Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
i have been trying to book my cat for a number of MIA flights and NONE will allow adding the pet to the booking. the message says to call UA which I refuse to do
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sabya31
Alas, the travel bank did not survive in 2022! I hope that the United's modified upcoming travel bank program to work for Amex airline credit.
We don't really know if the TB was discontinued or is temporarily unavailable. It could come back tomorrow for all we know. I suppose if it doesn't come back by July, I could have my parents buy E+ seats with it, and then I'll purchase the WiFi on the same flight. As a UA*G, I can only get one other person into E+. Last year, I just paid UA cash for all of us to sit in F on our flight to HNL because it was such a good deal and the 773 had true Polaris seating. This year, they're back to 772s and 2-2-2 seating so it's not really worth it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: AM EX PLAT, DELTA, AA, SW, UA
Hi sorry for the newbie question, but where can I find info about using the am ex $200.00 incidental credits for Southwest?

Many thanks, sorry if I should have located this info somewhere. Appreciate your help.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Pretty sure in previous January's the system allowed me to select a new airline online. Now it just lists last year's airline. Waiting in chat queue to change.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:32 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Tried switching from UA to WN today but there was no way I could do it. Does anybody have similar exp?
Same issue. No way to do it online as yet - Again it was a functionality that seems to have gone away - Typical Amex - allow 1 month to do it and make sure half the month the site is nonoperational
Jan 1 I had a problem with TB and started reading up FT forums on WN and DL. As it stands, the plan is to maximize WN credits by booking flights under 100$; combine 3 credits to one credit and hopefully 3 Amex cards - 2 credits each - become 2 credits or even 1 at the end of a long process.
The chat function is frozen for me - ? hordes of FT people on chat at the same time, blowing out the Amex servers? .....
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:34 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by wolfmom
Hi sorry for the newbie question, but where can I find info about using the am ex $200.00 incidental credits for Southwest?
Many thanks, sorry if I should have located this info somewhere. Appreciate your help.
Just go to the top of this page
Go Back FlyerTalk Forums >Miles&Points >Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs >American Express | Membership Rewards >Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Click on the Amex Membership rewards and look for the thread on 200$ fee reimbursement on WN
Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)
done

btw, real restraint there - 4 posts in 10 yrs ! welcome to FT

Last edited by ffI; Jan 2, 2022 at 5:57 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:50 pm

Additional Collection?

Does anyone know if additional collection works for united flights like it does for Delta? Or any other effective workarounds for using credits for flights now that travel bank is inactive?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by peacock777
Does anyone know if additional collection works for united flights like it does for Delta? ....
Maybe. See this post from October: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33640181-post1584.html , but note that the reimbursed amounts were small. American Express' system may assume that any transaction lower than a threshold is a reimbursable fee. We would need systematic testing to find the maximum amount that will be reimbursed automatically..
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by italdesign
Pretty sure in previous January's the system allowed me to select a new airline online. Now it just lists last year's airline. Waiting in chat queue to change.
Same issue here. I don't want to change mine but will it work for the same airline or do I have to wait to be able to select it again? IIRC in previous years it would zero out and you'd have to go manually select it

No meter either. So I'm going to wait.

Last edited by demkr; Jan 2, 2022 at 8:17 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:11 pm

Anyone knows if Amex airline incidental credit triggers if paying for additional baggage for a United ticket using the link below? I know that airline credit is supposed work for bag fee as per the term.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...paid-bags.html
pickle_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by demkr
I don't want to change mine but will it work for the same airline or do I have to wait to be able to select it again? IIRC in previous years it would zero out and you'd have to go manually select it
I think you don’t recall correctly. Pretty sure in past years you didn’t have to do anything if you wanted to keep your selection, and you had one month to make a change (though in practice you could get CS to change your selection later in the year as long as you hadn’t triggered any credits yet).
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Tried switching from UA to WN today but there was no way I could do it. Does anybody have similar exp?
Originally Posted by mia
Reloading www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice will sometimes display the [Select an Airline] button, but it doesn't work yet. If you want to change today I would use the Chat function. I would also wait until Monday to make a purchase to be sure the change has populated all of the required databases.
We can see that American Express is working on the online airline selection feature. They have added separate URL's for each Platinum Card variant, these did not appear on Saturday. When using a Chrome Incognito window I can reliably force the [Select an Airline] button to appear, but it doesn't work yet. For now the only way to switch is Chat or Telephone, but I expect the online facility will work soon.

Also, it is normal for Airline Fee Reimbursements to be delayed in January. Do not panic.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Travel Bank DP, end of 2021

Just wanted to share my Travel Bank/AmEx Plat DP, which was a bit weird because it took place across New Years.

Chose United as my airline on 12/30
Made 2x $100 Travel Bank purchases on 12/30
Credited on 01/03 for full $200.

Airline Fee tracking bar shows $0 reimbursed out of $200, so looks like it did get correctly credited for 2021 — I had been concerned that they would treat it as a 2022 transaction since it didn't fully post until the 1st.

My guess is as good as anyone's what's going on /w Travel Bank now.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cubs105
I sent a DM to United on Twitter and got a response that going forward Travel Bank had been discontinued but a new and exciting program will be launching soon to replace it. So that’s what I got but we will see what happens next
I just hope that new and exciting program, if true, will trigger Amex and Ritz Carlton reimbursements...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:02 am

I am now able to log into Travelbank again, when before I was getting the "offer has ended" language. Has anyone had the same result and had success purchasing?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.