offer to add employee cards offer for 20k bonus for 4k spend x5 = 100k bonus
Plan 4k x 5 on 5 employee cards - will qualify for both offers = 140+100= 240 bonus for 20k spend = tax time coming up = 10% rebate at least

Make Purchases More Rewarding with Valuable Business Platinum Benefits You've been selected to upgrade to the Business Platinum Card®, a Card with new premier benefits and exclusive offers designed for you, your business, and the road ahead. As a welcome offer, earn an extra 140,000 Membership Rewards® points† after you spend $10,000 in purchases on the Card in the first three months of Card Membership. Points have no expiration date, so you can use them when you're ready.† ‡†Offer & Benefit Terms

¤Rates &

Last edited by ffI; Jan 4, 2022 at 6:11 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:56 pm
ffI

Originally Posted by brc01
Just to clarify to manage expectations, it's possible we will see some tentative DPs of meter movement on Wednesday but full DPs of reimbursement posting to account won't occur until Thursday as it takes 1 extra day for credits to appear (then backdated to previous day).
It has taken up to 2-3 days to get automatic credits in the past. So for Charges on 1/3 - posts on 1/5 - Credit by 1/7 or so. By the weekend we will know for sure
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:25 pm

ffl, could you please share more info on the case you described for P3?

So many people are doing triple dips, so this problem would occur much more often if getting your credits in January and then shortly closing the account would be a violation of T&C. Is that possible that in case of your P3 the account was closed just short of 12 full months?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.