Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:13 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by STS-134
I wonder if any United execs are watching the numbers with amusement and whether they are making bets on how many dollars worth of transactions will be made in the first 24 hours since the site was brought back online.
Assuming a 100 nuts like us (and a 10x number of lurkers and not FT) = 1,000 each doing 1000$ average = that is about 1M on the first working day of the year
I do not think that is noticeable for UA, but for travel bank specifically it may well be a seasonal spike
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:15 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by former1k
Apparently just a unfortunately timed year end maintenance. Multi-day outages are a thing of the past at most shops, but I guess not for UA TB In any case, a simple "down for annual maintenance" is infinitely more accurate than "Offer has expired". Lots of people with lost money on the table.
So.... the rumored "exciting new program" told to someone was just hot air then. Not surprising, UA CSRs and social media employees don't really know, but might try to enthusiastically put a positive spin on it.
I can laugh now, but I was one of the affected with quite a few cards with less value than I thought. So I have gone half in and will do the balance next week if this posts
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:19 pm

Made few TB purchases, but holding off for more until they reimburse. Hoping, this sticks around at least until positive DP's
koyao likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Has anyone being able to change the AMEX airline choice online?

Would you wait until positive DPs of reimbursement are confirmed?

Last edited by nk15; Jan 3, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sivaru
If possible, could folks add whether they purchased the TravelBank credits using a mobile or desktop device? I know some businesses differentiate card processors (unnecessarily) on very rare occasions.
used my Imac desktop....showing up as united electronic ticketing which is what it showed the last time I got the credit...so hopefully it will work
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
Assuming a 100 nuts like us (and a 10x number of lurkers and not FT) = 1,000 each doing 1000$ average = that is about 1M on the first working day of the year
I do not think that is noticeable for UA, but for travel bank specifically it may well be a seasonal spike
But this is an industry where one airline saved 5 figures by cutting one olive from the first class salad, so the bean counters may notice, even if it's only a small blip in the total revenue. The question to ask is how much of that incoming revenue causes even more revenue to come in as people use it to book flights that they might have taken on competitor airlines?
lsquare and aquanine like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nk15
Has anyone being able to change the AMEX airline choice online?

Would you wait until positive DPs of reimbursement are confirmed?
I changed it using the chat utility.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Citi Prestige is confirmed to work with all TravelBank denominations? I just used it for dining last year.
I don't know if it is confirmed to work but I would assume it would since it is an airline. That said Citi has renewed the restaurant and grocery credit again this year so you could easily use this way again if that is your preference.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:20 pm

If I had United picked as my airline last year, will it automatically roll over so I can purchase TB without selecting it as my airline again? Or do I need to repeat the process to select the airline, then wait, then buy TB?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
All automated? It appeared like it was going to work but then said it would be bringing on a representative to assist me further. Wish the box would just be there on the Benefits page so I could do it myself... since it is January and it's supposed to be the one month we can adjust it.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:29 pm

You don't need to repeat the selection from last year. You can see the currently "Selected Airline" in the Benefits tab in your online account.
Jed Murakami likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Do people think it is too risky to change the airline to UA before we see a DP? Or is it riskier to wait, in case the Travel Bank goes away again?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Jed Murakami
If I had United picked as my airline last year, will it automatically roll over so I can purchase TB without selecting it as my airline again? Or do I need to repeat the process to select the airline, then wait, then buy TB?
It should have what you selected in previous year.
$200 Airline Fee Credit Selected Airline:United Airlines
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Thanks for all the people who are submitting for reimbursement immediately. I currently have another airline selected and will wait for the first positive DPs of reimbursement before swapping over to UA!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
Do people think it is too risky to change the airline to UA before we see a DP? Or is it riskier to wait, in case the Travel Bank goes away again?
Personally if I didn't have UA selected, I wouldn't change yet. But since I had UA already selected and I will definitely fly UA this year, I figured it was zero risk to try it.
renila, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.