Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
I assume based on how this is charged you can't stack the THC/FHR credit with the AMEX Hilton offer? Actually should be fine because I'm looking at a 3 day stay but just confirming that is the case in which case I'll make 2 separate reservations.

Separately I also have my $250 Hilton Aspire credit but maybe I'll just put that down as the room charges card and then that can cover any meals or parking at the hotel
You can't stack, but you can certainly do both if you have a long stay.
Duke787 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:27 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Cris
Any recent data points for length of time it took for credit to hit? Booked an eligible stay (confirmed by Amex Chat) on June 23rd and still nothing yet. They told me to just keep waiting up to the 90 days.
Same issue here for a booking I made on 6/25.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Something must be going on with the credits lately. Still no credit from a purchase 06/23. I signed up for the Schwab Platinum right before they announced all the new credits and raised the annual fee so wanted to cancel this month, will I still get credits even if the account is closed but I purchased it before I closed it?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Something must be going on with the credits lately. Still no credit from a purchase 06/23. I signed up for the Schwab Platinum right before they announced all the new credits and raised the annual fee so wanted to cancel this month, will I still get credits even if the account is closed but I purchased it before I closed it?
No
Old Jul 23, 2023, 5:16 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by SP03
No
sometimes
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by frank_10b
sometimes
Such as?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Any further DP of credits in the last month or so? I may attempt to make another purchase and refund my precious credit if things do not credit automatically
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Any further DP of credits in the last month or so? I may attempt to make another purchase and refund my precious credit if things do not credit automatically
Charged July 14, credit posted July 18.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Recent DP

Maid a prepaid booking on July 19
received credit on July 21

Needed a 1 night stay in NYC, chose the Wall Street Hotel. good value - hotel was about $380 total. Used $100 credit for dinner at hotel restaurant, was given $30 for breakfast, used it for room service. Nice hotel, would stay again.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 12:25 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Recent DP

Maid a prepaid booking on July 19
received credit on July 21

Needed a 1 night stay in NYC, chose the Wall Street Hotel. good value - hotel was about $380 total. Used $100 credit for dinner at hotel restaurant, was given $30 for breakfast, used it for room service. Nice hotel, would stay again.
Now there's a "Maid In Manhattan" :-)
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:34 pm

Hotel points

Any data on which hotel chains give reward points in their programs when you book through one of the Amex programs? Also who do I reach out to if I don’t get points, Amex or the hotel chain? I did put in the rewards number when I booked through Amex travel.

below is from the Amex website
When you book a Fine Hotels + Resorts®️ or The Hotel Collection stay through American Express Travel®️ you’ll earn Membership Rewards®️ points. Plus, you still earn loyalty points with hotels1.
Explore Benefits
1Hotel brands with loyalty or rewards programs and the terms and conditions applicable thereto are subject to change. Please contact hotels directly for information on individual loyalty or reward program rules and restrictions. Card Members may be required to provide correct loyalty information upon arrival to the property.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by joejoe2
Any data on which hotel chains give reward points in their programs when you book through one of the Amex programs? Also who do I reach out to if I don’t get points, Amex or the hotel chain? I did put in the rewards number when I booked through Amex travel.

When you book a Fine Hotels + Resorts®️ or The Hotel Collection stay through American Express Travel®️ you’ll earn Membership Rewards®️ points. Plus, you still earn loyalty points with hotels1.
Explore Benefits
1Hotel brands with loyalty or rewards programs and the terms and conditions applicable thereto are subject to change. Please contact hotels directly for information on individual loyalty or reward program rules and restrictions. Card Members may be required to provide correct loyalty information upon arrival to the property.
Contact hotel if points don't post
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Explore Benefits
You should get rewards points with all of them - you may or may not get elite benefits that stack/combine with FHR benefits depending on the program or property.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Same issue here for a booking I made on 6/25.
Same. Im ~60 days in post stay and still no credit. Pretty annoying, AMEX used to credit very quickly.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

Explore Benefits
I booked Amex Hotel Collection a few months ago and received Hyatt Explorer upgrade and Hotel Collection upgrade (to club lounge) $100 credit, and all points within a day.
MaxVO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.